Friendliest towns where people smile at the white man (me)?

wacobay

If someone approaches you with a smile, that's a good sign and time to flee. The smile is the first sign you're about to get conned, or that they want something from you. Specially if you get one of those people who likes to touch you on the arm every sentence they say. Run like hell from those people, had one of those guys today, my friend my friend, where are you from, 5 minutes later "i want to start a business, will you invest?", "No thanks, I'm not into xxxx industry, I don't invest there."

What I have noticed about Filipino's during my visits and living there, is that when I went for a walk and went past them, they would often duck their head like they didn't see me, but if I said "maayo buntag", I would get that big smile from them and a "maayo buntag "in return. The couple of times I have ran into a scam was when they approached me with a big smile. They might just be friendly and  want to practice their English, but be on your guard.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrlondon

• smokey

• udonthani

• Davaoeno

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe it was the environment you were in and how you reacted to it rather than the town you were in that made the difference. Sometimes in an urban (lots of people) environment, we tend to be a little

I went to Davao in April and I had a lot of smiles and the people were friendly. Example of how friendly and helpful they were is.   I went to meet my ex for the first time and when I was on the

One thing in the Philippines that I like is that generally you have a clean slate and people treat you the way you treat them. It's very simple- respect others and they will respect you. It's a mirror

Davaoeno

but if I said "maayo buntag", I would get that big smile from them

me too - but more so when its afternoon or evening and I'm sure they are thinking " doesnt this foreigner own a watch ?"   :yahoo:

ThomsonJr

Actually the place i felt least friendly in the phils was Catarman, Samar.  why dont know just the feeling i got there.  

I had the same feeling when I visited Cagayan de Oro...

RPretire

MrLondon,

Be sure to stay out of Boring Bohol they have ALOT of Bolos for gaurding daughters from Pervs (Not so Friendly).  Mindanao the Abu-Msef will give (Friendly smiles) and MORE.  Be sure to post here all your adventures here. 

Edited by RPretire?
Davaoeno

Mindanao the Abu-Msef will give (Friendly smiles) and MORE

I would love to know more about these Msefs !!  Do they give friendly smiles to everyone ?  Maybe they work for the Dept of Tourism ?

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

With regards to big city vs small town: I'd think it is the same all over the world. In a bigger place people are more reserved. Smaller place means more easy-going people.

Cities do something do people..!

I went to Davao in April and I had a lot of smiles and the people were friendly.

Example of how friendly and helpful they were is.

I went to meet my ex for the first time and when I was on the plane from Manila to Davao I opened a pack of chewing gum gave 2 to the old lady next to me and the 26 year old girl on the other side of me. I got chatting to the girl and she was really nice.

Then after we arrived in Davao I couldn't find my ex because I had no phone to ring to tell her I was there, So the girl on the plane seen me just before she left an asked If everything was ok or do I need help. I told her my situation and she said I can use her phone because she can call an text a certain network free.

Turns out my exes phone isn't the same network as the girl, so she takes me to the security guard who's outside the entrance at the airport and explains to him, So he gets his phone out and again he has no load only free to a certain network. He calls a woman over I think she worked in the airport, She let me use her phone and my ex an her brother was waiting on the other side of the entrance lol.

I offered 50 peso for the call but the woman declined it, I insisted but again she refused to take it.

The girl I met on the plane had to go so I said thanks for the help etc and said our goodbyes, I should of got her number to stay friends but it's just one of them things when you don't ask.

Anyway just thought I would share my experience I had because before I went to Philippines I was actually paranoid and kind of scared from all the things I've read about corruption from police and scammers etc.

Overall the people I came across in Davao City were all friendly and made my time there great.

As the saying goes - "just use common sense"

I had a similar experience at the manila airport the first time except the  shook me down for $4 usd & 100 pesos after I used her phone :ROFLMAO:

• Like 1
quit_yume

If you judge by the profiles on dateinasia.com then Basilan has the prettiest girls.. hehe....

i was always told a fool smiles often   ha

That puts me firmly in the fool category.. I can live with that...

If you judge by the profiles on dateinasia.com then Basilan has the prettiest girls.. hehe....

Near Zamboanga. In the middle of the "Do not travel under any circumstance" zone according to my nations travel advice.

quit_yume

Near Zamboanga. In the middle of the "Do not travel under any circumstance" zone according to my nations travel advice.

exactly...   its amazing how the bakla have access to pictures of so many beautiful models..  i think its because they do all their costumes and makeup..  lol

• 2 weeks later...
stingray615

Quick question... if a guy were to want to come visit the PI for a few weeks, and had never been there, to get an idea of what it's like, where would be the best place to stay.. reasonably priced of course?  Would he want to rent a hotel room for the entire time? 

BTW, This forum is great, I've paged thru the posts and have gotten several laughs, and a good sense of what the people are like, and what a foreigner can expect.  I'm learning what to look for when looking for a woman, and what to be careful of.  Right now, the extent of my lady search has been limited to Cherry Blossoms. No doubt, I'll have a great network of expats to gain from your experience... so, thank you!

Quick question... if a guy were to want to come visit the PI for a few weeks, and had never been there, to get an idea of what it's like, where would be the best place to stay.. reasonably priced of course?  Would he want to rent a hotel room for the entire time? 

Reasonably priced to some locals could be 250 pesos a night. Other more wealthy people consider 2,000 or 3,000 per night to be reasonable.  What's your budget? ;)

stingray615

Well, I only need a place to sleep and shower, maybe @ $20-$30 a night, would that be reasonable for a 30 day stay?  Haha, This is why I'm here, to try to avoid any bad choices while I'm there! hahaha  I don't need or want the center of town or anything, just a homebase to carry out my missions :-)

After spending 1 week in Cebu city, I decided to spend a night in Lapu Lapu (Mactan), since I had an early flight to Cagayan D O. In 1 short afternoon I had already made 4 nice female friends. This is about the same spontaneous friendly chats as I had managed to acheive in a WEEK in Cebu city!

I starting wondering why are people so friendly (literally everywhere I looked I received eye contact from pretty girls, and often smiles!). In Cebu City on the other hand, people seem positively cold! So, in order of openness to foreigners, my list of places I've been, most friendly first: LapuLapu, Boracay*, Manila*, CDO, Cebu City. Just my experience lang.

Maybe this is because Lapu Lapu is less weathly, less "happening" less "scene"?! Or less dense!? But if I can make 4 friends in 3 hours, and nicer people than I would find on a dating site... I know I am going back.

Now here is my question: Can anyone relate to what I'm saying, and identify any other towns which are equally as friendly to the white skinned man?!? Important question... Thanks for the help kuya/ ate.

...... I have the complete opposite opinion and experience. Lapu-Lapu (Mactan) is where we stayed at Shangri La - most expensive and least friendly place we stayed in all the Philippines. Every place else we went people were very friendly and cost a fraction of what I would've spent in the United States.