Friendliest towns where people smile at the white man (me)?

goggleye

I am in Cebu now - I find people here mostly friendly and kind  - a few are stand- offish but many have probably been screwed over by expats.-  As I walk around i get smiles and hellos to my smiles and hellos-  Actually the place i felt least friendly in the phils was Catarman, Samar.  why dont know just the feeling i got there.   I find Cebu much friendlier than Manila on the whole.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrlondon

• smokey

• udonthani

• Davaoeno

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe it was the environment you were in and how you reacted to it rather than the town you were in that made the difference. Sometimes in an urban (lots of people) environment, we tend to be a little

I went to Davao in April and I had a lot of smiles and the people were friendly. Example of how friendly and helpful they were is.   I went to meet my ex for the first time and when I was on the

One thing in the Philippines that I like is that generally you have a clean slate and people treat you the way you treat them. It's very simple- respect others and they will respect you. It's a mirror

mrlondon

I became addicted to the friendliness back in 1982 on a plane full of them returning home. 

I would like to hear more of this story! Especially as I was not even born in 82.

mrlondon

I am in Cebu now - I find people here mostly friendly and kind  - a few are stand- offish but many have probably been screwed over by expats.-  As I walk around i get smiles and hellos to my smiles and hellos-  Actually the place i felt least friendly in the phils was Catarman, Samar.  why dont know just the feeling i got there.   I find Cebu much friendlier than Manila on the whole.

I think this all depends of your age and appearance. I'm 26 so i will receive a different reaction then a 50+ man would. 

A friend in cebu tells me "this city is all about appearances". 

Well, I don't dress to impress (read:homeless man look, joke lang!)  so perhaps that's why I feel Cebu city is less warm to me.

goggleye

I think this all depends of your age and appearance. I'm 26 so i will receive a different reaction then a 50+ man would. 

A friend in cebu tells me "this city is all about appearances". 

Well, I don't dress to impress (read:homeless man look, joke lang!)  so perhaps that's why I feel Cebu city is less warm to me.

I am 56 - my sweetheart says i am too charming  - i dont know about that - I usually am wearing khaki shorts and a t shirt with slippers- i also have too big a belly-  i dont know why but i am often asked in cebu - sir where is your wife? where is your gf?  sir im looking for a husband :-P   i would guess at your age you should have more interest than me.

• Like 2
JasonEcos

You know I've never sat down and thought about it but now that the subject is brought up I do think I get more attention on Mactan than in Cebu City.  Not that people are rude in Cebu City but they tend to just show less interest overall. Especially at the large malls where you see tons of foreigners.

If I smile and talk to someone in Cebu then they usually smile and talk back.  But on Mactan there seems to be more people just waiting for eye contact to strike up conversation.

And yes the way you dress can play a big role. If I wear freshly ironed khakis with a polo (you know..for those days I need to go to the Immigration office...) I get a lot more attention than when I wear my usual attire which is anything thats comfortable. In our area (near mercado in Lapu-Lapu) people typically have 3 types of clothing. 1 type to wear around the house and immediate neighborhood, another type for going out of the neighborhood but still close (mercado), and 1 type for going further away like Cebu City. The further you go from home, the nicer the clothes they wear are.

• Like 1
hyaku

Damn I wondered why people stared at me in my sarong.

• Like 2
udonthani

I believe there are a higher percentage of young single girls in Lapu Lapu due to the Export Processing Zones that employ thousands of them.  You might find a similar situation in the city of Danao where Mitsumi used to employ almost 20,000 (not sure about that figure now), mostly young women.

I don't think it was ever as high as that, 20,000. In fact I don't think it has ever been above 10,000. It is certainly less than 10,000 now.

speaking as somebody who used to make it their business to hang around there round about the shift changes and have knobbed something like six girls that worked there, they are not an especially friendly bunch, on the whole. This is what happens when they have got reasonably good jobs, which jobs at Mitsumi in Danao or Tsuneishi in Balamban are, compared to the norm.  Suddenly, they are not grinning and beaming in your face all of a sudden.

which is good. Because whenever anybody does that, grinning in your face, you can usually be pretty sure, that they ain't no friend of yours.

mrlondon

I speaking as somebody who used to make it their business to hang around there round about the shift changes and have knobbed something like six girls that worked there, they are not an especially friendly bunch, on the whole. 

You slept with 6 girls from there are they are "not especially friendly" ?! Can you explain?

Also, any tips on getting said girls into bed would be welcome. Just purely as a matter of interest, you understand.

udonthani

it is over about 7 years. The women who work there at Mitsumi are not as a whole especially young and good looking. When you see hundreds of them, all at once, it is actually quite rare that one comes across as being a bit of a knockout. They come from all over Cebu. Three of the girls I refer to used to work there but I met in other towns in Cebu, from which they were recruited. The company advertises, all over the island for new recruits, constantly. To replace the ones that they sack, constantly. Only the very best and most competent workers retain their jobs for years and years. I knew one girl age 27 who had worked there, since she was 17. But she is unusual. Most do not retain their jobs for anywhere like as long as that.

best time to be around there is just past the shift change on the Saturday night - about 7pm. Many of them take the next day off so that is the time when they unwind, just like when groups of workers might go to the pub after clocking off in the west on a Friday. The 'single' ones are usually not single. That is just what they tell the foreigners they chat to in internet cafes. Usually they have boyfriends, that might meet them at the factory gates, especially on Saturdays. And Saturday nights are the nights when they are likeliest to be in the various videoke places dotted around there. And this where you get an idea what they are like. They are work hard play hard kind of people. Gritty. They are OK. But they are not fluffy, smiley, and especially friendly types.

I knew one Mitsumi girl, from Toledo, who stayed at her aunties house in Consolacion. It turned out that she had a boyfriend who worked at the Tsuneishi works, in Balamban, but they did not see each other all that often, less than once a week. The Tsuneishi works is like the flipside of the Mitsumi works in Danao, There, it is all in reverse and 90% of the employees are male. That girl no longer works in Mitsumi. They might not have been able to see each other all that often, but eventually, the pinoy guy got her up the duff, she got the IVF treatment, and now she is back in Toledo at her parents house, unemployed, and with the baby.

Davaoeno

You slept with 6 girls from there are they are "not especially friendly" ?! Can you explain?

Also, any tips on getting said girls into bed would be welcome. Just purely as a matter of interest, you understand.

Possibly if you quoted what he actually said- rather than your truncated version -then it would become clear to you  !!

mrlondon

udonthani -
Thanks for the great follow up post. That was v interesting to read.

I have a question: if you were 26 now, and you were in the philippines for another 30 days, and you could go to any town to meet some nice girls, where would you go? I want to have fun and have a companion (or 2) for a little while. 

JasonEcos

u

I have a question: if you were 26 now, and you were in the philippines for another 30 days, and you could go to any town to meet some nice girls, where would you go? I want to have fun and have a companion (or 2) for a little while. 

Do you mean "nice girls" or "easy girls" because there is a big difference between the two. If you're just looking for a fling go to the bars. Lots of girls there. Getting a nice girl is a whole different story.

SkyMan

Back to the OP.  Some of the difference you may notice may come from the number of foreigners they are likely to see.  There are plenty of foreigners in CC so we're not so much of a novelty to look, stare, smile at.

POTATOMAN

Do you mean "nice girls" or "easy girls" because there is a big difference between the two. If you're just looking for a fling go to the bars. Lots of girls there. Getting a nice girl is a whole different story.

get on the t'interweb thingy, it's like pizza delivery. 

• Like 2