Cebu Pacific Davao Crash: Whitewash, As Expected

Guy60417

Today's crash at SFO, and the behavior of a well-trained flight crew after the crash, reminded me of the Davao crash last month, when the crew panicked, froze, burst into tears, and left the passengers without any help for fifteen-twenty minutes. So I looked up online to see if there has been any update.

At the time, I predicted on my blog that Cebu Pacific would get off with nothing more than a wrist-slap, if that.

I was right. Not that that makes me a genius; the Gokongwei family, who own and run the airline, are rich, and everybody knows the rich never get punished here, The pilots were punished (appropriately, it seems) but CP got nothing but a 'please do better in the future':

Although Cebu Pacific will not be receiving any fines or penalties from the Civil Aviation Authority, it will be asked to comply with an action plan that emphasizes safety over cost-cutting measures.

Wrye83

Although Cebu Pacific will not be receiving any fines or penalties from the Civil Aviation Authority, it will be asked to comply with an action plan that emphasizes safety over cost-cutting measures.

Did they say "pretty please"?

Paul

Cool blog. If you want the link in your signature, let me know. Happy to add it.

Guy60417

Thanks, Paul. Glad you like it. Yes, a link would be great.

Cannonball

Today's crash at SFO, and the behavior of a well-trained flight crew after the crash, reminded me of the Davao crash last month, when the crew panicked, froze, burst into tears, and left the passengers without any help for fifteen-twenty minutes. So I looked up online to see if there has been any update.

At the time, I predicted on my blog that Cebu Pacific would get off with nothing more than a wrist-slap, if that.

I was right. Not that that makes me a genius; the Gokongwei family, who own and run the airline, are rich, and everybody knows the rich never get punished here, The pilots were punished (appropriately, it seems) but CP got nothing but a 'please do better in the future':

Thank you that is an interesting Blog and refreshing to read, thank you for making in know to us.

• 1 month later...

The items that the airline were asked to comply with were not free.  Since the Davao accident there have been many changes set forth in Flight Operations and Training. 

spooks

please share.

If It was Zest air they be grounded until this day 

Guy60417

The items that the airline were asked to comply with were not free.  Since the Davao accident there have been many changes set forth in Flight Operations and Training. 

Probably there are costs associated with bringing themselves into compliance with the minimal standards they should have maintained all along, but that seems to miss the point that they were not punished in any way for their previous failure to meet those standards.

If It was Zest air they be grounded until this day 

What got Zest grounded was ongoing infractions of the PCAR (Philippine Civil Aviation Regulations) and their refusal to address maintenance issues.  CP was not violating the PCAR, they had an accident which uncovered some deficiencies in training.  CP has complied with the CAAP in corrective actions and underwent a thourough audit.

Probably there are costs associated with bringing themselves into compliance with the minimal standards they should have maintained all along, but that seems to miss the point that they were not punished in any way for their previous failure to meet those standards.

It wasn't a compliance to a minimum standard issue, it was some training issues that needed to be improved. Big difference.

Guy60417

It wasn't a compliance to a minimum standard issue, it was some training issues that needed to be improved. Big difference.

It seems to me that training the cabin crew that a plane should be evacuated after a crash is a pretty minimal standard.

• Like 1
miles-high

Try to explain the differences to your customers and general public... If you are any way affiliated with the airline, for your own protection, I would have your public relations people answer these questions...

Try to explain the differences to your customers and general public... If you are any way affiliated with the airline, for your own protection, I would have your public relations people answer these questions...

The only point I'm making here is the usual public outcry on any airline accident is "off with their heads!".  There is usual more than meets the eye or can be understood by the general public.

I do believe it was covered extensively here in the local media as to the corrective actions and follow ups.

Edited by CaptRonn