Sign in to follow this  
Wolfpack

S and R membership shopping (July 7th, 2013)

Wolfpack

I was already in the city because of attending the Fil-Am Friendship Celebration Saturday night...so I hit S & R membership shopping before heading back to San Fernando...

No California Milk today...

Picked up some common items for us...the Angus Beef burgers, Miller Beef Franks, Johnsonville Italian Sausage...USDA Ground Beef (to make Manwich)...and some breakfast sausage (the patty type)...

Picked up some common drinks for us...Welsh's Grape Soda, Cherry 7up and a case of Snapple Variety Pack of Tea...Budweiser Beer in bottles (born on day April 2013), Budweiser Beer in cans (born on date March 2013)...

grabbed a couple packages of their local pork and chicken...

even this simple stop cost me 8000 pesos...

tried their "Southern Fried Chicken"...I likely will not be doing that again...if I am going to buy takeout chicken...I prefer KFC...

grabbed 4 French Breads from French Baker...and went home...been an exhausting few days of partying in Cebu City : )

• Like 1

Rocketman

You DO love your food shopping!  :yahoo:   Thanks for the update!!!

• Like 1

cebubird

Glad they have the Johnsonville italian sausage again This is the longest they have been out of Calif milk. Have to go to the city tomorrow and planned to go to S&R, but no milk, so no reason to go. Hope I'll at least find some Cebu Fresh in SM.

The Miller franks are pretty good,(grilled)

just wish they were a little thicker, like Ball Park.

Thanks for the update

smokey

I was already in the city because of attending the Fil-Am Friendship Celebration Saturday night...so I hit S & R membership shopping before heading back to San Fernando...

Picked up some common items for us...the Angus Beef burgers, Miller Beef Franks, Johnsonville Italian Sausage...USDA Ground Beef (to make Manwich)...and some breakfast sausage (the patty type)...

Picked up some common drinks for us...Welsh's Grape Soda, Cherry 7up and a case of Snapple Variety Pack of Tea...Budweiser Beer in bottles (born on day April 2013), Budweiser Beer in cans (born on date March 2013)...

tried their "Southern Fried Chicken"...I likely will not be doing that again...if I am going to buy takeout chicken...I prefer KFC...

grabbed 4 French Breads from French Baker...and went home...been an exhausting few days of partying in Cebu City : )

[/quote

maybe you can be the GREEN GROCER for the forum... So how much is cream of wheat and is it the box or the separate 10 pack deal , also why is brewed coffee so expensive ?

Wolfpack

Glad they have the Johnsonville italian sausage again This is the longest they have been out of Calif milk. Have to go to the city tomorrow and planned to go to S&R, but no milk, so no reason to go. Hope I'll at least find some Cebu Fresh in SM.

The Miller franks are pretty good,(grilled)

just wish they were a little thicker, like Ball Park.

Thanks for the update

totally agree with the "Ball Park" wish...I have requested someone bring me those from the states...it is one item no one has brought me yet...

The Miller's Franks are better than any other options I have found since Ayala stopped stocking Hebrew National...

[/quote

maybe you can be the GREEN GROCER for the forum... So how much is cream of wheat and is it the box or the separate 10 pack deal , also why is brewed coffee so expensive ?

I dont drink coffee...and dont even know what cream of wheat is...I would not make a very good "GREEN GROCER"

Half Baked

Ball Park beef franks were my favorite back in the states. Even their hot dog buns were my favorite. The had a bag of frozen precooked burger patties that were pretty good (I just couldn't get used to a microwaved hamburger) I didn't try them in a pan or grilled, I'm sure they were lots better that way.

Ball Park would be a hit here with the expats I'm sure. Are you reading this Ball Park? :yell:

Edited by Half Baked
  • Like 1

thebob

Coffee isn't expensive. Robusta beans are usually 45 pesos a kilo. I think that shipping coffee to the US, processing it, packaging it and then shipping it to Cebu might account for the price.

