Sign in to follow this  
Salty Dog

Newbee to Cebu First Time to BI

Salty Dog

I lived in Dumaguete for three years and was able to go to the local BI Office with shorts and slippers. It was usually a painless experience and took from 20-40 minutes from arrival to departure with my new 2 month extension in my Passport. However as they had to send many things to Manila for completion or approval, at times it was a long waiting experience. Especially when I was applying for my extension to 20, 22, and 24 months, needed an ECC or to renew my ACR-I Card. Point in fact, I renewed my ACR-I Card on May 17th and as of July 15th, it still had not arrived back in Dumaguete. They said hopefully in August. Since I had to extend my Visa by the 21st of July, I was wondering how much of a pain it would be in Cebu getting my extension without a current ACR-I Card. Dumaguete told me no problem, just show them your receipt. Also I had read in the Forum that they never ask to see it in Cebu.

So yesterday wearing my once in a year long slacks and receipts of every BI transaction since 2010, I jumped into a taxi at 8:25 (bad start, I had over slept). Much to my surprise we arrived at the BI by 8:45. Not bad for 6.5 km trip during rush hour. I walked in the door and the place was full, at least 30-40 people. The guy wasn't at the check-in desk so there was a short line waiting for him. He returned a few minutes later. He looked at my application, passport and copies of my passport which I had already completed on my computer. He didn't ask to see my I-Card so no problem there. He stamped my application, wrote the number 12 on it and told me to take my application to window 1. About 10-15 minutes later they called my name and sent me to the cashier. She took my payment and told me to wait. After about another 20 minutes they called me to releasing. It was 9:40 and I was out the door, in a taxi and back home again by 10:00.

I was very happy with the speed and efficiency in which they seemed to be working. Not sure why there were so many people there when I was just number 12, but everyone it seemed had at least another person accompanying them. I got a kick out of watching a young American guy being walked through the process by a Filipino who he had obviously hired to help him. The only difference I saw was the Filipino handed the paperwork in while the American stood beside him. As for the requirement for long slacks and shoes. There were some really dirty grossly dressed people there who looked much worse than I could ever look in my neat shorts and Reeboks. One old European guy had a button type shirt on, but it was completely unbuttoned except for the very bottom button. He would have turned eyes anywhere.

I had read on a post that parking was no problem across the street, but it was a zoo there and all I saw was a big lot full of jeepneys. I think the P120 each way for a taxi was worth not messing with trying to find parking.

• Like 2

udonthani

Not sure why there were so many people there when I was just number 12, but everyone it seemed had at least another person accompanying them.

I see you have noticed that an unusually large number of Siamese Twins seem to inhabit the area of metro Cebu. It seems a lot of guys round there cannot go to the toilet, without bringing their mountain girl along with them.

the Mandaue office is not so bad at all and your processing time of about an hour is about average. I have been asked for a parking fee when I parked my 125 across the street but it wasd obviously just some joker trying it on so I just laughed it off and didn't give them anything.

even if they do not enforce a dress code, that doesn't matter. You should still wear slacks and shoes when you attend any formal setting in the Philippines. Maybe they don't care about it, or make excuses for you as a foreigner if you dress slackly, but so what. You. yourself, should care, regardless.

• Like 2

samatm

nice report:   Parking if not in front is usually available  just up the street on the left hand side.   You might have to walk a min , but I have never had a problem parking there.     I have to go tomorrow.   

roadhaze

There were some really dirty grossly dressed people there who looked much worse than I could ever look in my neat shorts and Reeboks. One old European guy had a button type shirt on, but it was completely unbuttoned except for the very bottom button. He would have turned eyes anywhere

I was there at the same time. I'm not the guy with the shirt but I did notice him. I also got there later than I like but it went pretty fast. I like getting there when they open.

Salty Dog

What time does the office in Cebu open?

Scottiev

I walked by the BI in giasano island mall Mactan Friday about 2pm....there was only the people that worked there..nobody in line at all..guess where I'm going to get my extension lol

Edited by Scottiev

Monsoon

. You. yourself, should care, regardless.

Care about what? I have to agree with the OP, I have seen some scruffy dirty people dressed in 'appropriate wear' to the letter of the rules at BI, but they were an embarrassment to their race.  Better to have a shower, comb your hair and wear some shorts, shoes and shirt that were made in the current decade I say. 

Edited by Monsoon

mactanfamily

I had my wife pick up an extra form to bring home. I made copies and used to fill it out, sign it and let her take it over there and do it for me.

ancienrocka

What time does the office in Cebu open?

8am with a cut off at 11.30am

Lunch 12 to 1pm

Then another cut off at 4.30pm before they close at 5pm.

• Like 1

Salty Dog

I have the form on my computer along with scans well actually photos taken with cell phone of all my documents they require. I just change the dates on the allready filled out form and I'm done. I print all my documents on a single sheet. I always bring with me all past receipts since my last arrival in the Philippines.

Kodiak570

I walked by the BI in giasano island mall Mactan Friday about 2pm....there was only the people that worked there..nobody in line at all..guess where I'm going to get my extension lol

Shhhhh Secret.....hahaha. I was in and out this month in 40 minutes. That was with 2 Koreans and a Japanese couple with their translator ahead of me.

Edit: clarification

Edited by Kodiak570

SkyMan
Salty Dog, on 18 Jul 2013 - 10:46 AM, said: Not sure why there were so many people there when I was just number 12, but everyone it seemed had at least another person accompanying them.

Lots of people like to hang out at the BoI and bring friends because they know it pisses whippy off.

udonthani, on 18 Jul 2013 - 11:01 AM, said: even if they do not enforce a dress code, that doesn't matter. You should still wear slacks and shoes when you attend any formal setting in the Philippines. Maybe they don't care about it, or make excuses for you as a foreigner if you dress slackly, but so what.

There is a new dress code and shorts and TShirts are ok now.  Formal setting?  Posh.

Shhhhh Secret.....hahaha. I was in and out this month in 40 minutes. That was with 2 Koreans and a Japanese couple with their translator ahead of me.
Don't worry about your secret.  I'd spend an extra couple hours in the Mandaue BI to avoid driving through Lapux2 Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1

smokey

I lived in Dumaguete for three years and was able to go to the local BI Office with shorts and slippers. It was usually a painless experience and took from 20-40 minutes from arrival to departure with my new 2 month extension in my Passport. However as they had to send many things to Manila for completion or approval, at times it was a long waiting experience. Especially when I was applying for my extension to 20, 22, and 24 months, needed an ECC or to renew my ACR-I Card. Point in fact, I renewed my ACR-I Card on May 17th and as of July 15th, it still had not arrived back in Dumaguete. They said hopefully in August. Since I had to extend my Visa by the 21st of July, I was wondering how much of a pain it would be in Cebu getting my extension without a current ACR-I Card. Dumaguete told me no problem, just show them your receipt. Also I had read in the Forum that they never ask to see it in Cebu.

So yesterday wearing my once in a year long slacks and receipts of every BI transaction since 2010, I jumped into a taxi at 8:25 (bad start, I had over slept). Much to my surprise we arrived at the BI by 8:45. Not bad for 6.5 km trip during rush hour. I walked in the door and the place was full, at least 30-40 people. The guy wasn't at the check-in desk so there was a short line waiting for him. He returned a few minutes later. He looked at my application, passport and copies of my passport which I had already completed on my computer. He didn't ask to see my I-Card so no problem there. He stamped my application, wrote the number 12 on it and told me to take my application to window 1. About 10-15 minutes later they called my name and sent me to the cashier. She took my payment and told me to wait. After about another 20 minutes they called me to releasing. It was 9:40 and I was out the door, in a taxi and back home again by 10:00.

I was very happy with the speed and efficiency in which they seemed to be working. Not sure why there were so many people there when I was just number 12, but everyone it seemed had at least another person accompanying them. I got a kick out of watching a young American guy being walked through the process by a Filipino who he had obviously hired to help him. The only difference I saw was the Filipino handed the paperwork in while the American stood beside him. As for the requirement for long slacks and shoes. There were some really dirty grossly dressed people there who looked much worse than I could ever look in my neat shorts and Reeboks. One old European guy had a button type shirt on, but it was completely unbuttoned except for the very bottom button. He would have turned eyes anywhere.

I had read on a post that parking was no problem across the street, but it was a zoo there and all I saw was a big lot full of jeepneys. I think the P120 each way for a taxi was worth not messing with trying to find parking.

in the old days i used to go to sm and park and take a taxi much easier ... i have not been in there for a long time except to go with tim and i forgot and wore shorts 

smokey

Care about what? I have to agree with the OP, I have seen some scruffy dirty people dressed in 'appropriate wear' to the letter of the rules at BI, but they were an embarrassment to their race.  Better to have a shower, comb your hair and wear some shorts, shoes and shirt that were made in the current decade I say. 

they used to give away years ago these frigging lime green fanny packs i think it was if you buy a case of coke or some other soft drink and i saw a guy wearing one with a powder blue shirt  darker on the back and underarms then the rest and black dress pants with white tennis shoes but dirty , but he had a gF with him sporting camel toe .. must of be fashion love 

Salty Dog

Thanks for the info and times. I am at my 12 months again. Can't remember if there is some additional fees over the normal every 2 months fee. Still haven't received my I-Card that I renewed in May at Dumaguete. It still wasn't there in October.