id love to build a little bahay kubo on rental property 

used to be a builder but never used bamboo before so it will be a first for me 

found this web site shows a lot of how to 

http://myphilippinelife.com/we-build-a-bahay-kubo-bamboo-guest-house/

if any one here has a experience with bamboo house build  please share :)

i like to go mostly with bamboo if possible i know the life span is not that much but that's ok with me this will be just a test :)

also for another project later on im looking for heat resistant bricks but so far didnt se it anywhere around here 

or if i can use stone than what kind of stone for a pizza oven 

thank you 

• Like 1
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• no one

• spritsail

• jojogumabew

• Paul

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My bamboo house and cottages are still in  good nick after 12 years. Points to remember are   Make sure that the builders are using the right type of bamboo , there is hawaiin (thin walls) and the

It wonderful to see more people discovering the yurt design.. we have thoroughly enjoyed ours! There is no need at all to buy a commercial kit, then to have the expense of a several thousand pound s

Some of the best pizza ovens are built using clay in a dome shape. See Traditional Wood Burning Ovens. The ideal height for the oven should be 16 inches. I used firebricks from Bulua just outside Cdo

Posted Images

BossHog

The pizza oven is gonna cost 30 what the house will.

At least.

Like your priorities though.

shadow

id love to build a little bahay kubo on rental property 

used to be a builder but never used bamboo before so it will be a first for me 

found this web site shows a lot of how to 

http://myphilippinelife.com/we-build-a-bahay-kubo-bamboo-guest-house/

if any one here has a experience with bamboo house build  please share :)

i like to go mostly with bamboo if possible i know the life span is not that much but that's ok with me this will be just a test :)

also for another project later on im looking for heat resistant bricks but so far didnt se it anywhere around here 

or if i can use stone than what kind of stone for a pizza oven 

thank you 

Properly treated, maintained, and kept dry, a bamboo house can last 20+ years. In Dumaguete there is "Claytown", where numerous vendors make and sell clay bricks, pots, etc.. There should be similar near you. 

• Like 1
spritsail

My bamboo house and cottages are still in  good nick after 12 years. Points to remember are

Make sure that the builders are using the right type of bamboo , there is hawaiin (thin walls) and the tough building bamboo, Batakan. i have rafters etc of hawaiin and some supports of batakan.

make sure that you get the bamboo cut when there is no moon as it reduces Buko beetle infestation.

Best you immerse the bamboo in salt  water for a period or in a bath of borax.

Use tie wire instead of nails and bolts as bamboo will crack.

Always varnish exposed bamboo and try to avoid exposure to rain and sun etc.

If using armacon, woven bamboo for seperating walls treat with solignum and keep well varnished. Do not allow to be exposed to water etc.

Use a mixture of hardwoods and bamboo - structural bearing supports hardwood etc. Do not use bamboo as main load supports.

make sure that the roof has incline not less than 60 degrees so that get run off of rain water.

Make sure that wind can easily pass through the house to keep it cool and reduce windage.

Make a maintenance schedule, of at least one month every year for varnishing etc.

Check out the government web site Bamboo building - google bamboo philippines.

Check out the web site Bamboo Technologies - Oahu , hawaii.

Good luck and i am sure you will be very happy in a bamboo house despite what others say.

• Like 7
Half Baked

I've seen quite a few pre-made for sale on the side of the SRP from Cebu City to Talisay. I havent stopped to inquire about the price. Pretty nice looking little cottages, judging from the road.

spritsail

Some of the best pizza ovens are built using clay in a dome shape. See Traditional Wood Burning Ovens. The ideal height for the oven should be 16 inches. I used firebricks from Bulua just outside Cdo . a 1'x 3x ,6 brick was about 4 php about 4 years ago and its still good. I have a dutch house style oven which is also used for smoking and roasting goats and large turkeys etc.

• Like 3
Paul

Here is an idea for you, as well. 

A member (not active for some time) called Yurtmaster sent me these images:  Yurt Photo Gallery

Here are a couple from that gallery: 

gallery_1_716_49485.jpg

gallery_1_716_10503.jpg

You may want to consider something like that, as well. Here is the thread concerning living in a yurt.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1
Mandingo

Here is an idea for you, as well. 

A member (not active for some time) called Yurtmaster sent me these images:  Yurt Photo Gallery

Here are a couple from that gallery: 

gallery_1_716_49485.jpg

gallery_1_716_10503.jpg

You may want to consider something like that, as well. Here is the thread concerning living in a yurt.

