The Urban Cellar - pub in Talamban, Cebu

easy44

Nice place with good food, cold beer and a friendly mix of clientelle.  Lars has made a number of improvements since he took over and if you haven't been there for a while, it's better than ever.  Food menu is greatly improved and the quality is very good.

• Like 1
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Panserhansen

• jigsy

• udonthani

• thebob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all. Been in the Philippines almost 5 years now, half of the time of the province in Toledo, half of the time in Cebu City. I used to have a blog, ycebu.com, but it hasn't been updated lately. Life

Put the coffee up another Php 10. You definitely won't have to worry about whippy returning.  

Lars everything you take on with passion and heart. I know the place is much more then you describe. I wish you all the luck.

Panserhansen

Good luck with your new venture. I will definitely drop by. Any "Gunners" fans hanging out there?  

Hi Bargeman, thanks. There are some Gunners-fans here. I made a bet with one of them, Liverpool finish below Arsenal this season he can drink as much local beer he wants in one night. Arsenal below Liverpool, he will work for free in the kitchen doing the dishes.

Lars do you know if you can receive a station that will broadcast the Australia-England cricket.

Brisbane, November 21-25, 2013: First Test

Adelaide, December 5-9: Second Test

Perth, December 13-17: Third Test

Melbourne, December 26-30: Fourth Test

Sydney, January 3-7, 2014: Fifth Test

I never have much luck with the cricket in the Philippines. None, or very few, of the hotels I ever stay at ever seem to have it on the cable tv. In Thailand and Malaysia it was much easier. I think because there are more Indians there.

Hi Udonthani, I believe we can show these games here unless it collides with a Premier League event. Not sure which provider though but I will check it out. Please contact me before you arrive.

Thanks for all kind words, hope to see you guys here some day.

Tonight's special is roast pork and roast beef ready from 6PM, served with roast potatoes. For bigger groups, it might be wise to reserve (we're not a big restaurant). Check the signature for phone number.

Tomorrow (Saturday) we show Australia vs Man Utd 5:30 PM, and Indonesia vs Liverpool 9:30 PM. Hamburger SV vs Bayern Münich 12:30AM(no sounds). Sunday Malaysia vs Chelsea 9:45 PM. The TV schedule will be posted on FB every week, and we will have a new website hopefully by the end of next week.

Thanks all!

Cricket from Aus, would be from around 8/9:00am to 4/5:00pm here, so would not affect any Premier League games.

Whippy is right though - not seen a jot about cricket coverage here - I have to follow on my phone.

Probably need a big satellite out back for the cricket, or stream it?

• Like 1

Hi Lars, great to hear about your renovations ,,I have dropped in twice since my original visit, but missed you both times .. will make the effort again next time in the city.I also miss your blog, but realize your priorities now.. catch up soon mate, cheers

• Like 1

I really like the Urban Cellar.  Lars and crew are doing a great job!  Always interesting conversation happening with a very multicultural clientele.  Food is great and Lars is very good about trying to accommodate customer requests.  Keep up the good work!

Alfred E. Neuman

post your menu please

I am a regular customer of Rose Pharmacy, Fresco Bakery, Tiktilaok, and the pirated dvd store. But i never set foot in that pub since I am a former alcoholic. Too scared...

Edited by Alfred E. Neuman
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Panserhansen

OK, this week's football matches, all preseason. The Premier League starts August 17.

Today(Wed July 31): 12:15AM (just after midnight), Manchester City vs AC Milan

Thursday Aug 1; Everton vs Juventus 11 AM. Man City/AC Milan vs Bayern Münich/Sao Paulo depending on tonight's outcome, 12:15 AM

Friday Aug 2; Real Madrid vs LA Galaxy 10:30 AM. Chelsea vs Inter Milan can be on from 8AM if any requests, otherwise we open 10 AM as usual.

Saturday Aug 3; Liverpool vs Olympiakos 7:45 PM. Arsenal vs Napoli 10:20 PM.

Sunday Aug 4; Arsenal vs Galatasaray 10:20 PM.

If any Korean or Japanese are interested, we can get their domestic league matches live as well. Contact us.

If there is any interest, we can open 8AM for the NFL preseason and show the games live. We serve all day English breakfast.

We are also open for other sport events, just enquire at the pub. Premier League will always have the TV's reserved though.

Edited by Panserhansen
  • Like 1

Premier League will always have the TV's reserved though.

My kind of pub!

• 2 months later...
Panserhansen

Live sports this weekend:

Saturday Oct 19:

All Blacks vs Wallabies 02:25PM

Blackpool vs Wigan 7:15PM

Newcastle vs Liverpool 7:45PM

Chelsea vs Cardiff 10PM

Arsenal vs Norwich 10PM

Valencia vs Real Sociedad 12AM

West Ham vs Man City 12:30AM.

