BDO's Motto "We Find Ways" - NOT

• Administrator
Salty Dog

I have had several accounts with BDO for nearly three years in Dumaguete where I used to live. I recently moved to Cebu City and wanted to transfer my accounts to the local branch here. Guess again. Here is what I sent to BDO:

I need to move my BDO accounts in Dumaguete to my local BDO branch here is Cebu. What procedure do I need to follow to accomplish this? Currently the local BDO branch is charging me P200 peso per transaction because they are not the branch where my account was opened. I did not have this happen with my BPI accounts. With BPI I was able to submit a change of address with my local branch and I can also complete transactions at any BPI in the Philippines without being charged a transaction fee.

Here was the response:

We regret the inconvenience this may cause you.

Please be advised as per existing bank's procedure, transferring of an account to a different branch is not yet available.

You can opt to close your present account and open a new account to your desired branch.

For further instructions you can opt to contact your BOA as they would be in a better position to advise you regarding this.

Thank you for banking with BDO.

Typical BS.

Oh by the way, they wouldn't let me open an account because I don't have a current I-Card. I told them I had recently applied for it and was waiting for it to arrive. I had the receipt for it. Besides their information said I only needed to provide 2 IDs. My Passport and Philippines drivers license were on the list of acceptable IDs. If they had let me open the new accounts, they were still going to charge me P200 per account to move my money from my old accounts to a new ones.

​Before everyone starts telling me why I should have an I-Card. I applied for my renewal on May 16th and as of last week, my card still hadn't returned from Manila to Dumaguete.

​BPI didn't even ask for one, in fact they didn't even ask for pictures and ID's to change my address. I got the form off the internet and just submitted it to the local branch.

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 2
SkyMan

Sounds like BDO is similarly as inconvenient as MetroBank where each branch is like its own little bank not associated with any of the other branches.  Morons.

• Like 2
jtmwatchbiz

Please be advised as per existing bank's procedure

rules for the sake of rules...is the rule of thumb here in our tropical paradise. no need to make sense just make more rules and requirements and limitations. there is one general rule in the USA where i come from: never make it difficult for a customer to give you their money. 

anyways speaking of useless rules, ever see what the average filipino needs for requirements to apply for and get a job in a dept store? lunacy. 

• Like 2
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

rules for the sake of rules...is the rule of thumb here in our tropical paradise. no need to make sense just make more rules and requirements and limitations. there is one general rule in the USA where i come from: never make it difficult for a customer to give you their money. 

anyways speaking of useless rules, ever see what the average filipino needs for requirements to apply for and get a job in a dept store? lunacy. 

I've even seen them require an attractive young single female.

• Like 1
passingby

Yes - BDO has gotten a LOT more unfriendly in the past few years.  I am not sure why but as so many situations here there is NO though given to the WHY of rules.  I would like info on a really friendly bank here in Cebu.  In BDO where I maintain significant US$ and Peso accounts a simple request could not be accomplished.  OK if I can find a more friendly bank I am OUT of BDO which has been GREAT in the past. 

• Like 1
jtmwatchbiz

I've even seen them require an attractive young single female.

well i can understand SOME rules are necessary :)

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

More helpful info from BDO.

Dear Valued Client,

Please be advised that we have temporarily suspended all pending and new enrollments in BDO Mobile Banking.

We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for your understanding.

BDO Electronic Banking

Not too big a deal since they only allow Smart customers to do mobile banking. Of course I could always log on with my smart phone as an online customer. Unlike BPI who even has an android application, BDO has nothing. Also unlike BPI which allows you to transfer from a dollar to peso account online, BDO nadda.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

More BS. Went to withdraw my money today from my dollar account and move it next door to BPI. The teller says are you closing your account? I said yes. She said, well then you have to go back to Dumaguete to close it. I said what if I just take all my money out, won't they just close it then. She said yes, but she can't close it and by the way we don't carry US change so you will have to leave 8 cents in the account. She also told me there is a charge of P200 because we're not your branch. I had to sign the deposit slip 5 times and she wanted to see 2 IDs with my passbook.

All this after waiting in line for ever because two guys had business accounts with multiple deposits. One guy was there for 45 minutes with over 30 deposits. The other one left his transactions, came back later and she was still working on his deposits. Why don't they have a special teller for business accounts? I think they just don't give a damn how long their customers stand in line.

BPI here I come.

• Like 1
throttleplate

I use BDO as my main and only bank in iloilo,i never had a problem with them but then again i never tried to transfer an account.When i arrived in iloilo in 2012 and no arc card they looked in my history file on the computer and seen i had an account back in 2009 in dipolog city on the island of mindanao which i closed out in 2010 and they said to me since i was a past customer with a BDO bank i could open an account without acr card.I opened the account,got atm card,no problem.The guy that was opening the account for me seemed to be very bright,great english,didnt have to repeat myself and neither did i ask him to. 

I think some of the problems with closing the account is the person you are dealing with,person may have been new or a trainee,i find i have good luck when dealing with older men and woman when it comes to business and banking transactions.

Mandingo

Sounds a lot like MetroBank..............

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Yea BDO is all hung up on this service charge thing. They gave me a card which exempts me from those charges no matter where I go, but its almost as inconvenient because they have to call over  supervisor and get a manual override every time I go into a different branch. 

I Can say some good things about them though. They do find ways. They gave me unsecured credit cards before I was even a permanent resident.