I think I would be more than content to live in a home like that.

thanks for the info 

very helpful :)

i still have time before the build so the design and all will take some time 

lot of good ideas on the net 

for me only problem is i dont know how strong is bamboo and how far i can take it 

found this [besides some real nice designs ] not that i wil be building that but it is really cool 

http://www.designboom.com/architecture/low-cost-house-for-middle-vietnam/

Some of the best pizza ovens are built using clay in a dome shape. See Traditional Wood Burning Ovens. The ideal height for the oven should be 16 inches. I used firebricks from Bulua just outside Cdo . a 1'x 3x ,6 brick was about 4 php about 4 years ago and its still good. I have a dutch house style oven which is also used for smoking and roasting goats and large turkeys etc.

do you have some pics of yours you could post here ??

thanks i was just talking to my gf that we need to go there and take a look lol 

but now thanks to you i know they have it there :)

My bamboo house and cottages are still in  good nick after 12 years. Points to remember are

Make sure that the builders are using the right type of bamboo , there is hawaiin (thin walls) and the tough building bamboo, Batakan. i have rafters etc of hawaiin and some supports of batakan.

make sure that you get the bamboo cut when there is no moon as it reduces Buko beetle infestation.

Best you immerse the bamboo in salt  water for a period or in a bath of borax.

Use tie wire instead of nails and bolts as bamboo will crack.

Always varnish exposed bamboo and try to avoid exposure to rain and sun etc.

If using armacon, woven bamboo for seperating walls treat with solignum and keep well varnished. Do not allow to be exposed to water etc.

Use a mixture of hardwoods and bamboo - structural bearing supports hardwood etc. Do not use bamboo as main load supports.

make sure that the roof has incline not less than 60 degrees so that get run off of rain water.

Make sure that wind can easily pass through the house to keep it cool and reduce windage.

Make a maintenance schedule, of at least one month every year for varnishing etc.

Check out the government web site Bamboo building - google bamboo philippines.

Check out the web site Bamboo Technologies - Oahu , hawaii.

Good luck and i am sure you will be very happy in a bamboo house despite what others say.

thank you 

you answered lot of my questions 

1 of the web sites you pos tit has some sick designs there :)

also can you post some pics of yours 

like to get idea on the structure of it 

• Like 1

A member (not active for some time) called Yurtmaster sent me these images: Yurt Photo Gallery

I remember that thread---The yurt house is sweeeeeeeeet

You can actually buy yurts premade and they ship them world wide

that is a real waste of all the effort  to go green 

and also im a builder i dont want anything premade  

for me is the i build it my self that makes me feel good 

and also i can change my mind at any time :)

oh ye the transport to where i will be going will cost more than a euro concrete house build there 

Knowdafish

"Yurt-in-a-box"? Wow! They never had that in a Sears Roebuck catalogue, and Walmart hasn't even though about capturing that market yet!  B)

jojogumabew

do you have some pics of yours you could post here ??

thanks i was just talking to my gf that we need to go there and take a look lol 

but now thanks to you i know they have it there :)

I've built a brick oven using fire brick, thermal cement, etc using free online plans (google fornobravo). It's quite massive because of all the insulation. Not so cheap either (but not that expensive either if you diy).

I've also built a clay oven on top of fire brick. The bottom was insulated by recycled glass bottles and sand and the dome was insulated by a mix of clay and dried grass. This was based on a book by Kiko Denzer on clay ovens. We used the clay oven maybe 20x over two years until we sold our house. This costs almost nothing to build (maybe P2k of bricks + 2-3 days of labor). This is the best way to get started with wood fired ovens as you will understand what's important when you build and whether you like it enough to persist.

I'm building a new brick oven in our new house which will be a bit more complicated as it will be accessible from inside the kitchen. It's hard to use the oven when it's raining if it's not under a roof.

Pluses:

• Free heat for baking and roasting (if you have access to free wood)
  • Great food w practice. I've cooked chicken, pizza, bread, apple pie, lasagna, leg of lamb, stews, etc in my wfo. We can bake 15 loaves in a 32inch wfo in one go and there is enough heat to do a second load. This is after we do about 10 pizzas which take about 2-3 minutes to cook each.
  • The roast chicken, pizza and bread will be better than almost anything you can buy.

Negatives 

• You have to really like it., There is a learning curve to cookng with it. First 30 minutes too hot to cook anything but pizza and small breads. Next hour, bread, roasts are ok, Next 2 hours stews. After that dry the next batch of wood. You can't adjust the heat easily. 
  • Making good bread and pizza is another endeavor.
  • The brick oven is not cheap and is a real project Maybe will cost about P30k to 50k to build without a roof.
  • There is some smoke especially with wet and green wood (both are terrible). 

For us we make bread and pizza regularly  for our own use. I buy flour by the sack (maybe 1/4 of supermarket prices). I figure just the savings on bread pays for our LPG.

• Like 1