Smart V Globe internet dongles.

senseless

How many of you guys would be willing to pay 50$ a KM to run fiber to your houses from a nearby substation?

When answering, please specify the distance you are from the closest thing that could be considered confused with civilization (carcar, argao, cebu city, etc)

Edited by senseless
USMC-Retired

Since there is a subststion box about 750m I would and many in this subdivision would. Funny we have both Globe and PLDT dsl here and we even have fiber to the box I watched them install it.

iconpools

Um, what planet are you on? Sun can't compete with PLDT and Globe. Personally, I had good service from the Globe dongle.

Well, the op is talking about dongles... I was not aware PLDT offered Dongles.. For me Sun has always been vastly superior to Globe..Globe always has an intermittent connection..

To answer your question..  Earth,, You?

Paul

Well, the op is talking about dongles... I was not aware PLDT offered Dongles.. For me Sun has always been vastly superior to Globe..Globe always has an intermittent connection..

To answer your question..  Earth,, You?

Well, now you do know.

All of us are here to learn - some more than others.

Oh, don't be silly. That was a rhetorical question. 

Sun is shit, and will probably be for some time to come. This includes all aspects of its available services. 

miles-high

Lol, what planet are you on? Sun is owned by PLDT.

PLDT owns Smart and Sun, while NTT/NTT DoCoMo, Japan's largest cellphone service provider now owns 16.4% of PLDT and they are trying to provide necessary technical assistance to PLDT/Smart/Sun. I would hope that all their services would improve as time goes by.

As I mentioned elsewhere, at many locations their antennas are now colocated… As their beams are necessarily very directional and fan-shaped, each group “tunes” its antenna directions, fan-shapes and tilt angles to suit each customer base and demand, I would guess, to keep their high-paying customers (postpaid corporate workers around each city's CBD and major roads) satisfied…

As they are preparing to make their CDO hub online and their Cebu resources dedicated to the Visayas only, their services should, hopefully, be improved in the near future...

In the meantime, you could try their competitor, Globe or connect both to your computer (Win7 and above with a mother board with 2 NIC's or WiFi combination) or to your load balancing router...

Even a 3am test fails often.

Their AM shift (2am to 10am) is used for the maintenance work (troubleshooting, update, upgrade, etc.) during their lowest connection request time (usually 2am to 4am, so that it would not affect much on their revenue) so you should test it around 5am… ;)

senseless

I got my antenna today

While, the smart "app" was reporting before that I had 5 signal bars, the windows connection manager reported only 2 bars. After installing the antenna windows connection manager now reports 3 bars. Loading web pages seems a bit "snappier".

Antenna comes with a base that has a magnet on it so i just slapped it to my fortified prison bar like windows and played with it until I got the best signal.

Might be worth a try. No problems thus far with being downgraded into HSDPA mode from HSPA+.

Speed tests now reporting a solid 4-5Mbit download, and 256Kbit upload. My ping times went from 120ms to the pldt.speedtest.net server to around 55-65ms.

highly recommended if your unit has an external antenna port, get one. and upgrade to a modem that supports HSPA+ while you're at it.

2885941705.png

2885943497.png

Next test, lets see what I can get downloading a torrent...

Well, so far so good.. I can even browse web pages while downloading torrents!! Something i was NOT able to do before..

Attached an image of about 10-15 minutes worth of torrent download in speed graph format. It bounced around between 1.5Mbit and 4Mbit. These tests were all conducted at around 4PM in an area where a lot of people are going to be sending texts, using facebook, etc from these sort of dongles. Fairly impressed so far with the service now that the reception isn't complete and utter shit. It's really not bad for an unlimited service on 4G (HSPA+).

If you're still using one of the HSDPA modems (3G) I would recommend you get one of these Huawei H3131 modems and the antenna I linked at the top of the thread. The service is the same, there's no additional charge, you just need the new modem. The modem uses a micro-sim card and the sim card from my old orange/black HSDPA smart bro dongle is not compatible. I'm going to try to get them to convert that post paid sim card to a new micro sim card while keeping the service in-tact so I can use it in this new modem. But even using the unlimited 200 pre-paid plan (5 days unlimited), it'd only be 1200 pesos per month. I bought the dongle from a local store for 1399p or 1499p (cant remember) including 240 free hours of service.

My next test will be to see if I can actually carry on a conversation over skype now without it cutting out constantly. Don't have anyone to call at the moment and it's 4:30AM in the US anyway, will need to wait until tonight.

post-6441-0-01874500-1375863348_thumb.png

Edited by senseless
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
senseless

Bad News:

After streaming some netflix, hulu and downloading a few torrents over the past month they've decided to limit me to 10Kbytes per second.

Good News:

I swapped the sim card to the sim card of my phone, activated 3g, and used the promo code and viola I'm back to 5Mbit.

Other Thoughts:

Since it's a prepaid I was just paying every few days for the unlimited promo code. Like everyone else in the country, there are at least a half a dozen sim cards strewn throughout the house. I can just swap sims whenever they throttle me. If you're experience super slow rates on 3g/4g with data, you might try swapping out your sim card for a new one.

Codes:

PHONE SIM
"3G ON" to 211 to turn 3G service on for a phone sim
UNLI 50 - 1 day to 211
UNLI 300 - 7 days to 211
UNLI 1200 - 30 days to 211

DONGLE SIM -- Promo codes used for the sim I got with the dongle these codes don't work on the phone, and the phone codes don't work on this sim.
UNLISURF 50 - 1 day to 2200
UNLISURF 85 - 2 days to 2200
UNLISURF 200 - 5 days to 2200

Edited by senseless
  • Like 1

I got the Globe 4G Superstick. Loaded the sim with 1 giga Powersurf and popped it in. Nice fast wifi almost anywhere in the house. Even got a signal outside.

KennyF

Neither the Globe nor Smart dongles worked for me.

I move in a week or so and I hope to get better reception then.

KonC

miles-high

I bought this Smart Bro LTE... worked OK 4G around the SM Cebu/Radisson/Airport areas... 3G Makati... could not speedtest on my Nokia 920 (WP8 too complicated for me hehe ;))

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I have really not wanted to chime in on this comedy of blunders we call internet here. In my experince rating various internet in Talisay Pardo area. Smart bro Fixed roof canopy best choice, PLDT DSL next best choice, Globe Wimax, Smart 3G Dongle or Smart Sim internet, Globe DSL. Your milage may very yet I have had all of the above and still use smart bro fixed canopy and 3G on my phones. My Smart Bro Canopy runs 2mb down and 600Kb up. 3G Smartbuddy or talk-n-text not to bad at 1.5Mb and 325 Kb.

Wow. Thats a sad state of affairs when the PldT DSL can't beat Smart Bro...