Friendliest towns where people smile at the white man (me)?

Now here is my question: Can anyone relate to what I'm saying, and identify any other towns which are equally as friendly to the white skinned man?!? Important question... Thanks for the help kuya/ ate.

I've lived several places in Cebu City and traveled to other places in the province and I get the same treatment. I find people here are very friendly to foreigners and to each other as well. I walk around often and most people smile and say hello ( usually Hey Joe or Americano) and the pretty women are always making eye contact and smiling. It's a bit uncomfortable at times, because usually I'm with my pretty wife, but it doesn't seem to bother her much.

As for women making eye contact and wanting to be 'friends', I've had similar experiences every place I've traveled in Asia. Certainly, the same happened in China when I was there, but also in Vietnam, Laos, Thailand and Cambodia. The nice thing here, especially compared to China is that everyone speaks English...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrlondon

• smokey

• udonthani

• Davaoeno

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe it was the environment you were in and how you reacted to it rather than the town you were in that made the difference. Sometimes in an urban (lots of people) environment, we tend to be a little

I went to Davao in April and I had a lot of smiles and the people were friendly. Example of how friendly and helpful they were is.   I went to meet my ex for the first time and when I was on the

One thing in the Philippines that I like is that generally you have a clean slate and people treat you the way you treat them. It's very simple- respect others and they will respect you. It's a mirror

I thought Camiguin was one of the friendliest places that I have visited in the Philippines... "Hey Joe" is replaced with "Hi Friend!" everywhere there.

• Like 2
smokey

the best places in the world are the places where people smile at me where the cutest girls smile at me and that can be anywhere in the world

• Like 1
Knowdafish

I find people here are very friendly to foreigners

True! Earlier in the week I had a record nine people say "good evening sir" during a 20 minute walk. 

udonthani

just blend in. Until you do, you will not know, what they really think of us. The last thing you should do, is claim you are this big man and I am going to sort out all the problems round here, start by marrying a local, and proceed by being a total nuisance, to the cops. Be careful.

Edited by udonthani

just blend in. Until you do, you will not know, what they really think of us. The last thing you should do, is claim you are this big man and I am going to sort out all the problems round here, start by marrying a local, and proceed by being a total nuisance, to the cops. Be careful.

The color of my skin, eyes, and hair keep me from blending in well.

udonthani

true, but the way you move, and the rhythm of your ways, can make up for that. If you work at it, you can almost - though perhaps not quite - make up for the discrepancy. Some kanos, definitely blend in better than others, The Filipinos, don't even see them.

samatm

Zambo has the cutest and friendliest girls

That or Tawi Tawi !!!!   

Knowdafish

true, but the way you move, and the rhythm of your ways, can make up for that. If you work at it, you can almost - though perhaps not quite - make up for the discrepancy. Some kanos, definitely blend in better than others, The Filipinos, don't even see them.

Maybe that explains why I am constantly trying not to get bumped into, - I'm invisible! 

This guy must feel the same way: http://philippinefailblog.com/im-an-invisible-man-in-philippines/

invisibleman2.gif

Edited by Knowdafish
tokyoman

That or Tawi Tawi !!!!   

The Bisayan girls from IPIL have very positive attitudes too

But then you have the risk of getting kidnapped

smokey

True! Earlier in the week I had a record nine people say "good evening sir" during a 20 minute walk.

try wearing underwear next time
  • Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Start by not being the loudest person in any setting... Hard for so many kanos in the Philippines - but practice makes perfect...

• Like 1

Start by not being the loudest person in any setting... Hard for so many kanos in the Philippines - but practice makes perfect...

I already have that mastered as a Minnesotan... quiet and reserved is the culture I grew up with... pretty much the opposite of some other groups of Americans like many from NY/NJ. :thumbsup:

senseless

After spending 1 week in Cebu city, I decided to spend a night in Lapu Lapu (Mactan), since I had an early flight to Cagayan D O. In 1 short afternoon I had already made 4 nice female friends. This is about the same spontaneous friendly chats as I had managed to acheive in a WEEK in Cebu city!

I starting wondering why are people so friendly (literally everywhere I looked I received eye contact from pretty girls, and often smiles!). In Cebu City on the other hand, people seem positively cold!  So, in order of openness to foreigners, my list of places I've been, most friendly first: LapuLapu, Boracay*, Manila*, CDO, Cebu City. Just my experience lang. 

Maybe this is because Lapu Lapu is less weathly, less "happening" less "scene"?! Or less dense!? But if I can make 4 friends in 3 hours, and nicer people than I would find on a dating site... I know I am going back.

Now here is my question: Can anyone relate to what I'm saying, and identify any other towns which are equally as friendly to the white skinned man?!? Important question... Thanks for the help kuya/ ate.

If someone approaches you with a smile, that's a good sign and time to flee. The smile is the first sign you're about to get conned, or that they want something from you. Specially if you get one of those people who likes to touch you on the arm every sentence they say. Run like hell from those people, had one of those guys today, my friend my friend, where are you from, 5 minutes later "i want to start a business, will you invest?", "No thanks, I'm not into xxxx industry, I don't invest there."

smokey

If someone approaches you with a smile, that's a good sign and time to flee. The smile is the first sign you're about to get conned, or that they want something from you. Specially if you get one of those people who likes to touch you on the arm every sentence they say. Run like hell from those people, had one of those guys today, my friend my friend, where are you from, 5 minutes later "i want to start a business, will you invest?", "No thanks, I'm not into xxxx industry, I don't invest there."

man your a clown hater... i heard of people like you always wanting to tweek our noses

hey this is off topic but i was wondering do you want to invest 100,000,000 peso in a clown school and to buy a shoe factory its hard to get size 30 shoes in cebu

• Like 1