Improving internet speed/reliability

I am on Skycable internet and service reliability and speed is really crap.  Depending on time of day internet is almost unusably slow.  Unfortunately I am locked in for 12 months and also I cannot get service with PLDT because their lines coming in to the condo are full.  So I am thinking of getting Smart or Globe prepaid wi-fi internet for times when Skycable broadband (what a joke) is unusable.  But as I am planning to do this I was wondering if internet speed would improve if I use both at the same time.  For example if I plug in cable from Skycable into the computer and use wireless to access wi-fi internet would the computer be able to make use of both internet access points (thus improving speed)?  Any comments would be appreciated.

seaman

Guy60417

So I am thinking of getting Smart or Globe prepaid wi-fi internet for times when Skycable broadband (what a joke) is unusable.

Can't say about Globe, but I have SmartBro and it's horrible. When it connects, I will get usually about 200-300k, but it often will not connect at all. I don't know how bad your current connection is, but I doubt SmartBro would be an improvement.

Putting both together is interesting -- never heard of that before (but could get expensive).

Can't say about Globe, but I have SmartBro and it's horrible. When it connects, I will get usually about 200-300k, but it often will not connect at all. I don't know how bad your current connection is, but I doubt SmartBro would be an improvement.

Putting both together is interesting -- never heard of that before (but could get expensive).

When Skycable is working (like at 2 am), I can get speed of 1.5 mbps.  But during the day and especially in the evening when many people are using internet, I can only wish for 200-300K speed.  I have tried doing speedtests in the evenings and on average out of 3 speed tests about two would time out (or show something ridiculous like 50K) and one would vary widely around 200-600K.  So totally unreliable and very frustrating.

Multihoming, per trax suggestinon, maybe the answer but I don't know.  I read the article but I did not understand any of it.  I am hoping a BM who has actually tried what I indicated in the OP can reply or indicate why it can't be done.

seaman

hchoate

Multihoming per se is for when one a connection FAILS not just slows down.

You would need additional software to do what you describe.

A quick search for

multiple internet connections to increase speed

finds

http://technokarak.com/how-to-combine-multiple-internet-connections-for-faster-speed-and-increased-reliability.html

I am sure there must be others.

Knowdafish

I am on Skycable internet and service reliability and speed is really crap.  Depending on time of day internet is almost unusably slow.  Unfortunately I am locked in for 12 months and also I cannot get service with PLDT because their lines coming in to the condo are full.  So I am thinking of getting Smart or Globe prepaid wi-fi internet for times when Skycable broadband (what a joke) is unusable.  But as I am planning to do this I was wondering if internet speed would improve if I use both at the same time.  For example if I plug in cable from Skycable into the computer and use wireless to access wi-fi internet would the computer be able to make use of both internet access points (thus improving speed)?  Any comments would be appreciated.

seaman

What package are you paying for with Skycable? Going by what you are stating it seems as though their system may be overloaded in your area? I used Sky when I lived in Bacong here on Negros and it was just the opposite of what you are experiencing. It was extremely fast and very consistent for the Philippines, but.....I also had one of their more expensive packages along with the included cable T.V. 

Almost 2 years later, and I am now living in Dumaguete, and I do not have the need (or the wallet!) for internet with great speed, and use Smart Bro which is throttled. Which means they limit how much info you can download. I do not have Smart Bro with a contract, and think this is best. When it throttles back to almost nothing (1-2 times a night) I just unplug it and plug it back in which resets it (different port at Smart Bro?) and the speed picks back up again. I have found that internet is quickest early A.M., and sucks from 7:30-8:30 A.M., weekends except late night, and weekday afternoons from about 3 to 9 P.M. when the kids come home, go online and play games or do their homework "research". No problem as I use the internet mainly while working nights when it works quite well.

I use a free program called Bit Meter which allows me to constantly watch my up and download speed and quickly decide if it is slow if the problem is my computer, smart Bro, or a particular website I am on. This helps relieve frustration, as I can at least try to find a remedy or temporarily do something else instead of just waiting. 

Smart Bro in your area is likely maxed out, and/or it is being throttled (see above).

Putting "both together" is called load sharing. It is not hard to do, but you need a load sharing device which is similar to a router. Some internet cafes use one, as do internet users that need great reliability or consistent speed. They are available in the Philippines and cost as much or more than a good multi-port router.

When Skycable is working (like at 2 am), I can get speed of 1.5 mbps.  But during the day and especially in the evening when many people are using internet, I can only wish for 200-300K speed.  I have tried doing speedtests in the evenings and on average out of 3 speed tests about two would time out (or show something ridiculous like 50K) and one would vary widely around 200-600K.  So totally unreliable and very frustrating.

Multihoming, per trax suggestinon, maybe the answer but I don't know.  I read the article but I did not understand any of it.  I am hoping a BM who has actually tried what I indicated in the OP can reply or indicate why it can't be done.

seaman

See what I posted above regarding load sharing

Multihoming per se is for when one a connection FAILS not just slows down.

You would need additional software to do what you describe.

A quick search for

multiple internet connections to increase speed

finds

http://technokarak.com/how-to-combine-multiple-internet-connections-for-faster-speed-and-increased-reliability.html

I am sure there must be others.

Load sharing will help when it slows down too. See above. 

hchoate

What package are you paying for with Skycable? Going by what you are stating it seems as though their system may be overloaded in your area? I used Sky when I lived in Bacong here on Negros and it was just the opposite of what you are experiencing. It was extremely fast and very consistent for the Philippines, but.....I also had one of their more expensive packages along with the included cable T.V. 

