Stair Construction - a Primer

Knowdafish

This is a good read for those designing their own house. (see link) Know Your House: Stair Design and Construction for a Safe Climb

A stair is an integral part of the architecture in any home that has more than one level, even if there are just a few feet between levels. 

In a sense a stair is one of the most important pieces of architecture in a home. More often than not, a home's stair becomes a backdrop for many of life's significant events, including those high-school-prom and wedding-day photos. And as a day-to-day utilitarian item, a stair is a wonderful way to choreograph movement through a home. It's no wonder that architects and designers spend so much time designing stairs, and that true craftspeople build stairs that are absolute joys.

In all of a stair's beauty, choreography and craft are elements that combine structure and material — all set to a required geometry to ensure that a stair is both a joy to traverse and safe. Some things are no longer allowed, such as risers that are too steep, treads that are too narrow, uneven riser heights and tread depths, and more.....

• Like 2
the boss

Didn't mention the cost.

Some large elaborate stair cases can cost more than the utilities in a home.

I do home improvement business in the US.

Many people want a nice stair remodel till they see the prices.

All those parts really add up quick.

And if your getting into circular or curves, its all custom then!!!

smokey

here is our stairway to the kings retreat... <<< well if the queen will allow it

post-35-0-09165100-1372608717_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
smokey

here is our stairway to the kings retreat... <<< well if the queen will allow it

post-35-0-09165100-1372608717_thumb.jpg

philuk

If it was me i would have done a left and a right one instead of both the same way

Headed that way

yeah Smokey, spend the bucks and build at least two if you are going to be able to hold your head high.  : )

I built a spiral staircase for a new home a around fifteen years ago.   Completely free standing, steel boxes bolted to the floor and upper landing made it rock solid.    To build thecurved stringers that made a one and a quarter turn, you build walls out of 2  x 6's fastened onto plywood floor plates then start wrapping 1/4" plywood and gluing everything together.   Fire hoses  make the clamps, backed up with more 2 x 6's hanging on steel straps.

The better half of the couple came by once while I was inflating the fire hoses to clamp the wood.  No time to talk, glue is drying and it is a complex clamping so I asked her to stand out of the way while I hustled.  Two of the dang eight foot long 2 x 6's split and blew off the clamps, bracketed her, one on either side not more than a foot away.  It could have easily killed her had she been a foot either direction.  You would not believe the force behind a board launched by a fire hose inflated to 10 psi. 

smokey

I was not there when it was built and it was a surprise to me also