I'm stunned about how you guys crave for products from your home country.

You really are products of a consumerist nation aren't you? Don't you think that the advertising companies might have got inside your heads a little too much?

• Like 3

smokey

Coffee isn't expensive. Robusta beans are usually 45 pesos a kilo. I think that shipping coffee to the US, processing it, packaging it and then shipping it to Cebu might account for the price.

You really are products of a consumerist nation aren't you? Don't you think that the advertising companies might have got inside your heads a little too much?

dang bob now that is some deep thinking ... i like Foldgers and yuban and get this i dont like rice either

passingby

I'm stunned about how you guys crave for products from your home country - what a statement.  Seems that I remember in Canada and USA and a LOT of other countries there are tons of ASIAN grocery stores, Vietnamese, Thai, Filipino, etc.  SO if the nationals of those countries living in "Foreign" countries want their home food why should not US here?  By the way when in North America i do shop at a LOT of Asian stores as I like the food.

• Like 1

smokey

I'm stunned about how you guys crave for products from your home country - what a statement.  Seems that I remember in Canada and USA and a LOT of other countries there are tons of ASIAN grocery stores, Vietnamese, Thai, Filipino, etc.  SO if the nationals of those countries living in "Foreign" countries want their home food why should not US here?  By the way when in North America i do shop at a LOT of Asian stores as I like the food.

[/quote

your right my wife goes to the asian store all the time she cooks fish whole and eats rice like its raining rice i did get her to eat at wendys and taco bell but she still would rather eat the same food she ate in cebu.... dang foreigner refuses to adapt to the USA ways

• Like 1

Wolfpack

lol, the UK is NOT known for food...so I can understand your lack of understanding in this area...

is there any UK products at all at S & R? there is a reason, most of the items at S & R are from the USA...that is where the good food is made!!!

• Like 2

A_Simple_Man

UK is NOT known for food.

bangers and mash

cockels and whelks

roast beef and Yorkshire pudding

jellied eel

Birds Custard Powder

Piccalilli

mince meat

and I've only begun to type.

• Like 1

billy

bangers and mash

cockels and whelks

jellied eel

Birds Custard Powder

Piccalilli

mince meat

it's no wonder these foods aren't well known in the rest of the world

• Like 1

thebob

it's no wonder these foods aren't well known in the rest of the world

All the good things are available here. Gin and tonic, Fish and Chips, Tripe and onions, Lard...

lol, the UK is NOT known for food...so I can understand your lack of understanding in this area...

is there any UK products at all at S & R? there is a reason, most of the items at S & R are from the USA...that is where the good food is made!!!

I'm sorry I didn't mean that to sound like I was chastising anyone. I'm just truly surprised that to cook "American food", you need to actually import such specific brands from your own country.

English cooking is probably codified in Mrs Beeton's book of household management. Using this kind of resource there isn't really a need for "supermarket" food.

So called "Asian shops" just stock a different kind of ingredients that aren't readily available in many places.

It is just the "brand loyalty" that I find so startling. I'm guessing that what you are all looking for is "consistency", and demand that every time you try a certain dish, you want it to be identical to the last time.

I hear people complain that they can't find a certain kind of bacon or ham, but I see plenty of pork and salt in the market, and don't really understand what the problem is.

no one

All the good things are available here. Gin and tonic, Fish and Chips, Tripe and onions, Lard...

I'm sorry I didn't mean that to sound like I was chastising anyone. I'm just truly surprised that to cook "American food", you need to actually import such specific brands from your own country.

English cooking is probably codified in Mrs Beeton's book of household management. Using this kind of resource there isn't really a need for "supermarket" food.

So called "Asian shops" just stock a different kind of ingredients that aren't readily available in many places.

It is just the "brand loyalty" that I find so startling. I'm guessing that what you are all looking for is "consistency", and demand that every time you try a certain dish, you want it to be identical to the last time.

