Catastrophic med insurance for foreigner in 60s with pre-existing conditions

hchoate

Anyone any experience?

Alternatives?

Have been told a medical evac to the US was U$50K years ago

'course you can't get on an airliner if you are very sick.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paddy

• sperry

• hchoate

• Jawny

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

loads say to have to think about your health, and the phils aint that great compared to other places, i dont think that, i want to enjoy what time i have left, we are all going to die one day , i woul

I think that Blue Cross is your best option here in the RP.  Fortunately I have not had any reason to use it thus far, and am excluded from all pre-existing conditions.  So, I have it only for "accide

They will gladly take your money. But based on my personal experience, when it comes down to it, you will be left with a bill.    They have a table for premiums based on age. They WILL NOT cover pre

stevewool

loads say to have to think about your health, and the phils aint that great compared to other places, i dont think that, i want to enjoy what time i have left, we are all going to die one day , i would rather die somewhere with the sun on my face and a great view, and thats not England

• Like 8
  • 1 month later...

I think that Blue Cross is your best option here in the RP.  Fortunately I have not had any reason to use it thus far, and am excluded from all pre-existing conditions.  So, I have it only for "accident" insurance or emergency medical not related to pre-existing conditions.  I cannot say it is good or bad, only that it SEEMS to be the best alternative.  This is not the same Blue Cross as exists in the US.  The local agent to contact is a very trusted and long time member of LICF.  His name is Paul Whiteway.  You can contact him by email:  [email protected]  Good luck

• Like 3
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I think that Blue Cross is your best option here in the RP.  Fortunately I have not had any reason to use it thus far, and am excluded from all pre-existing conditions.  So, I have it only for "accident" insurance or emergency medical not related to pre-existing conditions.  I cannot say it is good or bad, only that it SEEMS to be the best alternative.  This is not the same Blue Cross as exists in the US.  The local agent to contact is a very trusted and long time member of LICF.  His name is Paul Whiteway.  You can contact him by email:  [email protected]  Good luck

They will gladly take your money. But based on my personal experience, when it comes down to it, you will be left with a bill. 

They have a table for premiums based on age. They WILL NOT cover preexisting conditions.

You are better off putting that money in the bank. 

• Like 2

One member here thought that a high limit credit card that is reserved only for medical is a way to go.

And YES and medical evac is $50K.

If a member here is living in Cebu with known medical problems; then the risk factor is high. The Phils ain't too good dealing with cancer. I do not want to get into a long chatter about a close friend of mine who died there in a "first line" hospital in Cebu. Hospitals there are not like the USA. Some are limited to what they can provide. If a medical event is starting; travel to Hong Kong. It's basically a plan you will have to activate when the need arises. Phil Health isn't a bad insurance. I do not know if a foreigner is eligible.

Several close relations to my wife have not done well with a cancer discovery.

Fred

If you have a potentially life threatening pre-existing condition, I think you need to be comfortable with your own mortality if you travel out of range of your everyday healthcare system - or have very deep pockets.

If you have a non-life threatening pre-existing condition that is expensive to treat and/or would prevent you from catching the next plane home, I think you need to be prepared to accept lesser treatment - or have very deep pockets.

If you don't have any pre-existing conditions - think twice. The insurance companies are very adept at linking your current medical problem with something else in your medical history. Very deep pockets might help here too.

Example, my mother visited here in Canada. She had her regular (she had been doing this for years) insurance including medical. She fell down the stairs one night (scary I know) and broke her leg. The bill was around Cdn$20k. Does anyone think the insurance company would have a problem paying the claim?

The insurance company used my mother's macular degeneration as a pre-existing condition (her bad eyesight caused the fall) and refused to pay. It took two years of argument with the insurance company and working with the Insurance Ombudsman in the UK before the Insurance company would pay.

• Like 1

I have not had a bad experience with medical care here.

Your query refers to medical evacuation so I am assuming that means you would want to know what sort of options you have if your pre-existing condition creates a medical emergency. There are a variety of choices for the destination if you need to be evacuated. Singapore, Hong Kong, Thailand and other nearby destinations have modern medical care. So does the Philippines. I live in leyte and for me a choice becomes using local medical care, here in Leyte, a medical evacuation (by ferry) to Cebu, medical evacuation to the NCR or leave to another country.

If you are determined an evacuation is to be to the USA, then the suggestion of a high limit credit card may be your best bet.

As to alternatives, the Philippines is an excellent alternative. I know that many members will point out disappointing experiences. I've had some myself. However, the "big picture" is that the medical care available here is pretty good. Of course, there will be bad apples and problems to watch out for. However, the same is true even in a modern and overpriced health care system such as in the USA.

In my own family, we've had several surgeries, medical emergencies, chronic care provided and the usual family care issues. Overall, the care we've received here has been as good as other places I've lived. There are some differences such as long periods in waiting rooms, crowded labs, inefficient billing and paperwork, rude and arrogant support staff, lack of privacy and so on. However, overall the care is sufficient.

Sounds with the evac to the states comment the writer is a US Citizen.  Any consideration to go to Guam?  Unless nothing less than the Mayo cllinic will do Guam can manage most things and your medicare should pick it up there.  If you have a pre-existing condition do some checking with local doctors and hospitals and see what might be done for you locally and at what price.  St Lukes hospital in Manila would be as good as most hospitals in the USA with the exception of high and costly university based medical centers.  Bumrangrad Hospital in Bangkok is also a World Class medical center and not so far away.

