Smart V Globe internet dongles.

KennyF

I think both cost roughly the same at just under 1,000 pesos but I was wondering, geography aside, is one better than the other?

KonC

USMC-Retired

Just go online SUILT buy an open line cost the same. No there is no diffrence. Diffrent brands of the same item.

A_Simple_Man

The globe dongle, using 999 prepaid monthly, will limit your amount of download per day.  Watch about 45 minutes to an hour of you tube and thats it for the day.  Have to wait until midnight for more downloadability.  I don't think Smart does that.

Peter C

The globe dongle, using 999 prepaid monthly, will limit your amount of download per day.  Watch about 45 minutes to an hour of you tube and thats it for the day.  Have to wait until midnight for more downloadability.  I don't think Smart does that.

I bought this one last year for testing, because I was no more satisfied with the slow postpaid smart-bro connection in my area. As I remember the downloads for Globe prepaid had been limited to abt. 800Mb per day (less than an average movie). Because the quality of the internet connection now was much better I cancelled smart-bro and changed the Globe to postpaid. For the same price of 999 PHP/month I have no limitations in downloads and I am satisfied with the speed. But the download speed depends very much on the area where you are and how many consumers are logged in there. Going to my sister-in-law in San Fernando we experienced the opposite - smart was better there compared to Globe.

if you have your own unlocked dongle you can cancel a postpaid contract at Globe any time.

Based on my own experience, they're both awful.  But that's just me.  Even a 3am test fails often.  It'll be fine, high download rates then 10 minutes later, you won't be able to load pages.  10 minutes later, you'll have high speed again.

• 2 weeks later...
iconpools

I am not sure about all of Cebu (currently live in Leyte) but hands down Sun is the best. Nothing spectacular speedwise but it is very reliable  and almost never offline. Unlimited downloads also.. I have downloaded a huge amount of stuff... I just leave it on overnight when download speeds are faster....

Paul

I am not sure about all of Cebu (currently live in Leyte) but hands down Sun is the best. Nothing spectacular speedwise but it is very reliable  and almost never offline. Unlimited downloads also.. I have downloaded a huge amount of stuff... I just leave it on overnight when download speeds are faster....

Um, what planet are you on? Sun can't compete with PLDT and Globe. Personally, I had good service from the Globe dongle.

KennyF

Thanks for all the info guys, my Globe Tattoo sim arrives today so I'll soon know what's what.

For what it's worth, no Sun on Camiguin island (at all) and where I am on the beach at Kogita there's no Smart either.

Globe cell has a good signal though so I'm hoping Tattoo will work for me.

KonC

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Kind of depends on where you are  in my experience. I had all 3 and each had its own place where it was the best. For Cebu, I found Globe to be the best. 

One thing I noticed is I could have a post-paid and pre-paid from Globe side by side and the post paid performed significantly better. 

easy44

I recently moved to Leyte, from a 2mb landline Globe DSL in Cebu to a Globe 2G wireless internet connection.  Smart is not an option where I live and even the Globe signal is limited.  I can't get a 3G connection and 2G sucks badly.  Connection speed varies from minute to minute, with some definite throttling going on.  The best I have ever gotten is about 29 Kb/sec, and that is very rare, usually around 9 or 10.  Out here in the boonies you don't have much choice and it definitely sucks.

KennyF

Well I fired up the Tattoo sim in my ZTE MF100 stick and after a bit of a fiddle, got connected.

Problem is, the connection is really bad. 0.1 up to 2.0 kb up and about the same down.

My Globe cell phone ranges from zero to five bars in seconds with some sms not even being sent.

The Globe Tattoo in the stick gets maximum two bars.

I guess this is not a good time to be doing this as Globe, or the Philippines internet in general seems to be in crisis.

Perhaps I'll wait until next week to try it again.

But thanks all for the info.

KonC

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Well I fired up the Tattoo sim in my ZTE MF100 stick and after a bit of a fiddle, got connected.

Problem is, the connection is really bad. 0.1 up to 2.0 kb up and about the same down.

My Globe cell phone ranges from zero to five bars in seconds with some sms not even being sent.

The Globe Tattoo in the stick gets maximum two bars.

I guess this is not a good time to be doing this as Globe, or the Philippines internet in general seems to be in crisis.

Perhaps I'll wait until next week to try it again.

But thanks all for the info.

KonC

Where are you? Do you get 3G on your cell phone? 

Yep - Philippines internet in general is a disgrace... 

Edited by Monsoon
senseless

Um, what planet are you on? Sun can't compete with PLDT and Globe. Personally, I had good service from the Globe dongle.

Lol, what planet are you on? Sun is owned by PLDT.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/business/10/26/11/ntc-approves-pldt-digitel-merger

My experience so far is the HSDPA (3G) is shit, I don't know if the spectrum is full of texters and calls, or if the companies are trying to cause interference with other's signals... But if you can get a 4G (HSPA+) dongle it's much better (so far). Note: 4G and 4G LTE are 2 completely different things. The LTE service here is pretty much non-existant. I recently bought a pre-paid Huawei H3131 (4G HSPA+) from Smart and the service has been almost "ok". I was able to download a game from steam (12 Gig in about 12 Hours) with spikes up to 12Mbit and an average of 250Kbyte/s or so. I ordered an antenna from amazon to see if things improve (Note: the H3131 has a port for an external antenna). Hopefully it will be here in a week or so. Occasionally the modem drops into HSDPA mode and when it does that, it goes back into the same useless bullshit that I experienced with my orange smart 3g dongle.

Edited by senseless
easy44

Lol, what planet are you on? Sun is owned by PLDT.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/business/10/26/11/ntc-approves-pldt-digitel-merger

My experience so far is the HSDPA (3G) is shit, I don't know if the spectrum is full of texters and calls, or if the companies are trying to cause interference with other's signals... But if you can get a 4G (HSPA+) dongle it's much better (so far). Note: 4G and 4G LTE are 2 completely different things. The LTE service here is pretty much non-existant. I recently bought a pre-paid Huawei H3131 (4G HSPA+) from Smart and the service has been almost "ok". I was able to download a game from steam (12 Gig in about 12 Hours) with spikes up to 12Mbit and an average of 250Kbyte/s or so. I ordered an antenna from amazon to see if things improve (Note: the H3131 has a port for an external antenna). Hopefully it will be here in a week or so. Occasionally the modem drops into HSDPA mode and when it does that, it goes back into the same useless bullshit that I experienced with my orange smart 3g dongle.

I would kill for 3G, my Huawei E5332 has an external antenna and that helps reception noticeably.  Unfortunately it won't get me 3G in my area.

USMC-Retired

I have really not wanted to chime in on this comedy of blunders we call internet here. In my experince rating various internet in Talisay Pardo area. Smart bro Fixed roof canopy best choice, PLDT DSL next best choice, Globe Wimax, Smart 3G Dongle or Smart Sim internet, Globe DSL. Your milage may very yet I have had all of the above and still use smart bro fixed canopy and 3G on my phones. My Smart Bro Canopy runs 2mb down and 600Kb up. 3G Smartbuddy or talk-n-text not to bad at 1.5Mb and 325 Kb.