Catastrophic med insurance for foreigner in 60s with pre-existing conditions

Posted Yesterday, 01:19 AM Kreole, on 11 Sept 2013 - 17:08, said: I think that Blue Cross is your best option here in the RP.  Fortunately I have not had any reason to use it thus far, and am excluded from all pre-existing conditions.  So, I have it only for "accident" insurance or emergency medical not related to pre-existing conditions.  I cannot say it is good or bad, only that it SEEMS to be the best alternative.  This is not the same Blue Cross as exists in the US.  The local agent to contact is a very trusted and long time member of LICF.  His name is Paul Whiteway.  You can contact him by email:  [email protected]  

Good luck   They will gladly take your money. But based on my personal experience, when it comes down to it, you will be left with a bill.    They have a table for premiums based on age. They WILL NOT cover preexisting conditions.   You are better off putting that money in the bank. 

I would be very much interested in your personal experience since I have never filed a claim with Blue Cross.  I am fully aware that they will not cover my pre-existing conditions and I am ok with that.  It is the medical emergency that I want to cover.  For example, I ride a motorcycle, and an accident can be potentially very expensive.  Or I may trip and break a leg.  These are "physical" injuries unrelated to my pre-existing conditions and might require some hospital time, even emergency surgery.  So that is the ONLY reason that I bought this insurance.  I also live on a small island about 2 to 3 hours away from any emergency care.  Being bitten by a brown cobra or stung by a deadly jellyfish would mean death.  And that is the price I pay for my lifestyle here.  I would rather die living my life here than a slow death in the US.  

If you have examples of Blue Cross denying claims of an emergency nature as I describe, then do me the great favor of relating those to me so I can cancel my insurance immediately and put my money back into the bank.  I only got Blue Cross because a forum member here on LICF had a terrible motorcycle accident and was hospitalized for, I believe, 30 days recovering from multiple injuries.  Apparently, Blue Cross paid most of the bill, as it had been contracted.  On that recommendation alone I bought the insurance.  I am 65 and therefore at the highest tier of premiums based on age.  Beyond this there is no insurance that will cover me.  My premium is about $1,600 per year, not expensive by US standards IF it does actually cover me for the type of emergencies described above.

• Like 1
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paddy

• hchoate

• sperry

• Kreole

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

loads say to have to think about your health, and the phils aint that great compared to other places, i dont think that, i want to enjoy what time i have left, we are all going to die one day , i woul

I think that Blue Cross is your best option here in the RP.  Fortunately I have not had any reason to use it thus far, and am excluded from all pre-existing conditions.  So, I have it only for "accide

They will gladly take your money. But based on my personal experience, when it comes down to it, you will be left with a bill.    They have a table for premiums based on age. They WILL NOT cover pre

Why worry...have a bad accident, heart attack or stroke etc away from the big smoke and you are history...remember no 911 or 000 here....

if its for a health emergency n you are in hospital, the insurance company will do their best to deem it pre-existing....accidents are prob the closest thing to getting a pay-out.

Save some funds for these events or keep a credit card handy....

Edited by ozboy

Why worry

It's not winding up in Hell that worries me- it's burning through all the family assets on the way down.

(Wondered how the heck you were doing ...)

• 3 months later...
Jack_be_nimble

They will gladly take your money. But based on my personal experience, when it comes down to it, you will be left with a bill. 

They have a table for premiums based on age. They WILL NOT cover preexisting conditions.

You are better off putting that money in the bank. 

That's been my experience with filing claims, even after talking to customer service jockeys about coverages before signing up. And that was when I lived in the US. Insurace co's are self-serving entities.

angbumabasa

I am 72, have BCBS through FEHB, and darn near died this time last year. Lost 70 pounds, Spent time in three hospitals in three different cities. BCBS paid all medication then and continues to do so now. However, for services they only covered Cebu Doctors Hospital which is on their preferred provider list. I paid cash for all the rest including ambulance and traveling nurses with an IV plugged in. Had to borrow from legal lenders at 10% and pawnshops at 3% and only now are we paying off that debt.

• Like 2

I am 72, have BCBS through FEHB, and darn near died this time last year. Lost 70 pounds, Spent time in three hospitals in three different cities. BCBS paid all medication then and continues to do so now. However, for services they only covered Cebu Doctors Hospital which is on their preferred provider list. I paid cash for all the rest including ambulance and traveling nurses with an IV plugged in. Had to borrow from legal lenders at 10% and pawnshops at 3% and only now are we paying off that debt.

Sorry to hear of your close call. I was surprised to hear that BCBS has preferred providers such as Chung Hua.

Has this allowed you to use a direct billing procedure between BCBS and CHH?

I know there are other FEHB insurance carriers which have overseas coverage. One, Mail Handlers Benefit Plan has all providers as preferred. This greatly simplifies the claims process. However, it does require pay as you go with reimbursement later.

MHBP also has a reasonable medications coverage with a copay amount that works out pretty good for long term meds.

