campaign.”

“As head of the BI, I take responsibility for these
incidents that involved people who continued to resist the reforms that
we labored to institute image transformation of this Bureau,” he said
without elaborating.

In Malacañang, deputy presidential
spokesperson Abigail Valte said Aquino has accepted David's resignation
as stated in the letter dated July 12.

Valte said she has no information on David's replacement at the moment.

Accomplishments

In
his letter, David, who was military chief of staff from June 2010 to
March 2011, boasted of his accomplishments in the bureau.

“We
surpassed all our revenue targets, major final outputs and performance
indicators during my term,” he said. We were also able to boost our
revenues to record high levels as a result of our efforts to ensure that
all fees due the government are collected and remitted to the national
coffers.”

David also said that he was able to institute reforms in the bureau.

“Foremost
of these reforms are our initiatives to discipline our rank and file,
cut red tape, modernize our facilities, and implement an efficient
travel control system in our ports of entry for the convenience of
international travelers,” he said.

David said he hopes that his
successor “will continue what we have started and to remain focused on
the path of the President's 'tuwid na daan'.”

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/317658/news/nation/immigration-chief-ricardo-david-resigns

jessdaddy

yeah that guy is pretty scary.

A_Simple_Man

His ideals were lofty.

Anyway.  Is this likely to have an effect on the 6 month visa he just made available in Manila?  Wonder what his successor will have to say about that.

Paul

Damn. I have to admit, I didn't see this coming. 

• Like 1
Wolfpack

His ideals were lofty.

Anyway.  Is this likely to have an effect on the 6 month visa he just made available in Manila?  Wonder what his successor will have to say about that.

I am sure his successor with be doing a whole lot of house cleaning...

• Like 1

They should just outsource everything to Singapore.  Every piece of paper is sent back to Singapore for processing.  Money too.  Yes, you wouldn't get your visa in less than a day, but things would work properly, faster in some cases, and probably no more expensive.

SkyMan

They should just outsource everything to Singapore.  Every piece of paper is sent back to Singapore for processing.  Money too.  Yes, you wouldn't get your visa in less than a day, but things would work properly, faster in some cases, and probably no more expensive.

Not that it would ever happen but how do you figure that?

The RP outsourcing?  Never going to happen.

Progress...

I am sure his successor with be doing a whole lot of house cleaning...

You're thinking the new guy will be less corrupt than the old guy?  On what do you base this?

Wolfpack

Not that it would ever happen but how do you figure that?

The RP outsourcing?  Never going to happen.

You're thinking the new guy will be less corrupt than the old guy?  On what do you base this?

The 6 month visa is already operational in Manila...this new system in itself...eliminates a lot of corruption...

I do not see them taking steps backward...i.e., eliminating the new 6 month visa...

So the new guy...is going to have less opportunity to be corrupt as the old guy...

The 6 month visa is already operational in Manila...this new system in itself...eliminates a lot of corruption...

I do not see them taking steps backward...i.e., eliminating the new 6 month visa...

So the new guy...is going to have less opportunity to be corrupt as the old guy...

Well, the old guy resigned saying that he couldn't fix corruption, implying that he isn't corrupt.  But I'd imagine that very few people will get the 6 month visa, and rather go for the piecemeal approach.  As a guess though, I'd say that getting "normal" visas isn't a major source of corruption.  People asking for favours, people who want problems solved quickly and staff members who see a problem and are prepared to get a handful of pesos to 'fix' things are main source of corruption in the BOI.

As for my outsourcing comment up above, I don't actually expect it to happen.  But would it be less corrupt than the current situation?  Undoubtedly.

Wolfpack

Well, the old guy resigned saying that he couldn't fix corruption, implying that he isn't corrupt.  

or his hand has been caught in the cookie jar...and he was actually forced to step down...but they are letting it look like it is volutary so he can recieve his retirement benefits...

no matter, they have a system in place in Manila...and on its way to Cebu...that has put an end to the ole "Stamp-a-roo"...

there actually IS a process for people with problems...to deal with legally and less costly...when circumstances warrant it...

the days of fixers at the immigration office are over!!!

johnboy999

I'm surprised about how many people here are dissing this guy and suggesting he's corrupt. In my opinion, he's radically transformed the Bureau of Immigration into one of the best run and least corrupt institutions I've ever dealt with here. Most people should applaud the changes he's brought about which have made foreign visitors lives much less stress-free. Sure there were still a few bad apples (Atty Abellon immediately springs to mind) but overall, I think he's done an amazing job given the difficult circumstances he inherited. I think it's a real shame that he felt he had to resign because of these greedy idiots who just couldn't keep their snouts out of the trough. I'm wondering if, maybe some of the ones he's tried to get rid of have connections that meant he couldn't take action against them? 

• Like 4
A_Simple_Man

the days of fixers at the immigration office are over!!!

(Atty Abellon immediately springs to mind)

So if the days of fixers are over, where is Atty Abellon now?

USMC-Retired

I have seen many positive changes on my level at immigration. However this is above that level and the President back in Sept gave immigration a tongue lashing. So this is a political move as much as fixing issues.

• Like 1