Sign in to follow this  
Wolfpack

ShopWise/Mooon Cafe 17 July 2013

Wolfpack

This is my second visit to ShopWise...we took a bus to ShopWise from San Fernando...less than 100 pesos...

Walked around the store...grabbed one of their flyers...and sat down at Moon Cafe for lunch...

I tried the beef tips with mashed potatoes...my wife tried some sort of salad...and we both enjoyed their blue lemonade...total cost...under 500 pesos...

We then head into ShopWise...grabbing some of their bake shop products first...they had a buy one take one on French Baguette...we grabbed several of those...they had cinnamon rolls for 65 pesos, grabbed a couple of those...then some pandesal and hot dog rolls...

Then to the meats....they had a special on pork steak something to the effect of like 250 a kilo then you get half a kilo free...pork tenderloin looked fresh, grabbed a kilo of that...then a bunch of chicken wings and breasts....

The fish looked inviting...my wife passed...not sure why...some things I just do not question...

They had kiwi's on sale...so we got some of those...however, when reviewing the bill when we got home...they did not give us the sale price...either we bought the wrong ones...or they screwed us...

They are selling a good brand of Pasta Sauce...can't think of the name off hand...but I chose a organic brand at about half the price...

They are selling blocks of imported Mozzarella Cheese at about 1300 pesos a block...this is a high quality cheese that would be perfect for making colonial style pizza...if I could find me a pizza brick...I would be buying the stuff for sure...

They are well prepared for International Beer Day on August 2nd...Budweiser Beer with April 2013 born on date is available at 289 for a 6 pack...80 pesos higher than S & R...

The FIND of the day was dark cherries...over 1000 pesos per kilo...I got about a 1/4 kilo...

Sunnyside Farms Ice Cream Sundae Cones were on sale...30 percent off...227 pesos a box...4 boxes left...I took 2...

Total bill today was under 3000 pesos...

To get home to San Fernando we took a taxi...the driver wanted double the meter to go to San Fernando...I eventually would pay him 700 pesos (less than double the meter)...a price I sometimes pay to get home from S & R when I have ice cream...

• Like 1

smokey

why dont you use one of them space age cooler bags i have used them a lot in arizona and stuff stays cold a few hours

Wolfpack

why dont you use one of them space age cooler bags i have used them a lot in arizona and stuff stays cold a few hours

I do always bring 2 coolers with me for food shopping....but still take a taki home from distances like S and R or ShopWise...

samatm

where is Foodwise ?

Wonderful are you shopping for your own personal transport?    I couldn't imagine living  in Cebu relying on Taxis and PUJs all the time?

Wolfpack

where is Foodwise ?

Wonderful are you shopping for your own personal transport?    I couldn't imagine living  in Cebu relying on Taxis and PUJs all the time?

no, I have owned my own car here before...and ended up turning IT into a taxi because I didn't care for driving here...then sold the taxi because I didn't care to be involved in business here...

I have also had an ATV and 2 multicabs...sold those as well...

I rely 100 percent on public transportation...no more driving here for me...

• Like 3

Paul

where is Foodwise ?

It's Shopwise, and is located in Mambaling, across the street from McDo Rubber World. That will be the last McDonald's, located on the right side of the road, going south out of Cebu City. 

Edited by Paul

Beserker101

where is Foodwise ?

lol, its Fooda Savemart & Rustan's Shopwise, about 50 meters apart ... soon to be Metro directly across Bacalso

... you need shop & deliver ?, .. call 1-800- Beserker (you needem' we feedem') -

• Like 2

Paul

And if you don't want his delivery service, just ask Beserker to dial 1-800-eat-sh*t. :D :D

Seriously, they built two shops in that same area, Fooda AND Shopwise?

samatm

And if you don't want his delivery service, just ask Beserker to dial 1-800-eat-sh*t. :D :D

Now wonder its  "Foodwise"

Beserker101

Now wonder its  "Foodwise"

goodness gracious ! (peste' oi), knowing where to shop is 10% of the equation, .. knowing when to shop is the key ...

example > if you want fish less than 4 days olde', you need to be at the dock 3:00am (and there's still no guarantee)

• Like 1

thebob

goodness gracious ! (peste' oi), knowing where to shop is 10% of the equation, .. knowing when to shop is the key ...

example > if you want fish less than 4 days olde', you need to be at the dock 3:00am (and there's still no guarantee)

Ha! The fisherman paddles right up to my window. I'm wondering if Mr Wonderful eats any of the local faire. He is our US food expert, and Woolf is the main man with the map.

Wolfpack

Ha! The fisherman paddles right up to my window. I'm wondering if Mr Wonderful eats any of the local faire. He is our US food expert, and Woolf is the main man with the map.

my wife is the "local" food expert...I thought the fish looked inviting...she saw something that caused her to pass on the fish...

my wife did buy a lot of pork there...she said it was fresh...

and she has the patience to select chicken wings, wing by wing...she says they mix old stock with fresh stock...(and she says only S & R does NOT do that)

Wolfpack

this ain't NO joke...no doubt, if shopwise becomes a regular stop for us...it would be based on information YOU provide...

and I just might make THAT call for delivery!!!

