Nightmare Passport experience...

ILoveCyrus

So my sister has worked for United Airlines for about 20 yrs.  She flys free anywhere they go and has "buddy passes" for family and friends.  In March this year, my two sisters flew out to Hawaii with final destinations to Philippines.  The "airline" sister WAS NOT permitted to connect further to Manila cuz her Passport only had 3 months remaining before expiration. 

What a dumb dumb....!!!  Unbelievable, but true. You'd think she would have a clue due to working for the Airlines for 20 yrs.  My other sister's passport was fine.

Needless to say, they cancelled the trip and came back to LAX with luggage in tow.  They will try this venture again next Spring. 

To that, I say: Good Luck

SkyMan

It is kind of a stupid rule as a US passport can be renewed in a fairly short time in Manila.  A few weeks I think, so why is 6 months necessary.  Ahhh, but that is the rule.  Don't know how other countries look at that.  Maybe 6 months is just the standard amount.

Alan S

6 months remaining applies to UK passports, so I think it may be a universal rule.

SkyMan

6 months remaining applies to UK passports, so I think it may be a universal rule.

Well yes, that's the RP rule for all other countries but what I meant was maybe that rule is standard for all or most other countries entry requirements.

ILoveCyrus

The thing is, someone at LAX should have told her about the passport situation BEFORE they boarded for Hawaii.

"Oh well", they both said.  At least they got to stay one night in Hawaii.

• Like 1
SkyMan

The thing is, someone at LAX should have told her about the passport situation BEFORE they boarded for Hawaii.

"Oh well", they both said.  At least they got to stay one night in Hawaii.

Well, technically, LAX to Hawaii isn't an international flight so they wouldn't care about her passport at all.

miles-high

My ex and I were flying all the way from Detroit to Bali, Indonesia… At Narita, they told us her passport had less than 6 months validity and the Indonesia immigration would not allow her to enter the country…

The airline said “it’s up to you to try and see” hehe ;)

So, we decided to stay in Tokyo for a week… Apparently Japan does not care as long as the passport is valid… :) I don't see the logic of the "6 months rule" but many countries do require your passport validity longer than 6 months...

ed villas

it depends on the Immigration officers attitude and of course YOURS...  if they will allow you to enter

if its 5months and it shows that you been traveling outside home country, most NOT all will allow.

when the time TICKS down , you are more likely to be refused,

.............................................................................................................................

1member of the forum , had only 2 weeks left in his passport when He arrived in the Philiipines,

YES 2 weeks. they allowed him as it showed he was leaving in 10days and that he had already processed his new

passport but it was not yet ready to be picked up,,

It did help that his partner who was due to give birth was standing outside

so that the kind,courteous BI(not boi) officer allowed him to enter,

and the BI (not boi)id not ask for a gift instead gave him one,

some leftover toy that was in the lost in found to be given to his newborn, 

johnormoc

I had a bit of trouble once flying from Incheon to Cebu. My passport expired 6 months later and the lady working at the Cebu Pacific counter told me they'd have to check with Philippines Immigration to see if I'd be allowed to enter the Phils. She would not even give me a boarding pass until she confirmed. My trip was for only 13 days so I would have left the Phils with my passport still valid for another 5 1/2 months. This was the first I'd ever heard of this silly rule. Anyway the lady sends them a message from her computer terminal and tells me to wait a few minutes. Thankfully a bit later she said I could travel on the flight.

Honestly...this might be one of the stupidest rules ever! Can anyone explain the logic of not being able to travel on a passport that's still valid for half a year? Especially when your round trip tickets clearly show you'll complete your travels with the passport being still valid.

Davaoeno

Especially when your round trip tickets clearly show you'll complete your travels with the passport being still valid.

Because you can not guarantee the airline that you will actually use the return ticket can you ?? Why should the airline take the risk of you not leaving when you say that you will ???

People change their flight dates all the tiime. People let tickets expire all the time.  

hchoate

There are other rules too, such as if you've been to certain countries, you need various injections.  You can read some of the rules here:

http://www.skyteam.com/en/your-trip/Services/Visa-and-Health/

This implies a balikbayan exemption- as in so many things.

vi_de.gif

Philippines (PH)

in_on_no.gif

Passport required.

- Passports and/or passport replacing documents must be valid

for at least 6 months from date of arrival.

- Former nationals of the Philippines, their immediate family

members and immediate family members of nationals of the

Philippines must hold passports valid on arrival.

http://www.timaticweb.com/cgi-bin/tim_website_client.cgi?SpecData=1&VISA=&HEALTH=&page=both&DE=PH&NA=US&AR=00&VT=US&EM=US&PASSTYPES=PASS&user=SKYWEB&subuser=SKYWEB1

johnormoc

Because you can not guarantee the airline that you will actually use the return ticket can you ?? Why should the airline take the risk of you not leaving when you say that you will ???

People change their flight dates all the tiime. People let tickets expire all the time.  

True. But isn't SIX MONTHS a bit excessive? It's not like it was going to expire a few days before I was due to leave. Do people that go on 2 week holiday really change their flight and stay for six extra months all that often? My point is, the 6 month rule is fecking stupid.

Hi

This means that in fact the validity of our passports are only 4,5 years if we are going to travel. Before it was 9,5 years.

Hear this. Im a Swedish, Sweden citizen living as an expat in the Philippines. When im going to reniev my passport it cant be done in the Philippines. It has to be done in Bangkok Thailand because there is no Swedish embassy in the Philippines anymore. It means I have to travel from my city to Cebu, then another flight to Bangkok, then stay in a hotel for 1 week waiting for my passport to be ready.

I have a daughter 7 years old, also a Swedish citizen. she has never been out of the Philippines. To her, they can issue a 1 trip temporary passport to travel to Bangkok. EXPENSIVE.

goldote

Agents I've used check that when they sell you the ticket.

Russia will deport you if you arrive a day earlier than the date on your visa.

Force you to stay overnight in Germany.