Adobo

Queenslander

Queenslander

Here in Australia we have several types of vinegar: Malt vinegar, white(spirit) vinegar, rice vinegar, wine vinegar etc. What vinegar is used in PI in adobo recipes? I just cooked a pork adobo from a recipe on the Internet, it was delicious but I used the brown Australian malt vinegar.

Edited by Queenslander
  • Admin (Retired)
broden
Here in Australia we have several types of vinegar: Malt vinegar, white(spirit) vinegar, rice vinegar, wine vinegar etc. What vinegar is used in PI in adobo recipes? I just cooked a pork adobo from a recipe on the Internet, it was delicious but I used the brown Australian malt vinegar.

in the states or in the RP my wife has always used plain white vinegar ... but other kinds might be worth a try .. i'll have to put the idea in to her head

she did say they would sometime make their own coconut vinegar to use

Edited by broden

Here in the US we use cider vinegar. But in PH I have seen Palm vinegar, cane vinegar and even coconut vinegar.

I used to go 50/50 vinegar and soy sauce, but now I use about 25% vinegar, 25 soy and the rest water. Seems to make for a milder tasting adobo.

Bob Ward

The Filipinos that I learned from use suka from tuba, or coconut vinegar. If that's not "in stock", then white commercial cane vinegar like Puti or the like. Like Hoz says, when it's too strong, the Filipinos will not like it as much.

Edited by Bob Ward
mikejwoodnz

my wife says nipa palm sap vinegar (sukang paombong). Here she prefers we use Balsamic Vinegar - I favour cider vinegar.

Bob Ward
my wife says nipa palm sap vinegar (sukang paombong). Here she prefers we use Balsamic Vinegar - I favour cider vinegar.

Your wife must be from Luzon? LOLOLOL on the Balsamic, it's here but expensive. I'm an apple cider vinegar type of guy myself!!!

JohninCebu

Locals certainly don't like too much vinegar. I use 50:50 soy:vinegar. Coconut or wine vinegar rather than Puti, which is quite strong, and a table spoon of sugar.

Bob Ward
Locals certainly don't like too much vinegar. I use 50:50 soy:vinegar. Coconut or wine vinegar rather than Puti, which is quite strong, and a table spoon of sugar.

You are turning Filipino when you take a spoon full of sugar to make the medecine go down!!! :biggrin_01:

mikejwoodnz
my wife says nipa palm sap vinegar (skunk Palembang). Here she prefers we use Balsamic Vinegar - I favour cider vinegar.

Your wife must be from Luzon? LOLOLOL on the Balsamic, it's here but expensive. I'm an apple cider vinegar type of guy myself!!!

- yes - but her mother is originally from Cebu, and I prefer Cebu. Balsamic is also expensive here and Genuine Balsamic is even more expensive - but I can't get away with the soy/apple cider trick. I cook more a thai/szchaun style with a chili,ginger,garlic base she likes to use pure sesame oil as a sauce on the finished dish ! :biggrin_01:

JohninCebu
my wife says nipa palm sap vinegar (skunk Palembang). Here she prefers we use Balsamic Vinegar - I favour cider vinegar.

- yes - but her mother is originally from Cebu, and I prefer Cebu. Balsamic is also expensive here and Genuine Balsamic is even more expensive - but I can't get away with the soy/apple cider trick. I cook more a thai/szchaun style with a chili,ginger,garlic base she likes to use pure sesame oil as a sauce on the finished dish ! :lol:

Lucky man.

balsamic...no way

cane will do....

It's better to try the different vinegars and test which suits your taste.

We have an Asian supermarket here with a small selection of Filipino items. Usually we use Datu-Puti vinegar. When we can't get that, regular white vinegar works fine.

Queenslander

Guess what, I was in Chinatown (Brisbane Australia) walking through an arcade where a seafood market had closed down recently and joy of joy - an entire Philippines store has opened there!! Bought some Datu Puti vinegar and going to make some Adobo tomorrow. I won't be making it tonight because an Indian restaurant has just opened round the corner from where I live and I can't wait to get there either. I'm in food heaven at the moment. Like they say, never rains but it pours :rolleyes::as-if: The store was crowded with grateful Filipinos so I'll go back when it's less busy and have a good browse.

p.s. In Australia vinegar comes in typical boring grocery style bottles, but the Datu Puti is in a big flashy colourful bottle that looks exactly like cheap Tequila - I walked into the office carrying it and everyone's eyes were popping out of their heads, like I was going to get on the booze at work :P

Edited by Queenslander

Cane vinegar or pineapple vinegar will work well if you can get it in the states ......... or Silver Swan brand vinegar found in Cebu ........ boy ain't it amazing how smart I have become in the past several weeks ........ :rolleyes::as-if::P:mad_01: