Sign in to follow this  
no one

wireless router problem

philuk

Or, at risk of sounding like a smart ass here, just buy another router. They are pretty reasonably priced these days.

didn't work, " you did "

I had the same problem, wifi was fine in the daytime but non existent at night, it turned out to be the baby monitor upstairs, changing the channel fixed the problem

• Like 1

SirMadrigal

is your laptop a Samsung by any chance? Notoriously Bad Wireless cards inside them

HeyMike

The problem for me, when I lose the internet, is because of the outside line coming into the modem. Because of the long distance to the box on the pole, Globe had to splice the wiring to reach my house. (It was originally one line, but large trucks and buses have, in the past, run into the wire, breaking it).  When anything interferes with the splice (rain, birds, bugs, etc.), out goes the internet. I have asked the lineman to use silicon on the spice, but as of now, it is still just electrical taped.  

David_LivinginTalisay

Downloading and installing a F/W update fixed the Tenda W311R Router that stopped working (I suspected a Power Cut had messed up setting IP Address assignment.   As a wired LAN Router it still worked.  it was the IP Address side of the WLAN that was not working.

Check out http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/55639-living-working-in-china/page-10#entry651620

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:56 PM                                               

Tenda W311R Router - problem with WiFi resolved - new Firmware Update fixed the problem.

I came to the conclusion that the power cut-off (from the guy with mthe electric drill), might have caused the WiFi Connect (but no Internet Connectivity due to IP Address assignment problem).

Whilst I do know how to work my way through the Configuaration Menu of Linksys/Cisco WRT54G Router, many Routers are very similar - once you navigate the HTML Set-up Menu via your Web Browser.

Trouble is this particular Tenda W311R Router has Chinese Firmware, so the Configuration/Status/Tools Menu is all in Chinese.

Whilst Copy/Past into Google Translate, enables me to cope with the Menu Structure and Content, it would be easier in English.

For this reason, I normally resort to using a Tenda W311R Setup WIZARD.

Since this WIZARD never failed to configure SSID, Security Type, Security KEY, Channel # etc and one had working WiFi, this time - same result Connection, but NO Internet!

Running Diagnostics suggests the problem is with IP Address not being assigned properly during Setup of the WiFi.

I decided to contact Tenda.cn Support to confirm if this Firmware is indeed compatible/suitable for use on this Chinese Tenda W311R Router.

I tried their Customer Support via Skype, but as Saturday, probably not manned, so I sent an e-mail hoping for a reply early next week.   It was sooner than that. as I got a Skype Call from someone @ Tenda Shenzhen.

The Tenda Support representative, asked if I had QQ

I received a call on my QQ  who was a 23 year old female 'Yolanda' at Tenda, Shenzhen.who was about to go off-shift for the weekend.  She asked if I would allow RA (Remote Assist), to check the Tenda W311R Configuaration via my PC and the QQ link.  

It was interesting watching her navigate the Chinese HTML Menu of the Tenda W311R WiFi Router.  

It was much like I had done myself, but only slicker, and quicker!

She came to the same conclusion that I had - perhaps the firmware has been corrupted (from that power outage).

She downloaded a different Firmware binary file from the one I had downloaded and asked me to accept it and place on the desktop.  She then went to the Menu to install that Binary Firmware update file.

F/W updated 18th May

H1_V3.3.5y_CN, Release date: Feb 12 2010

After it finished installing, I powered off the Router, waited at least 10 seconds and reconnected the power.

I ran the Setup Wizard with same settings (SSID, Protection type/ KEY) as before (except had not hidden the SSID, yet)

I now had an established Wi Fi from my Mobile Phone so the upgrade had worked.

This Tenda Rep, ('Yolanda' on QQ,) was late logging off from her shift, but was still connecting with me on QQ (seems she had finally left the office after the Firmware had downloaded, and was continuing to check and verify, using her mobile phone on her way home).

She was glad the firmware upgrade had fixed the problem.

I asked if she could confirm if the U311R_H1_V3.3.6d_EN.bin I had downloaded, was compatible and suitable.