Almost 2 years later, and I am now living in Dumaguete, and I do not have the need (or the wallet!) for internet with great speed, and use Smart Bro which is throttled. Which means they limit how much info you can download. I do not have Smart Bro with a contract, and think this is best. When it throttles back to almost nothing (1-2 times a night) I just unplug it and plug it back in which resets it (different port at Smart Bro?) and the speed picks back up again. I have found that internet is quickest early A.M., and sucks from 7:30-8:30 A.M., weekends except late night, and weekday afternoons from about 3 to 9 P.M. when the kids come home, go online and play games or do their homework "research". No problem as I use the internet mainly while working nights when it works quite well.

I use a free program called Bit Meter which allows me to constantly watch my up and download speed and quickly decide if it is slow if the problem is my computer, smart Bro, or a particular website I am on. This helps relieve frustration, as I can at least try to find a remedy or temporarily do something else instead of just waiting. 

Smart Bro in your area is likely maxed out, and/or it is being throttled (see above).

Putting "both together" is called load sharing. It is not hard to do, but you need a load sharing device which is similar to a router. Some internet cafes use one, as do internet users that need great reliability or consistent speed. They are available in the Philippines and cost as much or more than a good multi-port router.

See what I posted above regarding load sharing

Load sharing will help when it slows down too. See above. 

Cool. Dedicated hardware always better than software.

Out of curiosity I downloaded and installed BitMeter.  The numbers showing for DL and UL are in kbps second I believe.  And as I suspected Skycable is total crap as the numbers barely go up above 100 for DL. 

Can you describe exactly what you do to decide what I highlighted in red?

seaman

Knowdafish

Out of curiosity I downloaded and installed BitMeter.  The numbers showing for DL and UL are in kbps second I believe.  And as I suspected Skycable is total crap as the numbers barely go up above 100 for DL. 

Can you describe exactly what you do to decide what I highlighted in red?

seaman

Basically I compare websites. I usually have quite a few windows open and can compare page load speeds etc from website to website. Some are much faster at loading compared to others, but through past experience I have a feel for the ones I spend a lot of time on. Also, if it seems no matter what I am doing it is extremely slow I check how warm my laptop is. It is sitting on a cooler pad, and under a ceiling fan (with me attached  :lol:), but the cooler pad's USB wire has an intermittent open circuit and sometimes quits running. When the computer gets too warm it slows down. If, all websites are slow, the Bit Meter UL & DL speeds are slower than normal, and the computer is not running too warm, then I know it is a Smart Bro problem. I then stop any windows, programs etc from loading; unplug the Smart Bro; and plug it back in after a few seconds and allow it to reboot itself. Usually the speed picks back up as I am starting a new "session" with Smart Bro and any "throttling" won't come into play until much later. 

I spend 40-60 hours a week on the computer and have learned all this by being observant and trying to figure out a course of action when things get slow, especially when things get reeeaallly s-l-o-w.  :lol: It seems to work for me.

• 2 weeks later...

So I am thinking of getting Smart or Globe prepaid wi-fi internet for times when Skycable broadband (what a joke) is unusable

I've used the Globe basic for a year now...generally no  problems except on weekends when it slows way down AND THE PAST WEEK WHEN I've had NO SERVICE!!  

Globe Customer Service is truly a joke...the only way you can log an issue is to call using a Globe land line or Globe card otherwise it's a pay call to Manila...I went into the office and they tell me there are no problems in my area, but then when I call them, they say a MAJOR network issue in my area....BS, lies, stupid people!!

I'm hoping to move soon and have heard PLDT is good, but I imagine all internet providers here are substandard...

• Like 1
Wolfpack

I've used the Globe basic for a year now...generally no  problems except on weekends when it slows way down AND THE PAST WEEK WHEN I've had NO SERVICE!!  

Globe Customer Service is truly a joke...the only way you can log an issue is to call using a Globe land line or Globe card otherwise it's a pay call to Manila...I went into the office and they tell me there are no problems in my area, but then when I call them, they say a MAJOR network issue in my area....BS, lies, stupid people!!

I'm hoping to move soon and have heard PLDT is good, but I imagine all internet providers here are substandard...

Smart has been great...we had one problem in 3 years plus...and when we had the one problem, they came out to the house and replaced everything...at no charge...

miles-high

For example if I plug in cable from Skycable into the computer and use wireless to access wi-fi internet would the computer be able to make use of both internet access points (thus improving speed)?

If you are using the Windows 7 or 8 and only 1 computer with a newer type Intel desktop mother board (2 LAN's and WiFi, I am sure other mfgs make similar MB but I don't know), it is very simple...

Otherwise, you could add USB LAN to a Win7 or 8 computer to do the same...

Or better yet, buy a load balancing router... some router can take 2, 3, 4 , 5 Internet input...

Sun, Smart, Globe are all PLDT subs and depending on the location share antenna so the throughput is very much dependent on your location...

If you really need the fastest, Globe 150 Mbps is probably the fastest... PHP24,999 per month is comparably priced on many fiber optics connections in Korea, Taiwan and Japan...

miles-high

PHP24,999 per month is comparably priced on many fiber optics connections in Korea, Taiwan and Japan...

Sorry I made an error in using the exchange rate converter... PHP24,999 is about 7 to 10 times higher the monthly fee of the comparable Internet connections in Korea, Taiwan and Japan. It clearly shows the problem of living in a oligopolistic/monopolistic state of the Internet market here in the Philippines... Those who control the market make tons of money and I guess that's what they want... :)

ILoveCyrus

I used Globe Tattoo, kinda like Smartbro..........it worked pretty good for the few months I had it.

Knowdafish

Or better yet, buy a load balancing router... some router can take 2, 3, 4 , 5 Internet input...

The best option for speed and reliability.