Sign in to follow this  
justplainlost

Hotel with good Internet Access

justplainlost

I'm making my first trip to Cebu in May and have reservations at one hotel, but need to switch to another hotel with good, secure internet access from the room (since it looks like I'll have to work at least 50 hrs in my 2 wk trip).

Here are the important features:

1) hotel that is reasonably priced (good value for the $), clean and safe

2) secure internet access from the room (preferably "wired" as opposed to "wireless" but a good, secure wireless may suffice).

3) safe place to store (lock up) a small laptop (I'll use locked suitcase in a pinch I guess).

4) safe area either in Cebu City or Macatan (if Macatan, I'll probably do a week there and one week in Cebu City for convenience).

5) Prefer to be closer to larger shopping areas (like Ayala Mall, Robinsons Mall, etc.). I do not plan on frequenting the "bar" scene.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks!

Brian

JoMads
I'm making my first trip to Cebu in May and have reservations at one hotel, but need to switch to another hotel with good, secure internet access from the room (since it looks like I'll have to work at least 50 hrs in my 2 wk trip).

Here are the important features:

1) hotel that is reasonably priced (good value for the $), clean and safe

2) secure internet access from the room (preferably "wired" as opposed to "wireless" but a good, secure wireless may suffice).

3) safe place to store (lock up) a small laptop (I'll use locked suitcase in a pinch I guess).

4) safe area either in Cebu City or Macatan (if Macatan, I'll probably do a week there and one week in Cebu City for convenience).

5) Prefer to be closer to larger shopping areas (like Ayala Mall, Robinsons Mall, etc.). I do not plan on frequenting the "bar" scene.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks!

Brian

Where ever you stay, Avoid casa rosario. $300 was stolen from their safety deposit box I was using and they claimed no responsibility.

Try Apple Tree Suites. I know Paul recommends it. It's in the Mango Square area.

jm

Paul

Apple Tree only has internet access in the lobby on at the rooftop restaurant though.

Tatoosh

Darn, I think that is going to be hard to find at a reasonable price. Particularly on a two week trip. Good luck. I guess drop some pennies for internet access and spend your work time at Starbucks, maybe. Check out PacSafe products for keeping stuff safe including a laptop. I am going to buy one of their backpacks. I already have a small shoulder bag/pouch for carrying stuff when traveling. It is slash resistant and the pockets are arranged so that you can make them hard to access, which will deter pickpockets.

I am getting the backpack for my Very SO's brother, who is attending college. He will be living in a bedspacer and will have a small cheap laptop. Storage will be a problem possibly. So a slash resistant bag is a handy device. Also something you can store stuff in and lock to bedpost or whatever is worth consideration, depending on where and what you plan to do while here.

Bob Ward

Wired, I have not heard of any here. "Good secure wireless" is basically an oxymoron. Your PC must have a good AV/Spyware suite with firewall that is updated regularly when on any network while in the Phils. Unless you like rebuilding PCs? LOL

NS Royal Pension House (reasonable) and D&L Apartelle (cheaper) are two that meet those specs I believe.

justplainlost

Wired, I have not heard of any here. "Good secure wireless" is basically an oxymoron. Your PC must have a good AV/Spyware suite with firewall that is updated regularly when on any network while in the Phils. Unless you like rebuilding PCs? LOL

NS Royal Pension House (reasonable) and D&L Apartelle (cheaper) are two that meet those specs I believe.

Thanks guys,

Based on the following, Marriott has wired internet in the room (so that is my fall back):

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/cebp...marriott-hotel/

However, Marriott is $85 per night and is 60% more for their most basic room than the top room (Suite) at Mango Park (2100 Pesos...around $52.50).

I am also considering a couple Paul recommended which are better priced than even Mango. I will likely do two hotels (like the Marriott for the first week...when I expect to be working the most) and another for the second week (where wired access won't be as important).

At this point, I'm considering changing my flight (shortening the trip by a week...or just coming out later in the year).

Thanks again!

Actually...i have built a few PC's and will create a disk image of the operating system partition on my soon to be purchased new laptop before my departure so I can restore it if needed while in Cebu or when I get home (the disk imaging software is Acronis True Image v10 which works great...unlike Norton Ghost or Drive Image which never worked properly for me). I'll have a software firewall (likely Zone Alarm), antivirus (Norton or AVG) and Ad Aware (for spyware/adware). I haven't had a need to use wireless so I'm not up to speed on the "security" issues there but generally have only used a wired connection when connecting to bank, broker or credit card accounts.

JoMads
Apple Tree only has internet access in the lobby on at the rooftop restaurant though.

Near Apple Tree Suites is EAST/WEST Coffee shop. They used to have FREE Internet Access. Just buy a coffee.

Calum

Try Parklane Hotel in Escario st near Ayala center. for Parklane room PHP3,600/night booked thru asiatravel just google them.

Direct to their website cost you $135++/night

Edited by Calum

Bob Ward

Thanks guys,

Based on the following, Marriott has wired internet in the room (so that is my fall back):

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/cebp...marriott-hotel/

However, Marriott is $85 per night and is 60% more for their most basic room than the top room (Suite) at Mango Park (2100 Pesos...around $52.50).