'Yolanda' confirmed it would indeed work, and would give me the Menu in English, but asked WHY, if it is working?

I took the hint, that all Tenda Routers sold for the Domestic China Market have China Firmware, and all the local support representatives are familiar with that Menu Structure. She hinted that whilst it may make it easier for myself, who is knowledgable with the Menu in English, what about future Teachers that may have a problem?
Perhaps Tenda China could not offer as good a level of support if I changed it to English Firmware!

Point taken - why FIX it, if it already repaired, and no longer broken!

At no point did Tenda Customer Support ask for Registration, Date of Purchase or anything.  Service offered Free of Charge, no questions asked!

Her level of competency and English capability was exemplary, not to say the dedication, in continuing to check and assist, on her journey home,
and after, once she was home.

This is better than the Support I got from Linksys/Cisco for my WRT54G that was many years old!

I went with DDWRT then Tomato Firmware, as an alternative, since it is no longer a supported product, from Linksys.
Edited by David_LivinginTalisay

philuk

FFS david pls dont take this persomally but im getting too old for most of yor posts

i will wait till the film comes out..

• Like 4

no one

i changed the channel to 10 

so lets see if its going to help 

so far no problem 

but the dam think can work for days and then just go off every 2 min 

David_LivinginTalisay

Tip:  If you have an  Android Smart Phone with WiFi, look for WiFi Overview 360 Pro App on PlayStore

or elsewhere

This App shows a Frequency Map or 'Channel Radar' of all the other Wi Fi Devices in the Vicinity and their Signal Strengths, and suggests what is the BEST Channel to select for your WiFi.

post-198-0-36199700-1374156695_thumb.jpg

It can also log on and see if an IP Address is assigned and there is Internet Connectivity

WiFi Overview 360 Pro v1.52.1 Apk App

Posted by Abdul Sattar

WiFi+Overview+360+Pro+v1.52.1.jpg

WiFi Overview 360 Pro v1.52.1

Requirements: Android 2.1+
Overview:
With this tool you can manage and optimize your used wireless network and with one look you'll get detailed information of the WLANs (WLAN name (SSID), signal strength, channelnumber, encryptionin - open or not and much more) in your environment.

The universal WiFi tool

WiFi Overview 360 Pro - The universal WiFi tool, incl. Widgets

Now with a powerful "WiFi Sniffer", who expanded the Android function enormously. "WiFi Sniffer" looking for open WLANs, gives a notification (sound, pop-up text window, vibrate and text-to-speech - if you want) and can connect automatically.

With this tool you can manage and optimize your used wireless network and with one look you'll get detailed information of the WLANs (WLAN name (SSID), signal strength, channelnumber, encryptionin - open or not and much more) in your environment.

The tab "Ch check" (channel checker) and "Ch. radar" (channel radar) are powerful tool to optimize your own wlan network. For best performance your network must use a channel or frequency range where are no other wireless networks or little as possible. WiFi Overview 360 gives you the best choice for the channel.

Main features are:
 - NEW: WiFi Sniffer - the powerful open network finder
 - "Quick connect shortcut", you can set a shortcut to switch/connect quick and easy between/to wlans
 - WLAN scanner
 - NEW: you can change WLAN priority manually
 - WLAN sorting options for "strength", "alphabetically" and NEW "open/known WLANs"
 - NEW: automatic WiFi activation at startup - if off, and automatic turn-off at the end
 - manual way to add a network
 - NEW: endless list of known WLANs
 - detailed wlan information

- graphical representation of all wireless networks in the operating range
 - channel checker for the best channel choice
 - included 1x1, 2x1 and 4x1 widgets with 3 different styles
 - Android 4.x support
 - Tablet support
 - WLAN Internet connection check
 - and much more ...

post-198-0-21730700-1374157358_thumb.png

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay

Woolf

David!  if you had checked my link in post 7 you would have seen that you can get inSSIDer versions for androide iphone and pc

I think it does the same as the program you found

no one

changed to channel 10 that day and so far no internet problems 

hope that was it than 

thank you all for your help now i can get rid of the stupid cable 

USMC-Retired

That is good to hear