Dual Citizenship and Land/ Lot Purchase

tomaw

As mentioned in numerous other threads only Philippine citizens can purchase land in the Philippines. But what about those with dual citizenship? In another thread someone mentioned that a dual citizen is limited to the purchases only a 1,000 sq.m. of land. my wife currently just has Philippine citizenship but may be getting American citizenship in the near future. We want to buy a lot and build a house in Cebu when I retire. What happens if we buy the lot while she is still a Philippine citizen, then she becomes an American citizen and then becomes a dual citizen?

Edited by tomaw
Banacon

I just did google on it..former filipino that has acquired another citizenship can only purchase 1,000 sq m property. Dual citizen filipina/filipino can buy same as non dual citizen in Philippines...just what I noticed on google search..

shadow

I just did google on it..former filipino that has acquired another citizenship can only purchase 1,000 sq m property. Dual citizen filipina/filipino can buy same as non dual citizen in Philippines...just what I noticed on google search..

Correct, a "Dual citizen" is a Philippine citizen regardless of what other citizenship they may hold...

smokey

well if you look at it from their point of view... OFW goes overseas and them comes back and buys up the block.... happens everywhere when i moved to oregon after selling a California home i paid cash and instantly came the rumor must be a drug dealer ...

smokey

is limited to the purchases only a 1,000 sq.m. of land. my wife currently just has Philippine citizenship but maybe getting American citizenship in the near future. We want to buy a lot and build a house in Cebu when I retire. What happens if we buy the lot while she is still a Philippine citizen, then she becomes an American citizen and then becomes a dual citizen?

[/quote

my wife already has about 1 hector in her name but we plan on her getting a us citz so after i am gone she is able to live her life with stressing

goldote

The Philippine Embassy in LA often gives the clearest answers.

Can I acquire real property in the Philippines even if I am already a naturalized American citizen?

Any natural-born citizen who has lost his Philippine
citizenship may acquire a private land up to a maximum area of five
thousand (5,000) square meters in the case of urban land or three (3)
hectares in the case of rural land to be used by him/her for business or
other purposes. In the case of married couples, one of them may avail
of the privilege herein granted (please see Republic. Act 8179, Sec 10).

This is plenty of property for us.

Wife fears future US austerity cuts might eliminate first those on US social security who share citizenship.   

Excuse for this being the required swearing of allegiance to both countries.  

She trusts her country to give her a passport later if ever necessary.

RogerDat

Can I acquire real property in the Philippines even if I am already a naturalized American citizen?

Wife fears future US austerity cuts might eliminate first those on US social security who share citizenship.   

Greetings! Get the paperwork done NOW, and do not wait for the future! laws change yearly here!

hchoate

What happens if we buy the lot while she is still a Philippine citizen, then she becomes an American citizen and then becomes a dual citizen

Yeah, what happens if one already owns property- must happen a lot with rich Filipinos.

All I can find is rules about 'acquiring' not about retaining.

The good news is that a non-Filipino CAN inherit property. My guess is that if non-Filipinos can own property outright via inheritance then ownership can be retained by former Filipinos- sort of inheriting from yourself!

Fundamentals Of Property Ownership

http://www.islandsproperties.com/resources/realestatelaws.htm

For more information please contact your Philippine Lawyer or a Licensed Real
Estate Broker.

goldote

Greetings! Get the paperwork done NOW, and do not wait for the future! laws change yearly here!

I agree. She doesn't trust US gov. But it's her call and I don't argue. 

tomaw

...... Thanks. That's the clearest answer yet and certainly more land than we're ever going to need.
tomaw

...... Thanks. My wife should have no problem then as a dual citizen.
tomaw

Thanks everyone for your answers. It looks like the dual citizenship is the way to go for us.

SkyMan

and instantly came the rumor must be a drug dealer ...

It's only a rumor if it's not true.

What happens if we buy the lot while she is still a Philippine citizen, then she becomes an American citizen and then becomes a dual citizen?

You're being redundant here Smokey.  If you're wife becomes a US citizen she is still an RP citizen so she is at that point a dual citizen because the US allows dual citizenship.  She didn't lose her RP citz so no need to reacquire it.

Edited by SkyMan
fred42

It's only a rumor if it's not true.

You're being redundant here Smokey.  If you're wife becomes a US citizen she is still an RP citizen so she is at that point a dual citizen because the US allows dual citizenship.  She didn't lose her RP citz so no need to reacquire it.

I'm pretty certain that's incorrect, Otherwise why would they ever need to re acquire their citizenship to retain their former land ownership rights?

SkyMan

I'm pretty certain that's incorrect, Otherwise why would they ever need to re acquire their citizenship to retain their former land ownership rights?

Because not all countries are the US and some countries do not allow dual citizenship and if they acquire that citizenship they lose their RP citizenship.  Then it needs to be reacquired, however, they would most likely then lose their other citizenship if that country were to find out.

Edited by SkyMan