Can't part with your pocketknife...?

ILoveCyrus

Don't get it confiscated at the Airport.

Do you want to travel with your samurai sword..?  Make sure it travels with you.

I am surprised at what you can check it at the Airport:

"

Pack your knife in your checked bag

According to TSA guidelines, the only knives you can carry on are ones with plastic or rounded blades (butter knives).  However, almost any knife can be transported to your destination, if it’s checked.  Want to bring your sushi knife on Christmas vacation?  You can check it.  Just bought a new samurai sword that you don’t want to part with?  Check it and you’re fine.

You can also check meat cleavers, sabers, ice picks, hatchets, axes and saws. What does all this mean?  When in doubt, check your bag.  Just remember, if you’re checking a sword, saber, dagger or other big blade, it needs to be properly sheathed."

http://www.knife-depot.com/blog/how-not-to-get-your-pocket-knife-jacked-by-tsa/

• Like 2
SkyMan

Flew from Cebu to Manila last week.  They took my fork.  A freaking fork.  She said because it was sharp.  I said I have a ball pen in there too and I could probably do more damage with that.

Paul

In January, 2007, I flew from Cebu City to Hong Kong. Through the airport in Cebu, on the plane, and all the way to Hong Kong, all was fine. 

However, when I went to board the plane in Hong Kong, they took my manicure kit. I asked them, "What am I going to do with this, threaten the pilot with a manicure, if he doesn't take me where I want to go?" You should have seen the look on their faces. 

• Like 1
johnboy999

Hong Kong airport security staff sure can be a bit over the top! On one of my previous trips from London to Cebu via HK, I bought a couple of bottles of duty free Scotch whisky at Heathrow to bring as an extra, last-minute gift. The idea was I didn't want to put it in my cabin bag as that was already pretty full, but you're allowed extra carry on items from Duty Free. So, they put it in a clear, see-through carrier bag, as per the requirements and I had the receipt with me. As I passed through security at HK, they confiscated the whisky as the Duty Free shop had failed to "seal" the bag!! It would have been fine if there had been a sticky label, staples, or scotch tape closing the bag but because it was open at the top it was somehow a security threat? It was purchased inside the secure zone at Heathrow, it wasn't two bottles of potentially nasty stuff that I was smuggling in from home! Needless to say I kicked off at the absurdity of it all but then was surrounded by lots of security staff and the threats of missing my connecting flight to Cebu meant I had to drop it. Sometimes it's best to know what fights to pick and what fights to walk away from. After all, I had people, including my girlfriend, meeting me at the airport in Cebu who had travelled a long way to meet me.

Dragonladies.org

What am I going to do with this, threaten the pilot with a manicure, if he doesn't take me where I want to go?"

Did they make you put your nail polish in a ziplock bag, Paul?

:)

I'm used to having pocket knife, if not on me, ....somewhere...an no, not a Bowie knife or machete.

If I'm flying I have a swiss army knife clone that is pretty good  (for $5) and  stick it in  the pocket of a checked bag.  If somebody steals it, I can live with it.  If they don't I still have something that will open beer bottles, cans, and almost cut stuff.

I bought some good quality cleavers in China to bring home as gifts.   ($5 in the sticks of china, would pay $60-80 for same quality in US)    I thought I had put them in the bag I was checking....but the security screeners told me otherwise when they exrayed my carryon.

Talk about a few nervous minutes...if it was in the US I'd probably still be trying to explain myself.  They told me to put them in my checked bag, and looked at me like I was stupid.

(I was)

Paul

Did they make you put your nail polish in a ziplock bag, Paul?

No. I put it in the bag with the panties and bra that you wanted for your Friday night gig. :P

I'm just glad I don't have to fly again, until I go back to the Philippines. I can travel through several countries, easily, without ever having to board a plane. 

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1
hyaku

I've spent most of my life trying to take Japanese swords to teach seminars in other countries. One is over 180 Cms long. I gave up some time ago and take unsharpened training swords. Canadian customs once stopped me saying I should have declared wooden swords as weapons. Dutch customs grabbed me and I was only in transit!

hyaku

But a student/friend took 4 sundang back ok and they took his caballero seeds. It really is difficult since 9/11. Even I have difficulty in traveling, let alone the weapons.

Alan S

They dont allow you to travel with a knife, but fly first class and they give you decent metal knives and forks with your meals (on many airlines).

• Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

They dont allow you to travel with a knife, but fly first class and they give you decent metal knives and forks with your meals (on many airlines).

terrorists generally can't afford to fly first class

Dragonladies.org

Most of the 9/11 hijackers were in first class.

http://www.911myths.com/index.php/9/11_flight_passenger_numbers

Hell, put the 1st class seat on a credit card, it's not like you're going to have to pay for it, and why not enjoy the free booze while you can?

Paul, those aren't my underthings, I dumped the bras year ago, and I switched to thongs, since they are easier to pack.

• Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

Most of the 9/11 hijackers were in first class.

well i said generally

Headshot

well i said generally

As far as I know, not a single airline hijacker has been a general.

• Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

As far as I know, not a single airline hijacker has been a general.

yeah .. they could probably afford better seats if they were i guess