I am also considering a couple Paul recommended which are better priced than even Mango. I will likely do two hotels (like the Marriott for the first week...when I expect to be working the most) and another for the second week (where wired access won't be as important).

At this point, I'm considering changing my flight (shortening the trip by a week...or just coming out later in the year).

Thanks again!

Actually...i have built a few PC's and will create a disk image of the operating system partition on my soon to be purchased new laptop before my departure so I can restore it if needed while in Cebu or when I get home (the disk imaging software is Acronis True Image v10 which works great...unlike Norton Ghost or Drive Image which never worked properly for me). I'll have a software firewall (likely Zone Alarm), antivirus (Norton or AVG) and Ad Aware (for spyware/adware). I haven't had a need to use wireless so I'm not up to speed on the "security" issues there but generally have only used a wired connection when connecting to bank, broker or credit card accounts.

I am just curious. What do you expect to gain from wired internet versus wireless?

justplainlost

Bob,

I figured wired would be most important for connecting to bank, broker and credit card accounts. Also, I may hook up a phone to the computer using packet8 or skype (so people can reach me calling a U.S. number during the first week). I don't know if I'll need to actively manage my portfolio but week one is during May options expiration so I will likely need to log into my brokerage accounts several times during that week.

Thanks again to everyone for you help.

Paul

Although Joe is against Casa Rosario, due to losing money there, they do offer wired internet in the rooms, not wireless.

Perhaps, he is concerned about the security of wireless, maybe if the network is completely open for anyone to log on to it?

Most places that offer wireless will have security enabled through the router. So, you will have to enter a series (either 10 or 26 for WEP 64 bit / 128bit encryption) of alphanumeric characters to gain access. In that case, I wouldn't be too concerned about access. I would think you should be more concerned about using your own laptop with a reliable firewall and protection from viruses and spyware.

Either way, justplainlost, you will probably not go wrong going to any of the places listed. Personally, I would stay away from the higher end hotels, simply because of the money you waste when the main thing you use the room for, is sleeping. I am not a thrifty person, by any means. My opinion is, it is just wasting money that could be spent on a taking a Filipina out to nice places to eat or shop, to spend it at a higher end hotel.

My 2 cents,

Lee

Just an update, Casa Rosario is now p1200 for their least expensive available room. My wife called yesterday for someone and that is the price she got for them, so it was not the kano price because I did not call. ;):lol::as-if:

justplainlost

Good point about Casa Rosario...that was one that I was going to call to get more info on (already had everything printed out). I just sent them on online "reservation inquiry." We'll see what is available for the days I'm there.

At 1200 php it is extremely inexpensive.

Paul

You should check to make sure they aren't charging you for internet (php 100, in addition to the room charge, per night). Of course, I believe they recently had a rate increase too, which may (or may not) be reflected on their website yet. http://www.casarosario.net (I believe that is the link.)

If you think Php 1,200 is cheap, check out my thread on Sampaquita Suites, located near to Robinson's, Fuente:

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/inde...?showtopic=6140

Lee

There are a lot of pension houses here in Cebu and we have stayed at some recently that I believe would be less expensive and better located than others.

One is Shamrock right on the circle that we stayed at a few years ago and it was safe and clean,

The next was Elegant Circle right on the circle and it was also safe and clean and we stayed there and so did a few friends, for a few days last year while we were having some construction upgrades done on our condo.

A friend and forum member Ologist stayed at NS Royal Pension about a month or so ago and said it was reasonable and clean and it is right around the corner from Robinsons also and close to the circle but on Juana Osmena street which is a well traveled side street and I think is safe since my wife and I walk down that street at night often.

And I am sure there are many more that others can recommend. Here is a list of some of them so you can let your fingers do the dialing if you are so inclined.

http://sinulog.ph/sugbu/where_stay.html

Edited by Mr. Lee

Bob Ward
Bob,

I figured wired would be most important for connecting to bank, broker and credit card accounts. Also, I may hook up a phone to the computer using packet8 or skype (so people can reach me calling a U.S. number during the first week). I don't know if I'll need to actively manage my portfolio but week one is during May options expiration so I will likely need to log into my brokerage accounts several times during that week.

Thanks again to everyone for you help.

That's what I figured and it's a very common concern. The reality is that if your connection is wired or wireless, the security of the data is controlled at the end points. So whether you log on wirelessly, or wired, there is no more vulnerability either way as long as you are on a secure connection, which any financial site will have.

The real danger of a wireless network is the potential access of your PC directly. That's why I said a good security suite with firewall is a must.

The other big misconception is that being on a wired connection will give you more internet bandwidth. As we all know most internet connections here are running from 386K to 4-5M+ at business locations like hotels and such. So if you are on a wireless G (or even B at 11M) connection at 54M (minus overhead traffic) you have more available bandwidth on the network than you do to the internet. You will still not be able to access the internet at any greater speed if you are on a wired 100M connection because of the limitation of the actual internet connection.

Bottom line is that if you use proper PC protection and good internet and networking common sense, you will be ok either way.

JoMads
Although Joe is against Casa Rosario, due to losing money there, they do offer wired internet in the rooms, not wireless.

YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT I'M AGAINST THEM!

YOU GET YOUR MONEY RIPPED OF FROM THEIR "SAFETY DEPOSIT BOX" AND LET ME KNOW HOW YOU FEEL..