Sign in to follow this  
BobX

ATMs that allow greater than 10,000 pesos?

ed villas

REally pissed off when my US issued Citibank card was charged 200 p per transaction from a Citi ATM !    I can understand (sort of  .. out of network fees...) but the same freakin' bank ?????) 

fr

yes I too was Pxxx off by these bozos, they claimed i was using a US ISSUED CARD

and they was a Philippine  bank not an US BANK

SkyMan

I don't any fees to get my money from the US and that has nothing to do with my having accounts here..

can you share this advice?

this forum has many ppl who want to save that extra centavo ..

please..... :kissass: :kissass: :kissass:

Edited by ed villas

samatm

yes I too was Pxxx off by these bozos, they claimed i was using a US ISSUED CARD

and they was a Philippine  bank not an US BANK

Grrrrrrr  i know the feeling buddy. 

• Like 1

bulldoggy26_cute

I can just agree about HSBC.. it seems that they are the only one to offer withdraw with zero fee. Also, I heard it's possible to manage different currencies on your account without extra charges on the currency conversion. So far, the best option.

Edited by frederic_BEPH

Runian

I use HSBC near ayala, allowing 60 000 / day and max 40 000 at a time, cost is 200 php / time 

then I take my wad of 1K bills, go inside the bank and change it down to all the other smaller denominations I need. 

HTM

I use HSBC near ayala, allowing 60 000 / day and max 40 000 at a time, cost is 200 php / time 

then I take my wad of 1K bills, go inside the bank and change it down to all the other smaller denominations I need. 

No! That need to be your bank, I have withdrawals over 200K the same day!

• Like 1

Runian

No! That need to be your bank, I have withdrawals over 200K the same day!

Cool, nice to know.

R

Pettersson

Charles Schwab reimburses ALL fees on a monthly basis with no account minimum. It is the very best deal that I know of.

usaa refunds up to $15.00 a month,

usage of HSBC and CITIBANK will allow over 10k . the rest at 10k

HSBC is the only bank that does not charge that 200p fee now,

I just got back from the Philippines and used my Schwab Bank card for two ATM withdrawals there.  Once in BPI ATM and once in BDO ATM.  Both times the 200 php fee was just added to the total withdrawal, so the Schwab bank will not even see that there was a 200 php fee each time that they should be reimbursing for.  With 5k php withdrawals each time this meant that I only got about 42.7 php per USD while the best exchange counters were giving 44 php per USD for cash at the same time.  So, the main stinker here is that the bank fee reimbursment policy is useless if the bank that owns the Philippines ATM will not post the 200 php fee as a separate withdrawal from the US account and somehow label it as a fee, like all the ATMs in the USA do.

Edited by Pettersson

Wolfpack

my suggestion, dont withdraw more than you need...use credit or debit cards instead of carrying cash on hand...and have more then one debit card/credit card in country but not at the same location...i.e., carry one...leave the other at a secure location elsewhere...

I personally don't see any need to have more than 10,000 pesos on you at any one time...so why the need to withdraw more?

if you are making a big purchase such as a car...you can wire money to the dealership...

Kodiak570

my suggestion, dont withdraw more than you need...use credit or debit cards instead of carrying cash on hand...and have more then one debit card/credit card in country but not at the same location...i.e., carry one...leave the other at a secure location elsewhere...

I personally don't see any need to have more than 10,000 pesos on you at any one time...so why the need to withdraw more?

if you are making a big purchase such as a car...you can wire money to the dealership...

Even two years ago this was almost unheard of unless you were in the mall. Now I see many retailers, restaurants, shops, kiosks, all have the ability to accept credit card payments. Quite a nice change. Still not all......but more than before.

Edit: Clarification

Edited by Kodiak570

ed villas
I just got back from the Philippines and used my Schwab Bank card for two ATM withdrawals there. Once in BPI ATM and once in BDO ATM. Both times the 200 php fee was just added to the total withdrawal, so the Schwab bank will not even see that there was a 200 php fee each time that they should be reimbursing for

save your receipt and show them, the reason it doesnt show is a COMPUTER issue ,

that when the money is taken out , it doesnt show that a "fee" was involved. only that 10200p was withdraw

Edited by ed villas

battleborn

I use citibank atm and am charged the 200p fee.  My USAA bank still reimburses my account $15. monthly.

sugbu777

The last time I tried to use my NFCU Visa/Debit card (January 2014) in Cebu for ATM withdrawal, I could not use it. Worked the last three years I have been there, but now not able to. Can still use it for purchases. Cked with NFCU and they said it should be no problem for ATM use and that the card is valid. Same thing with my wife's card. the branches we tried were BDO and BPI. That is why I am now looking for a local bank. Thinking about PNB.

Edited by sugbu777

NOSOCALPINOY

I use citibank atm and am charged the 200p fee.  My USAA bank still reimburses my account $15. monthly.

I only use my USAA credit card to pay for my prescription from Mercury Drug Store so I can use the receipt when filing for my  pharmacy reimbursement claims via my TRICARE Military Health coverage and USAA charges me a 1% fee per transaction!  

I only use my BPI ATM cards to withdraw pesos without any fees as long I use only their BPI ATM machines. I can withdraw a limit of P20,000 each from my USD Savings, Peso checking and Peso Savings ATM cards all on the same day for a total of P60,000 a day!

I only write out my U.S. personal checks for deposit into my BPI USD Savings account without any service fees. Been doing it this way for 16 yrs and haven't paid any service fees! BPI only make money when holding my U.S. personal check for 25 days while waiting for it to clear and post into my USD account! No problem in waiting 25 days for having a "free banking system"!   

BPI doe not charge me monthly maintenance fees as long I keep the required minimum balance in all of my accounts!  

• Like 1

lopburi3
my suggestion, dont withdraw more than you need

A 200 fee on a 2,000 withdrawal is a lot more expensive than on a 20,000 withdrawal so there is a valid reason to take out as much as possible each time you use such an ATM withdrawal.  Perhaps you are thinking about using a no fee local bank account ATM?  Combined with the card foreign transaction fees and the exchange rate loss you do lose a bit every time.  As mentioned a local account seems to make sense for anyone living there for more than holiday.  The fact you can fund with just a check (only a wait time with no fee) seems to be a good deal (in Thailand there are fees).

Edited by lopburi3

SkyMan
ed villas, on 22 Jul 2013 - 10:54 PM, said: SkyMan I don't any fees to get my money from the US and that has nothing to do with my having accounts here.. can you share this advice? this forum has many ppl who want to save that extra centavo .. please.....

HSBC as has been mentioned by others.

Edited by SkyMan