USMC-Retired

Of the grocery stores Shopwise has the best fish and meat. Pardo market which is on the way has very nice fresh fish it arrives around 11am,

Wolfpack

Of the grocery stores Shopwise has the best fish and meat. Pardo market which is on the way has very nice fresh fish it arrives around 11am,

I would rank ShopWise 2nd...behind only S & R when it comes to meat...but really, Robinson, SM and Ayala are just fine with meats but both the them play the mix and match game with chicken...

Fish really is...a case by case basis...I have had best luck at a place just outside SM Mall...they have "Live" fish there...including "Live" lobster...not something I do every month...but for birthday's or special occasions...that is my person preference...

I prefer the Butterball Turkey Breast offered at ShopWise over the Turkey Breast that is offered at S & R...a little more costly...but a better piece of meat...

and nothing compares to S & R when it comes to USDA beef options...Angus Burger options...and Johnsonville Sausage options...

ShopWise does not replace S & R on the shopping list...but does make a nice second option...this is my second month of using them in place of Robinson's...for a fresh meat run...

David Kennedy

where is Foodwise ?

You hear of people in NYC never owning a car. Most of the time in Cebu there's no where to park!

• Like 1

Rocketman

You hear of people in NYC never owning a car. Most of the time in Cebu there's no where to park!

I LOVE not driving in Cebu!  Only occasionally do I have to wait for a taxi and when I do, it's usually because the traffic is bad - and that's particularly the time I would not want to drive.  In bad traffic, I just read or play a game on my phone to help me ignore the traffic.  Being a single guy, I know it's easier than if I had a family, but still, I think I'd use a taxi if I had a family.

• Like 1

samatm

Seriously I guess it  depends where you live and if you have a family and or extended family.  Living on the backside of Mactan, I couldn't make  it without my own wheels as there simply are not enough taxis or public transp in this neck of the woods.      It rains a lot in Cebu and when it rains,  taxi's all of a sudden become in  short  supply.   I still have ugly memories of  long taxi  q's at Ayala and SM  with several baskets  of groceries.  So glad those days are over.

• Like 2

smokey

[/quote

well if i dont drive my own car i get a huge headache from the jeep fumes..

Wolfpack

I LOVE not driving in Cebu!  Only occasionally do I have to wait for a taxi and when I do, it's usually because the traffic is bad - and that's particularly the time I would not want to drive.  In bad traffic, I just read or play a game on my phone to help me ignore the traffic.  Being a single guy, I know it's easier than if I had a family, but still, I think I'd use a taxi if I had a family.

during the holiday season (December)...is the worse time of year for a taxi...especially, Saturday Nights...

other than that...it is the rain that is the biggest issue...especially when taking a multicab from San Fernando to Ken Taxi in Talisay...

but both of those situations, are not something I would ever want to be driving in either...

Beserker101

... did another Shopwise recon today because I forgot to get rice yesterday, we live 5 minutes from the warehouse so no biggie .

The weekly promos can be found at their website > http://www.shopwise.com.ph/

... the bad news is that apparently there has been a run on Ben & Jerry's (p315), more than likely some expat hoarders cleaned out

the freezer except for a half dozen pints of  "Peanut Butter Pagtatae" .

... for those not familiar w/ the Rustan's Shopwise Mini-Mall in Mambaling ,

#1- They're open 8am to 10pm, 7 days per week .. that includes Rose's Pharmacy ,

#2- Superior liquor, wine, & beer selection w/ stocked refridgerators,

#3- Pay bills, buy airline/ ferry tickets, LBC, atms, free wifi & cable tv

#4- Underground parking w/ walkalator, > cart to car

#5- Electronics, appliances, clothes, hardware, furniture, toys, bakery, Mongolian buffet, lechon, babes everywhere

** the meat, fish, & produce are no better or worse than anywhere else, average for Cebu -

• Like 2

USMC-Retired

It is not just expats but returning Filipinos. Shopwise had BAR-S corn dogs. I grabbed two boxes of 16 circled around and the case was now empty. Later I saw why a Filipino had the other 20 or so boxes checking out at the counter. So everyone knows if something good arrives it is gone so stock up.

I had to go to SM to pick up passport and they had prepackaged Hamburger patties. 400gram 190 pesos. This on the package advertised 100% corn fed beef from US. Skeptical I bought one package. However very impressed the beef smelled awesome while cooking and tasted just as good.

As for meat and fish being no better at shopwise. Maybe but I know its better then Robinson Talisay and Gisano Tabunok. There is zero doubt to that. Veggie section leaves a little to be desired but Pardo market is clean and close.

Edited by USMC-Retired