Paint for corrugated steel roof?

SkyMan

What's the best paint (and primer) for a basic metal roof?  I searched on this and found some suggestions for elastomeric paint with some primer.  When I checked on this at the HW store I found 2 brands of elastomeric paint but both said they were for cement and no primer necessary.  The brands were Rain & Shine and A-plus or something like that.  Any suggestions?

panther

I always use red oxide but not sure what brand it comes under here

fred42

Red oxide is the cheapest way ,so a good three coats would last for years.. If you want a tough shiny finish then I would advise epoxy enamel over the red oxide primer..

That stuff is tough!! I painted my cement mixer with it..Even the first 12 " of the mixers interior.. Not even a chip in the paint after over 50 concrete mix`s!

The water based rain & shine are not bad paints but they fade pretty quickly in the heat in my experience.. No good for a metal roof IMO.

Edited by fred42
thebob

If the steel were bare I would agree with red oxide primer, but I'd guess that the roof is galvanized which is a hot zinc dip so zinc chromate primer is appropriate.

There are speciality "roofcote" paints that are sold under the Island brand here.

Doromaner

I would do a primer and an elastomeric roof coat. White will keep your house the coolest.

Canuck Joe

My roof has 12 years on it....needs repainting and im worried i may have left it too long.