If a pre-existing medical condition exists, you cannot get insurance cover for a medical emergency deriving from that condition. As a result, when you travel with such a condition, you are self-insured.

If you travel to the Philippines and the "wrong" medical emergency occurs:

a ) can you get treatment? - Yes. Where you are might determine the quality, or even the availability of the treatment. You will pay for whatever treatment you get. It might not cost as much as the same treatment in a 1st world country. Don't forget the possible Kano tax and the fact that you are now between a rock and hard place.

b ) can you get a medevac flight home? - Yes. You will pay for it. It will be expensive (to most of us).

Assuming that we're talking about a significant medical condition/emergency, if you don't happen to have the ability to pay at least US$50k (either in cash or by some form of credit) you have two basic choices:

1) Don't travel

2) Travel and take the risk

2a) Nothing happens and you're OK

2b) The emergency happens, you manage to incur some huge debt and can pay for treatment or medevac

2c) The emergency happens, you cannot pay, therefore you accept the consequences

I thought about that US$50k limit I mentioned. Personally, I think it should be at least US$100k - but consensus in the posts has a medevac flight costing around US$50k. Either way, unless 2a applies, you need deep pockets or some very good family and friends...with deep pockets...

By way of example for medical costs - nearly 30 years ago, just being in a Canadian hospital cost Cdn$500 per day and that did not include any medical services except the nursing. Last year, in provincial Philippines, daily hospital cost with pretty basic treatment for heart attack (not mine fortunately) was about PHP8000. So actual treatment costs could be significantly less in the Philippines - but you are still taking the risk.

Anyone any experience?

Alternatives?

Have been told a medical evac to the US was U$50K years ago

'course you can't get on an airliner if you are very sick.

The $50K was not years ago. That was the price quoted to my American friend a year ago when he was diagnosed with a stage 4 cancer from the Esophagus. He was warned about travelling there with all of his problems and went anyway.

As an aside, there are other ways you can end up being self-insured on a trip.

My 2nd last trip to my slice of paradise I flew from the UK instead of Canada. I had been in the UK for an extended period and decided I needed a break. My usual routine is to book the flight(s) online and then call a friendly travel agent nearby here in Canada and arrange the insurance. So, I booked the flight and made the call. "Sorry, we can't insure you because you are not leaving from Canada". OK, so I pop into Thomas Cook and ask if they will sell me travel insurance. "Yes. IF you are a British Resident". I am not a British Resident and I definitely do not want to claim that I am. The tax implications are horrendous.

Although my trip cost about Cdn$250 less than it might have done (no premium to pay), I took all the risk and I tried very hard not to think about it while I was there!

Thanks all.

Was really more interested in the catastrophic insurance part (that MIGHT also pay for an evac??- who the hell would you call for a medical evacuation, anyway!).

You know, something like a million $ in coverage with a $10,000 deductable (that might satisfy a local hospital to provide say $40k treatment with only having to come up with the $10k up front). Had such a thing here in US 15 years ago for $80 a month- until State laws drove out all the insurers.

Maybe a US company that would insure while abroad.

I'm probably dreaming.

Thanks all.

Was really more interested in the catastrophic insurance part (that MIGHT also pay for an evac??- who the hell would you call for a medical evacuation, anyway!).

You know, something like a million $ in coverage with a $10,000 deductable (that might satisfy a local hospital to provide say $40k treatment with only having to come up with the $10k up front). Had such a thing here in US 15 years ago for $80 a month- until State laws drove out all the insurers.

Maybe a US company that would insure while abroad.

I'm probably dreaming.

Maybe not. A quick google search turned up USI Affinity Travel Insurance. They say they do various coverage plans for US and Canadian citizens travelling abroad. Their plans can include evacuation. I have no personal knowledge of this company.

If you are not concerned about the pre-existing condition exclusion(s) and would travel anyway, I should think you could find something.

Search strategy: Here in Canada, the types of organization that do travel insurance are: Major Banks, Major Insurance Companies and Charter/Holiday Airlines (Air Transat is such a company). If calling a few of your US equivalents doesn't turn up something, call or walk in to your local travel agent.

Edited by Paddy

As an aside, there are other ways you can end up being self-insured on a trip.

My 2nd last trip to my slice of paradise I flew from the UK instead of Canada. I had been in the UK for an extended period and decided I needed a break. My usual routine is to book the flight(s) online and then call a friendly travel agent nearby here in Canada and arrange the insurance. So, I booked the flight and made the call. "Sorry, we can't insure you because you are not leaving from Canada". OK, so I pop into Thomas Cook and ask if they will sell me travel insurance. "Yes. IF you are a British Resident". I am not a British Resident and I definitely do not want to claim that I am. The tax implications are horrendous.

Although my trip cost about Cdn$250 less than it might have done (no premium to pay), I took all the risk and I tried very hard not to think about it while I was there!

Well it sort of makes sense as the insurance company needs to know where they will evacuate you back to. And they want to know that they can easily pass you over to another insurance scheme once you get home.