I hear people complain that they can't find a certain kind of bacon or ham, but I see plenty of pork and salt in the market, and don't really understand what the problem is.

was asking mr google about it and lots of there are using pink solt as well as normal solt 

there is no way i can get pink solt around here so can i just use normal solt for it ???

Wolfpack

bangers and mash

cockels and whelks

jellied eel

Birds Custard Powder

Piccalilli

mince meat

and what isle can those items be found at S & R membership shopping?

thebob

was asking mr google about it and lots of there are using pink solt as well as normal solt 

there is no way i can get pink solt around here so can i just use normal solt for it ???

Use regular iodized salt and about 10% brown sugar.

Davaoeno

Lard...

yes i remember dear old Mom with her bread and dripping - its a wonder her heart didnt stop on the spot !!

• Like 1

A_Simple_Man

and what isle can those items be found at S & R membership shopping?

I have no idea.  You said the UK is not known for its food and I pointed out that it is.  Sorry for following you off topic.

Wolfpack

Why do you think places like Krispy Kreme...import all their ingredients?

because in order for it to taste like a U.S.A made Krispy Kreme donut...it needs to be made with the same ingredients...

Some places, like Pizza Hut...do not import their ingredients...so the can offer a product at a competitive price...

bottom line here, for this topic...if you want U.S.A. items...the best place to shop...is S & R membership shopping...that is why I shop there...

Now, if you know a better place to shop for American products...please do enlighten me...

I make these threads for the benefits of those interested in American food...

thebob

Why do you think places like Krispy Kreme...import all their ingredients?

because in order for it to taste like a U.S.A made Krispy Kreme donut...it needs to be made with the same ingredients...

Some places, like Pizza Hut...do not import their ingredients...so the can offer a product at a competitive price...

bottom line here, for this topic...if you want U.S.A. items...the best place to shop...is S & R membership shopping...that is why I shop there...

Now, if you know a better place to shop for American products...please do enlighten me...

I make these threads for the benefits of those interested in American food...

I have no idea what Krispy Kreme is, I've never been to Pizza Hut. I was given some Hersheys chocolate once, I thought it was vile. Like the cheap chocolate used to ice cakes.

I'm familiar with Heinz Beans and Ketchup, but I think the Beans may be more popular in the UK than the US.

So I don't really know of any US products. KFC and Macdoo aren't the kind of food you would need to replicate.

I've never been to S&R, they don't seem to stock anything I want.

You mentioned that they had a cheese section do they import proper cheddar cheese from England?

Branston Pickle?

Marmite?

Edited by thebob

Wolfpack

I have no idea what Krispy Kreme is, I've never been to Pizza Hut. I was given some Hersheys chocolate once, I thought it was vile. Like the cheap chocolate used to ice cakes.

I'm familiar with Heinz Beans and Ketchup, but I think the Beans may be more popular in the UK than the US.

So I don't really know of any US products. KFC and Macdoo aren't the kind of food you would need to replicate.

I've never been to S&R, they don't seem to stock anything I want.

how would you know, if they stock anything you want, if you have never been there?

certainly, me being American...I am not going to be looking for foods that interest someone from the U.K., that does not mean they do not have it...just means, I do not shop like someone from the U.K.

they have more than just food...they have appliances...clothes...cleaning supplies...heck, they even have Kingsford Competition Charcoal...

I am sure you wear clothes, use a refrigerator and take a bath...I could be wrong though...

• Like 1

thebob

Don't you have to pay to join?

Wolfpack

you have to pay a membership fee per year...but you can roam around the store...without buying anything...before you commit to the membership fee...

they have huge saving months like March and September...when they sell things at prices so cheap...the membership fee is well worth it...

I am sure your menu of items you would buy...would greatly differ from me...but that does not mean there is not value there for you...just because we shop differently (different items)

• Like 1

easy44

I know there are people who won't pay to shop because it's against their principles.  The way I look at it, if the membership fee saves you money over a relatively short period of time, and/or allows access to products you can't find elsewhere then I can't see any reason not to pay it.