Simplified Canadian Passport Renewal

Canuck Joe

For all you Hosers out there eh!

Did a search and came up with this locked thread from 2012,

I was on a work mission and just before returning to Philippines i realized i only have 3 months before passport expires. I figured i would just take care of it from Philippines but now i wish i would have just made time for it before leaving Canada. Procrastination always kicks me in the labut. Just found out i would have saved at least 3000php by doing it from Canada.

just wondering how you made out Simple Man.

There is a new 10 year passport available  which is some kind of electronic thing.(tinfoil hat alert)

Simplified Renewal Process  for Canadians abroad...sounds simple right...even in the Philippines????

form PDF download

Edited by Canuck Joe
A_Simple_Man

just wondering how you made out Simple Man.

I used the opportunity for a trip back to Edmonton.  I took my passport (was 5 months from expiring) to a Canadian Government passport office on Jasper avenue, paid the fee and waited 10 days.  Picked up the passport and came back.

When I went for my tourist visa renewal in Mandaue (at 59 days) I showed my non expired Tourist ACR card and they entered my new passport number in the system to say I still had one.  That ACR card expired soon after but to this day (over a year later) no one has asked me to renew it.

The option of renewing my passport at the Manila embassy was just too stressful for me.  I still have no idea why they have to make renewing your passport while away from Canada so darn difficult.  Oh well, I have another 4 years left on this passport and I also heard that the new ones are going to be valid for 10 years.  (Of course all the pages will be filled after 5 years because they are not careful where they stamp the tourist visa here.)

Canuck Joe

I used the opportunity for a trip back to Edmonton.  I took my passport (was 5 months from expiring) to a Canadian Government passport office on Jasper avenue, paid the fee and waited 10 days.  Picked up the passport and came back.

When I went for my tourist visa renewal in Mandaue (at 59 days) I showed my non expired Tourist ACR card and they entered my new passport number in the system to say I still had one.  That ACR card expired soon after but to this day (over a year later) no one has asked me to renew it.

The option of renewing my passport at the Manila embassy was just too stressful for me.  I still have no idea why they have to make renewing your passport while away from Canada so darn difficult.  Oh well, I have another 4 years left on this passport and I also heard that the new ones are going to be valid for 10 years.  (Of course all the pages will be filled after 5 years because they are not careful where they stamp the tourist visa here.)

I really dont want to have to go to Manila either...must be an easier way.

I have friends coming in September, i wonder if i could just fill out the mail in form as if i was in Canada....and have friend bring it out.

Edited by Canuck Joe
LastManStanding

Ya you don't want to do the passport renewal here in Philipppines.  It's a nightmare.  In Canada it take 10 minutes start to finish.  Here in Cebu, you have to provide all sorts of ID that you probably don't have on you.

• Like 1
A_Simple_Man

I have friends coming in September, i wonder if i could just fill out the mail in form as if i was in Canada....and have friend bring it out.

I suggested that in my email to the embassy and they just said you cannot do that.  I suspect they mean you cannot do that legally as it seems like it would be easy enough to do.

• Like 1
Canuck Joe

I suggested that in my email to the embassy and they just said you cannot do that.  I suspect they mean you cannot do that legally as it seems like it would be easy enough to do.

Just got this back from Cebu consulate

If you are in Cebu, please come to the Consulate and apply.  You can download the application form ahead of time and read the instructions.  You can either mail-in your application to the Canadian Embassy in Manila or submit in person at the Canadian Consulate in Cebu.If you decide to come to the Consulate, please email back or call tel#256-3320 for appointment.  The new passport will be back in 3 weeks.

Regards,Robert LeeHonorary Consulate

This sounds too easy, the form in OP has very simple requirements as well...no birth certificate etc which I have misplaced.

Nice to see some efficiency at work here...we shall see.

Canuck Joe

Ya you don't want to do the passport renewal here in Philipppines.  It's a nightmare.  In Canada it take 10 minutes start to finish.  Here in Cebu, you have to provide all sorts of ID that you probably don't have on you.

When did you renew?

The simplified system is supposed to be new 2012.

I have re-newed my canadian Passport 2 times here in the Philippines..Just go to there web site and download form required.  Fill in ,,get ness signatures,(easy) and courier to Manila embassy.. I think mine took 1-2 weeks and it was couriered back to me. I think cost was the same as in Canada....wala prob...Miguel

• Like 1