We will also make an effort showing Man Utd vs Southampton 10PM but no promise.

Sunday Oct 20:

Granada vs Getafe 6PM

Leeds vs Birmingham 8:15PM

Aston Villa vs Tottenham 11PM

Almeria vs Rayo Vallecano 11PM.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
RogerDat

Hi all. Been in the Philippines almost 5 years now, half of the time of the province in Toledo, half of the time in Cebu City. I used to have a blog, ycebu.com, but it hasn't been updated lately. Life in Toledo was fine, but we got bored of the province and now live in Talamban, Cebu with my wife and three kids.

The Urban Cellar has been open for a few years, originally started by two Brits, Simon and Geoff. Another Geoff took over, but sold out in January and The Urban Cellar is now under Norwegian/Filipina management.

We decided to do some refurbishing. Threw out some large wine shelves and added a couple of tables. The "chapel" - a function room in the back, is now converted to a nice CR and kitchen (yes, separated!).

UrbanCellaroutside_zps012f5857.jpg

Although the management is no longer British, we aim to keep it in the same spirit. 5 different meat pies are on the menu. we sell pork pie for take out, fish&chips(beer battered fish, hand cut fries), and all day English breakfast. We have a good selection of sandwiches, and our hamburgers are popular. Fridays we usually do slow cooked roast pork or roast beef from 6PM, served with roast potatoes and veggies. Our bread and buns are from Eurobread, European style. We are not a 5 star restaurant, but serve hearty portions, and are pretty low priced.

We have quite a selection of imported beers. SMB and SML is ice cold and 50 peso, happy hour before 6PM 42 for SMB and 45 for SML.

Music is usually from the 60's, 70's and 80's - depending on the crowd. Inside you can also request your own music. Sometimes late night we play a little louder but never too loud so people cannot communicate.

We aim to be a friendly pub where everyone should feel welcome. This is a place you can come alone, have a seat at the long table and talk to the regulars - maybe you become one yourself! Clientele is a mix of expats of many nationalities and locals.

We have two, soon three TV's, and will show lots of Premier League matches live when the season starts, and we also show the biggest team's preseason matches. Football/soccer is my passion, but other sport events on requests. Like us on Facebook and you get updates. The biggest games are always on.

UrbanCellarmap_zps11d8ec0e.png

Getting here; about 100 peso taxi ride from Ayala. Easiest way is to say Rose Pharmacy opposite Silver Hills subdivision. If the driver doesn't know, find another one.

We are open from 10AM to 2AM every day, welcome to drop by! Unfortunately we don't accept credit cards at the moment. Daytime it's a little quiet here, after dark it gets more crowded.

Cheers/skaal/mabuhay from Urban Cellar!

tell me about English breakfast, last I had it was in Ubon Thailand, 1973 I think. English butter and marmalade in tins on thai bread tosted is all I remember. And tomatos for sure.

Panserhansen

tell me about English breakfast, last I had it was in Ubon Thailand, 1973 I think. English butter and marmalade in tins on thai bread tosted is all I remember. And tomatos for sure.

English pork sausages, smoked bacon, beans, two eggs, coffee or tea, 2xtoast, marmelade. EDIT; Oh, and fried tomatoes...!

BTW, tonight's games:

8:15PM Watford vs Leicester

8:45PM Newcastle vs Chelsea

11 PM Fulham vs Man utd

1:30AM Arsenal vs Liverpool

It will be very crowdy from 10:30 onwards...

Edited by Panserhansen
udonthani

popped in for a coffee about 11.30am on my way from Fuente to Compostela, decided to try that route, for a change. 3 in 1 is all that is available not that there is anything unusual about that, plenty of foreigner places do not bother with brewed coffee. I wondered how much they were going to charge (3 in 1s can be as low as 5 pesos in some places). I thought that 20 would be too low and that it would likely be 30. But no, it was 40. I am sure 3 in 1s can be even more expensive than even that, elsewhere.

Panserhansen

popped in for a coffee about 11.30am on my way from Fuente to Compostela, decided to try that route, for a change. 3 in 1 is all that is available not that there is anything unusual about that, plenty of foreigner places do not bother with brewed coffee. I wondered how much they were going to charge (3 in 1s can be as low as 5 pesos in some places). I thought that 20 would be too low and that it would likely be 30. But no, it was 40. I am sure 3 in 1s can be even more expensive than even that, elsewhere.

That's Nescafe Gold, not 3 in one you got... :)