Friendliest towns where people smile at the white man (me)?

mrlondon

After spending 1 week in Cebu city, I decided to spend a night in Lapu Lapu (Mactan), since I had an early flight to Cagayan D O. In 1 short afternoon I had already made 4 nice female friends. This is about the same spontaneous friendly chats as I had managed to acheive in a WEEK in Cebu city!

I starting wondering why are people so friendly (literally everywhere I looked I received eye contact from pretty girls, and often smiles!). In Cebu City on the other hand, people seem positively cold!  So, in order of openness to foreigners, my list of places I've been, most friendly first: LapuLapu, Boracay*, Manila*, CDO, Cebu City. Just my experience lang. 

Maybe this is because Lapu Lapu is less weathly, less "happening" less "scene"?! Or less dense!? But if I can make 4 friends in 3 hours, and nicer people than I would find on a dating site... I know I am going back.

Now here is my question: Can anyone relate to what I'm saying, and identify any other towns which are equally as friendly to the white skinned man?!? Important question... Thanks for the help kuya/ ate.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrlondon

• smokey

• udonthani

• T.S.

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe it was the environment you were in and how you reacted to it rather than the town you were in that made the difference. Sometimes in an urban (lots of people) environment, we tend to be a little

I went to Davao in April and I had a lot of smiles and the people were friendly. Example of how friendly and helpful they were is.   I went to meet my ex for the first time and when I was on the

One thing in the Philippines that I like is that generally you have a clean slate and people treat you the way you treat them. It's very simple- respect others and they will respect you. It's a mirror

Britishandproud

I went to Davao in April and I had a lot of smiles and the people were friendly.

Example of how friendly and helpful they were is.

I went to meet my ex for the first time and when I was on the plane from Manila to Davao I opened a pack of chewing gum gave 2 to the old lady next to me and the 26 year old girl on the other side of me. I got chatting to the girl and she was really nice.

Then after we arrived in Davao I couldn't find my ex because I had no phone to ring to tell her I was there, So the girl on the plane seen me just before she left an asked If everything was ok or do I need help. I told her my situation and she said I can use her phone because she can call an text a certain network free.

Turns out my exes phone isn't the same network as the girl, so she takes me to the security guard who's outside the entrance at the airport and explains to him, So he gets his phone out and again he has no load only free to a certain network. He calls a woman over I think she worked in the airport, She let me use her phone and my ex an her brother was waiting on the other side of the entrance lol.

I offered 50 peso for the call but the woman declined it, I insisted but again she refused to take it.

The girl I met on the plane had to go so I said thanks for the help etc and said our goodbyes, I should of got her number to stay friends but it's just one of them things when you don't ask.

Anyway just thought I would share my experience I had because before I went to Philippines I was actually paranoid and kind of scared from all the things I've read about corruption from police and scammers etc.

Overall the people I came across in Davao City were all friendly and made my time there great.

As the saying goes - "just use common sense"

• Like 7

One thing in the Philippines that I like is that generally you have a clean slate and people treat you the way you treat them. It's very simple- respect others and they will respect you. It's a mirror of you.

Brilliant!

Now you can't do it here in the USA- they will think you a sicko, a weirdo, a homo, a sexual harasser, a hypocrite, a butterer-up, etc.

Our Western societies are socially ill. And mentally ill as well.

• Like 6
SomeRandomGuy

ha  maybe we are just better educated  and believe alot in stranger danger.....

i was always told a fool smiles often   ha

people can be great here  people can be shit here too         in general people are friendly and nice     some times people read the paper  and see a foreigner doing a bad thing  so the rest of the day  foreigner  is bad   tomorrow  it will be something else 

also  it might just have been  u were there on either the 15th  or the 30th   ive noticed people are happier  on those days      :stooges:

• Like 1

Wait until you get to smaller towns especially those in Southern Leyte. :P

Headshot

Wait until you get to smaller towns especially those in Southern Leyte. :P

What happens then?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Bohol I have always found very nice and safe, never a problem in 4 visits, but like most towns there are very poor parts that you should avoid or use caution.

SirMadrigal

Bohol I have always found very nice and safe, never a problem in 4 visits, but like most towns there are very poor parts that you should avoid or use caution.

yes if there is a provincial town in the Philippines called Chicago or Detroit avoid it all costs.

mrlondon

The topic wasn't about safety.... it was about friendliness of locals.

• Like 1
panther

ah yes good ol lapu lapu ive lived there for 2 years and yes lots of girls smile at me but unfortunately having the g f with me i can,t smile back as as the ol bolo would come out very quick indeed lol

easy44

I believe there are a higher percentage of young single girls in Lapu Lapu due to the Export Processing Zones that employ thousands of them.  You might find a similar situation in the city of Danao where Mitsumi used to employ almost 20,000 (not sure about that figure now), mostly young women.

Edited by easy44
hyaku

I became addicted to the friendliness back in 1982 on a plane full of them returning home. Musicians included the flight came to life. Sadly I'm not so happy now because although I like the interaction the friendliness is for the wrong reasons. I am shocked at kids being too friendly with strange men as they could be a pervs target and of course pissed off when I'm trying to shop and some bayot flashes his eyes wearing his heavy makeup and miniskirt with the 'Hallo Siiirr'

Edited by hyaku
  • Like 1
smokey

One thing in the Philippines that I like is that generally you have a clean slate and people treat you the way you treat them. It's very simple- respect others and they will respect you. It's a mirror of you.

Brilliant!

Now you can't do it here in the USA- they will think you a sicko, a weirdo, a homo, a sexual harasser, a hypocrite, a butterer-up, etc.

wow i smile at everyone and give a nod i even give small amounts to people i see are in need why do you think they think YOU are all them things