As to catastrophic coverage, I think most companies within FEHB have similar if not identical features.

angbumabasa

BCBS paid direct for all services rendered until discharged from the hospital. Ambulances on both ends of a ferry ride were paid in cash and not covered. Further, BCBS amends the preferred provider list annually. Medication is paid for up front by us and then submitted to their Pharmacy program in Phoenix. Service not paid direct is submitted to their services program in Miami. We submit everything of course since all they can do is deny.

I have had to use Blue Cross Philippines twice. Bought it direct from their office on Gorordo. I opted for the no-cash swipe card plan. BC were excellent on both occasions, once with Chong Hua and once with Perpetual Succour. Their reps were very attentive and helpful and checkout was a painless cash-free process. Personally I recommend them highly.

NOSOCALPINOY

I have had to use Blue Cross Philippines twice. Bought it direct from their office on Gorordo. I opted for the no-cash swipe card plan. BC were excellent on both occasions, once with Chong Hua and once with Perpetual Succour. Their reps were very attentive and helpful and checkout was a painless cash-free process. Personally I recommend them highly.

With Blue Cross of the Philippines and or other major ins companies, one has to jump a lot of hoops before pre-existing medical issues can be approved after a one year waiting period, after taking a physical exam and once approved, the premiums will usually go up 20%! The USD type Blue Cross health coverage with no cash layout are expensive as one gets up there in age!

Yeah, Blue Cross of the Philippines is a reputable health insurer, but awfully expensive with the no cash layout type of policy.  

batman2525

darn near died this time last year

Hope your doing ok now.

Good Luck.

• Like 1

As would I. Also had 2 separate claims with BC; both times the rep came to the hospital and personally handled everything. I didn't even submit claim forms.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Some years ago I was living in Chiang mai, Thailand.  There's an expat website called thaivisa, and this question went round and round. 

Now this may only apply to Thai insurance, not insurance originating in the Phils but the summation that I would make goes like this.

At best you would be covered for the first occurrence, and never thereafter, now being classified as "pre-existing condition."  In other words, get treated once for Angina (inadequate oxygen to the heart causing chest pain) and no cardiac conditons would ever be covered after that.

At worst it really came out to: "Sorry we won't cover the myocardial infarction you had (heart attack) because you had a pre-existing condition, your blood pressure was higher than normal", or even worse--cynically speaking "We won't cover your heart attack--you have evidence of once having a pulse."

Do your research.

Edited by Steve-usa
contraman

When making up my mind about settling here it was one of the items that I did quite some investigation about.

I did not need to bother in the past as it was covered by my company under the terms of my employment.

The best deal I could get was from Alliance Insurance.

But I was only looking at mainly evcauation insurance.

However, after spending several hours on this, I just happened to receive in the mail a booklet from my credit card company with an update of their Terms and Conditions (isn't it great how they can change the rules, even after you have signed up to a different set?) And much to my surprise I find that I am already covered for such an event,

So those with overseas credit cards my wish to check with their provider

May not suit everyone but it Works for me

Edited by contraman
  • Like 1
ed villas

I think that Blue Cross is your best option here in the RP.  Fortunately I have not had any reason to use it thus far, and am excluded from all pre-existing conditions.  So, I have it only for "accident" insurance or emergency medical not related to pre-existing conditions.  I cannot say it is good or bad, only that it SEEMS to be the best alternative.  This is not the same Blue Cross as exists in the US.  The local agent to contact is a very trusted and long time member of LICF.  His name is Paul Whiteway.  You can contact him by email:  [email protected]  Good luck

contact the AAP (American association Philippines) as they now offer a group rate when they reach 100 members.

thisinsurance will be with BLUE CROSS

• 4 weeks later...
medic3500

Just FYI, I have been in contact with several of the hospitals in Manila reference acceptance of US Blue Cross Blue Shield. This information affects the same for major hospitals through out the country. The majority if not all of major hospitals have quit taking US Blue Cross Blue Shield who use too. I was not satisfied with that answer and dug deeper into the why they wouldn't.

It turns out it is a pretty simple situation and hopefully will be fixed by the end of the year, BCBS decided to drop their previous overseas underwriter and made contract with another company called AXA. By doing this, it voided all contractual agreements with the hospitals who at time were accepting BCBS for services. According to a response from BCBS they sent notices out to all policy holders that this was going to take place and who the replacement was and how to contact them, I never received it as I'm sure most other didn't either

I contacted AXA in the US directly and they responded quickly informing me that yes they are in fact the agent and they are renegotiating contracts and working to streamline billing procedures with the larger accredited hospitals in the Metro areas first then will go from there. As of date of that response The Medical City was complete which I confirmed directly with The Medical City main hospital billing dept. that they will bill BCBS directly for services rendered. At the same time I was informed that St. Lukes, Makati Medical Ctr, Manila Doctors and probably Asian Medical Ctr. would be back on board soon if all went well. Cebu Doctors and Chong Hua were mentioned also but I haven't followed up with the others.

If you are a holder of a US BCBS policy go to the website scroll to international claims which will redirect you AXA and contact them directly about medical services in your area. They were helpful with me and quick reply.

Dan