Jump to content

Immigration Chief Ricardo David Resigns


Recommended Posts

jessdaddy

I suppose this just goes to show that the American Embassy is really not as powerless as they claim - WHEN they actually want to help one of their citizens.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guy60417

I'm surprised about how many people here are dissing this guy and suggesting he's corrupt. In my opinion, he's radically transformed the Bureau of Immigration into one of the best run and least corrupt institutions I've ever dealt with here. Most people should applaud the changes he's brought about ...

 

That's pretty much my impression, too. Which makes it unfortunate that he's out.

 

I wonder if he just got frustrated dealing with the crooks, or if he was forced out by the crooks?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
jessdaddy

Immigration chief quits over ‘events’    By Vito Barcelo

Immigration Commissioner Ricardo David has resigned from his post following the

reports on the bureau’s failure to prevent the escape of some

high-profile fugitives and its lax policies that allowed human

traffickers to thrive and send people abroad illegally.

Justice Secretary Leila de Lima, who has supervision over the bureau,

named Siegfried Mison as its officer in charge while Malacañang

searched for David’s replacement.

Presidential spokeswoman Abigail Valte said President Benigno Aquino

III had accepted David’s resignation over some “events” that transpired

under his watch and which prompted him to hand in his resignation letter

on July 12.

“We would like to thank Commissioner David for his services to the country,” Valte said.

“He felt it was but proper for him to take full responsibility for the events that transpired under his leadership.”

David thanked the President for giving him the opportunity to serve the bureau.

“The task assigned to me to cleanse the Bureau of corrupt and

inefficient personnel has been very challenging and difficult,” David

said in his letter.

“Despite our determined efforts to hold liable and punish those

involved in anomalous acts, several unfortunate incidents and

controversies have taken place which undermined our anti-corruption

campaign.”

Sources at the bureau said David’s resignation had something to do

with the escape from the Philippines of some high-profile fugitives, 

including Korean national Kim Tae Dong who was wanted in South Korea for

duping people and leaving the country with some $8 million.

They said Kim gave at least $2 million to some Immigration officers

in exchange for his departure from the Philippines for Korea, where he

was eventually captured.

Former Palawan Gov. Joel Reyes and his brother, former Coron Mayor

Mario Reyes, the prime suspects in the murder of broadcaster Gerry

Ortega, were also able to leave the country under David’s watch.

The US Embassy also questioned David’s decision to continue detaining

Walter Francis Groves, an American citizen, after a Makati regional

trial court dismissed the estafa case against him.

David said Groves could not be deported immediately because the estafa case had only been dismissed provisionally.

 

And last year, President Aquino scolded Immigration officials during the bureau’s 72nd anniversary for sleeping on the job.

 

 

http://manilastandardtoday.com/2013/07/17/immigration-chief-quits-over-events/

Link to post
Share on other sites
jessdaddy

Immigration chief fired after latest escape by foreigner

 

MANILA, Philippines—He had it coming.

 

A Malacañang official on Tuesday told the

Inquirer that Immigration Commissioner Ricardo David Jr. was shown the

door by the President after yet another foreign national facing charges

managed to slip out of the country.

 

On July 8, Canadian Susan Rigby flew out of the Philippines despite a “lookout bulletin” issued by the Department of Justice.

That was the “trigger,” said the official,

 

and four days later David tendered his resignation. The official asked

not to be named for lack of authority to speak on the matter.

 

At a Cabinet meeting last week, a peeved De Lima reportedly informed Aquino about David’s latest infraction.

The President was reported to have said: “I’m willing to replace him.”

 

“It was an accumulation of mistakes” on the part of David, said the Palace official.

In September 2012, the Cebu Daily News

reported that immigration officials were on the lookout for a Canadian

teacher of Cebu International School (CIS) in connection with the Sept.

12 drowning of two students during a field trip to Bataan.

Rigby has a pending criminal complaint in

the DOJ in connection with the incident, being one of the teachers who

accompanied the 42 CIS students on the field trip.

For his part, David admitted his assignment

to cleanse the Bureau of Immigration of corrupt and inefficient

personnel had been a very challenging and difficult one.

 

He said that as head of the agency for over two years he took responsibility for the lapses.

“I thank the President for giving me the

opportunity to serve the bureau,” he said in a statement on Tuesday,

hours after Malacañang announced it had accepted his resignation

contained in a letter dated July 12.

 

Last year, during the bureau’s 72nd

anniversary celebration, David and his subordinates received a dressing

down from Aquino for the disappearance of South Korean Kim Tae Dong and

the escape of the Reyes brothers who were wanted in connection with the

January 2011 killing of environmentalist Gerry Ortega.

 

Kim, whose extradition had been sought by

South Korea for an $8-million embezzlement case, escaped while under

guard by immigration agents from St. Luke’s Medical Center two years

ago.

 

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/80839/immigration-chief-fired-after-latest-escape-by-foreigner

Link to post
Share on other sites
hyaku

I'm surprised about how many people here are dissing this guy and suggesting he's corrupt. In my opinion, he's radically transformed the Bureau of Immigration into one of the best run and least corrupt institutions I've ever dealt with here. Most people should applaud the changes he's brought about which have made foreign visitors lives much less stress-free. Sure there were still a few bad apples (Atty Abellon immediately springs to mind) but overall, I think he's done an amazing job given the difficult circumstances he inherited. I think it's a real shame that he felt he had to resign because of these greedy idiots who just couldn't keep their snouts out of the trough. I'm wondering if, maybe some of the ones he's tried to get rid of have connections that meant he couldn't take action against them? 

Diss the guy? He's asking me for police clearance from country of origin when his own officers are offering to fix my visa! I saw the atty dipping his hand into very large envelope given to him by an officer to put cash in his wallet. I thought the cashier was downstairs?

Link to post
Share on other sites

He did a lot to eliminate corruption and streamline/modernize BOI.    Sorry to see him go.     Hate to think of what can happen in the future.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
johnboy999

He did a lot to eliminate corruption and streamline/modernize BOI.    Sorry to see him go.     Hate to think of what can happen in the future.

 

That's the point I was trying to make - he came into that Bureau after decades of rampant fixing and corruption and was making huge changes and improvements. But it's going to take time to totally eliminate all that. And just suppose he's stuck with incompetent and corrupt staff who he can't touch because of their "connections"? It's going to make a tough job even tougher. Sure, the Bureau has made some high profile errors and as the Head, ultimately he's responsible. But would anyone else have been able to stop those errors and bring about all the good changes he made? I'm not so sure.......

 

I really hope the new guy is cut from the same mould as Ricardo David as I've got a lot of respect for what he tried to achieve

Link to post
Share on other sites
hyaku

Well as he said he was up to budget. But it would certainly help my wife and family had benefited from all the money I have paid immigration. As I said before Japan visas are cheaper.

Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyMan

Diss the guy? He's asking me for police clearance from country of origin when his own officers are offering to fix my visa! I saw the atty dipping his hand into very large envelope given to him by an officer to put cash in his wallet. I thought the cashier was downstairs?

Johnboy was tlking about David not Abellon.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
johnboy999

Here's another example of the crooks he was ridding from the Bureau.... 

 

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2009&Itemid=78

 

CSC AFFIRMS DISMISSAL OF BI LAWYER 01 July 2013

The Civil Service Commission (CSC) has affirmed the dismissal of a Bureau of Immigration (BI) lawyer who was arrested for allegedly extorting P100,000.00 from an Indian national.

Based on the CSC ruling, BI Commissioner Ricardo A. David, Jr. implemented his May 25, 2012 decision dismissing from the service Ramoncito Tolentino, Attorney III, and finding him guilty of grave misconduct and conduct prejudicial to the best interest of the service.

David also forfeited Tolentino’s retirement benefits, banned him from reemployment in the government, aside from canceling his civil service eligibility.

The dismissal order was later affirmed by Justice Secretary Leila M. de Lima on June 27 last year.

In its March 14, 2013 decision, the CSC affirmed the decision of both David and De Lima as the commission dismissed an appeal filed by Tolentino.

“By extorting money in exchange for a favorable result, appellant has transgressed the rule of law and has demonstrated corruption.” the CSC stated in a nine-page decision, adding that the lawyer tainted the BI’s integrity and his reputation as a public servant.

Records showed Tolentino was arrested in his office on October 27, 2011 in an entrapment operation by National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) agents.

He was arrested upon complaint of Prem Dass, an Indian national, from whom the lawyer allegedly demanded P 200,000.00 in return for favorable decision on his pending petition to cancel his visa.

Dass then went to the NBI and Tolentino was arrested later in the day after the Indian alleged gave him P 100,000.00, including four P 1,000.00 bills as marked money.

After the incident, David formed a three-man investigating panel that filed administrative charges against Tolentino and, after holding several hearings on the case, recommended his ouster from the service.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
johnboy999

And another ....

 

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1990&Itemid=78

 

DAVID VOWS TO PURGE NAIA OF CORRUPT BI MEN
APRIL 12, 2013
 
            Bureau of Immigration (BI) Commissioner Ricardo David Jr. vowed to purge the airport of corrupt immigration personnel as he relieved another BI employee at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) for allegedly allowing the entry of a blacklisted foreigner.
 
            David said he recalled Alden Yap Bait to the main office upon learning that the latter aided Taiwanese Wu Chun Yung in entering the country despite his being in the bureau’s blacklist.
 
            “There will be no letup in our efforts to remove the bad eggs in our our ranks,” the BI chief declared, adding that administrative and criminal charges will be filed against Bait if investigation finds him liable for the entry of the Taiwanese.
 
             CCTV cameras at the airport allegedly caught footages of the Taiwanese being escorted by Bait upon his arrival at the NAIA last April 7. 
            Bait allegedly also motioned to the passenger to breeze through an unmanned immigration counter which enabled him to evade inspection.
 
            But the scheme did not work as the alien was spotted by alert immigration agents at the airport who immediately accosted him before he could reach the airport’s customs area.
 
            David said he already directed Bait to explain in 72 hours why he should not be administratively charged and dismissed from the service in connection with the incident.
 
            He added that Bait will be placed under preventive suspension pending investigation of his case by the bureau’s board of discipline.
 
            David also revealed that customs personnel were also seen on TV assisting Wu upon his arrival and that their identities are still being determined.
 
            It was learned that Wu was blacklisted last March 13 after he was turned away by immigration officers at the Clark International Airport for being profiled as a public charge.
 
            He first attempted to re-enter the country with a different passport last March 29 but was intercepted and turned back at the NAIA 3 terminal.
 
            When interviewed after his arrest, the Taiwanese said he paid an undisclosed amount of money to a friend in Taiwan who claimed he could arrange his return to Manila without being detected by immigration authorities.
Edited by johnboy999
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..

Capture.JPG

I Understand...