wingandprayer

I'm considering a move back to the States.  I came across this site:

http://www.manilavisa.com/us-visa/k3-visa-philippines/

Can anyone tell me how accurate it is withought lgoing though the whole litany of red tape?  When I look up the process through the government sites I'm barraged with a lot of info and forms that aren't pertinent to my situation.

Some help would be great.

USMC-Retired

Turbota DCF thread in passports visa forum is the best place to start.

You have lived here longer then a year and married. That has taken me 28 days to complete later this morning my wife has the final step the interview. Would have been 21 days if not for the 4th of july.

Nangulo

Here's the link to which Tim referred. 

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/31527-procedures-for-us-immigrant-visa-using-direct-consular-filing-dcf/

If you're already married, this is the fastest way to go.  I was helping a friend of mine with this process.  He's in Manila right now, going through the last piece of the process, the spousal interview.  All in all, he's been working at this for about 4 months only because he had one glitch with his paperwork on the initial filing that delayed him several weeks, and most of that time was waiting for the next appointment slot to open up at the embassy.  It's not a very onerous process.  

Besides the visa application, the wife will need a passport and CFO.  That can be a trying experience.

Edited by Nangulo
shadow

Can anyone tell me how accurate it is withought lgoing though the whole litany of red tape?  When I look up the process through the government sites I'm barraged with a lot of info and forms that aren't pertinent to my situation.

The K3 visa is obsolete. Refer to the thread started by Turbota. If you have lived in the Philippine for 6 months or more and can prove it, you can file DCF, which is very fast right now.

miles-high

If you have lived in the Philippine for 6 months or more and can prove it, you can file DCF, which is very fast right now.

For a single American, the BIG advantage of petitioning a K-1 visa (instead of marriage/DCF or K-3) is that he does not need to get married in the Philippines where divorce/annulment may be hard to obtain... In addition, the prenuptial agreement is enforceable in the US.

• Like 2
BFHammer

For a single American, the BIG advantage of petitioning a K-1 visa (instead of marriage/DCF or K-3) is that he does not need to get married in the Philippines where divorce/annulment may be hard to obtain... In addition, the prenuptial agreement is enforceable in the US.

It is a huge disadvantage if you want her to be able to work right away though.  90 days to marry, then another 8 months I think I read to get the green card.  Plus an additional 1100 bucks to file.

In my opinion if you have enough assets to need protection they should already be in trusts long before you get married.

• Like 1
Scruffydog

this is the gold standard of self help visa sites

http://www.visajourney.com

Edited by Scruffydog
Scruffydog

You can't get a K-1 if you are married. The spouse would have to present a CENOMAR.  

Headshot

There is nothing that says the two of you can't pop over to Hong Kong and get married. Then, as long as you don't register the marriage with the NSO, there is no problem with the Philippine government. Of course, a prenuptial agreement is a whole different matter. I believe they are usually only valid in the country where they were signed.

• Like 1
shadow

It is a huge disadvantage if you want her to be able to work right away though.  90 days to marry, then another 8 months I think I read to get the green card.  

Not true. We have had K1 entrants who were legally working within weeks of arriving in the US. There is a way, it's just not widely known or practiced.

Scruffydog

Not true. We have had K1 entrants who were legally working within weeks of arriving in the US. There is a way, it's just not widely known or practiced.

It's fairly commonly known. . If you come on a K-1. When you file your AOS file for EAD and AP.  It gives you a work permit and the ability to leave and reenter the country while your AOS is pending.  Most K-1 filers do it. 

• Like 1
USMC-Retired

Visa Journey is an excellent resource yet by no means the end all be all to answers. Many people processed visas long time ago. Thus everything changes like a fart in the wind. Manila is the busiest Embassy in the world. So much is diffrent here then else where. But I read many articles sorted by date thus ensuring it was current.

• Like 1
shadow

It's fairly commonly known. . If you come on a K-1. When you file your AOS file for EAD and AP.  It gives you a work permit and the ability to leave and reenter the country while your AOS is pending.  Most K-1 filers do it. 

You are still talking about being able to work months after entry, I am talking about weeks.

shadow

Visa Journey is an excellent resource yet by no means the end all be all to answers. Many people processed visas long time ago. Thus everything changes like a fart in the wind. Manila is the busiest Embassy in the world. So much is diffrent here then else where. But I read many articles sorted by date thus ensuring it was current.

Yes, Visa Journey is a good source of information. However it has a very high percentage of experts that got to be experts by processing ONE visa, and procedures don't always stay the same for long.

For most current problems a good source to keep up to date, but as you mentioned watch the dates and  for various embassies, what works somewhere else does not always work here. 

Scruffydog

You are still talking about being able to work months after entry, I am talking about weeks.

She filed as soon as we got married. Seems it was under a month to get the EAD. I don't know of any other way, unless she works under the table.