Sign in to follow this  
Knowdafish

Where to Find Sheets of Acrylic Plastic?

Knowdafish

No! Not bed sheets!  :notallthere:

I need acrylic sheeting like plexiglass, in 1 or 2 mm thickness, along with nichrome wire and acrylic glue.

Similar to what is shown in this video

I have some projects I want to make. 

Any info along these lines would be appreciated! Thanks! 

Bill H

Does it have to be acrylic?  I know where you can get fiberglassing supplies and laminating epoxy if that would work for you.

Knowdafish

Does it have to be acrylic?  I know where you can get fiberglassing supplies and laminating epoxy if that would work for you.

Thanks. I have access to that stuff too, but I prefer to go the acrylic route if at all possible. It should be a lot cheaper and quicker to make what I am thinking of out of acrylic, compared to fiberglass.

mabutiman

Look for your local branch of COMGLASCO ...they have stores all over Manila ...should have a branch there ....

• Like 1

Knowdafish

Look for your local branch of COMGLASCO ...they have stores all over Manila ...should have a branch there ....

Thanks you! Yes, they have two locations in greater Cebu, and one in Bacolod. Their website shows that they sell (stock?) acrylic sheeting. 

JasonEcos

I'm not sure if its nichrome or not but if you just need short lengths to build a heating element to do simple bends in acrylic you can try heating elements from plastic sealers. We have one and its been through a few thousands heating cycles and still works fine. Cost like p100, and we got it in the hardware section of Metro Mandaue. Length is 12".

If you need to do more complex bends a heat gun or oven works fine...you just have to watch the temps.

• Like 2

Knowdafish

I'm not sure if its nichrome or not but if you just need short lengths to build a heating element to do simple bends in acrylic you can try heating elements from plastic sealers. We have one and its been through a few thousands heating cycles and still works fine. Cost like p100, and we got it in the hardware section of Metro Mandaue. Length is 12".

If you need to do more complex bends a heat gun or oven works fine...you just have to watch the temps.

Thanks! Do you use any kind of rheostat, or resistor to control it's heat output? 

thebob

It is much neater to use a hairdryer or curling tongs to bend acrylic.

In the video he would have had better results if he had used the torch to heat a steel bar or pipe, and bent the acrylic over that.

Knowdafish

It is much neater to use a hairdryer or curling tongs to bend acrylic.

In the video he would have had better results if he had used the torch to heat a steel bar or pipe, and bent the acrylic over that.

Hair dryers and heat guns are too slow for all except very thin acrylic. Torches work great but one has to be carefully to prevent the plastic from getting too hot and bubbling. 

mabutiman

The factory who produces for me in Manila mass produces with bending using an electric wire ..hundreds of products at a time such as c;ear acrylic brochure stands and hotel bathroom accessory stands ... its quick clean and simple ...

• Like 1

JasonEcos

The wires are great for if you just want to do a 90degree bend. You can concentrate the heat at just that point. If you need to bend to something like a rounded shape then you will need to make a heating element thats the size of the entire area. If you're only doing a few hundred pieces then an oven works better.

I didn't watch the video but in the pic it appears he is bending over wood. Keep in mind if you heat the entire area then any defects in the mandrel you are bending over will transfer to the acrylic. I would have made a jig from glass to bend over that way you are assured it is smooth.

In small segments I've heated up to 3/8" thick acrylic with a heat gun....but I recommend no more than 1/4". 1/8" is even better. Just make sure you take your time so you don't bubble the surface. Personally I;ve never had luck with a torch...its just too hot.

As for a rheostat. We are just using the heating elements from a plastic sealer for what they are intended for..sealing plastic. I haven't used one for bending plastic yet (our designs call for using a heat gun/oven). You could modify a plastic sealer pretty easily though. It should work fine for straight bends in short lengths. We picked up ours for like p400 at Unitop. (the p100 was for extra elements we got at Metro Mandaue). I;ve had good luck using a light dimmer switch as a cheap rheostat for low amp projects...I'm not sure if it would work for something like this (electronics is not my forte).

We bend a fair amount of plastic (ABS and Kydex) right now using a heat gun since it needs to conform to a 3D shape. In 1/16" thickness you can heat 1sq foot to 200+ degrees in about 45-60seconds.

• Like 1

Hy H

This reply to OP.

I picked up recently  some acrylic sheeting from  Comglasco on N Bacalso St  in Cebu.

They seem to have quite variety  thicknesses in stock.

Cannot find  receipt but I think  4x6 sheet of 3mm  was  just under 2000 peso.

They did not have any glue available there thou.

Hope this helps if you still looking. I have phone  number if you need to call them

Knowdafish

This reply to OP.

I picked up recently  some acrylic sheeting from  Comglasco on N Bacalso St  in Cebu.

They seem to have quite variety  thicknesses in stock.

Cannot find  receipt but I think  4x6 sheet of 3mm  was  just under 2000 peso.

They did not have any glue available there thou.

Hope this helps if you still looking. I have phone  number if you need to call them

Thanks for the info! I would also be interested to know what they get for 1mm and 2mm.

Anyone know where to find the glue? 

JasonEcos

No idea where to find the glue locally.

If you are just doing a personal project you can make acrylic glue by dissolving acrylic into acetone, then using that as adhesive. I;ve tried it before and it can work quite well but there is definitely some trial and error there.  if you are looking at it from a income generating project then I would keep looking for the commercial glue.

• Like 1

Hy H

Anyone know where to find the glue? 

Depending on glue for you application I guess.

I found clue today for my needs  at      Floreem Sign Depot    R R London st  Cebu City

They also had quite selection of sheets there. 

• Like 1