Sign in to follow this  
Paul

All this talk about water got me thinking...

Paul

... about how much water we, Vivian, Quinn, and I, use every day. I tried to estimate this as best I could, anyway. 

I have heard / read the average person uses about 220 liters of water per day. So, I figured I would see if I could calculate our usage.

According to this site, we use about 70 gallons (264 liters) of water, per day, total. This is water solely supplied to the house from the city water mains. This does not include what we consume daily from the water bottles.

For the record, there is a 750 liter tank supplying the house, about six meters high, on a tower. 

So, how much water does your household consume, daily?

CebuKano

We are a family of 5 (currently) and we use about 600-700 liters a day on average. Not including our drinking water. That's with one load of wash in our LG machine every two days on average. By the way, our water use dropped quite a bit when we started using the machine vs. hand washing our laundry.

Edit- so.. about 180 gallons or so per day. Round it up to 200 gallons per day on avg.

Edited by Motörhead

Doromaner

Low flush toilet- 7 liters per flush (if its yellow let it mellow, if its brown flush it down, 2 flushes per day per person)

Low flow shower head - 4 liters per minute (10 minutes max)

Low flow faucet - 4 liters per minute (turn the faucet input down on all faucets)

Smallest washing machine possible. Only use when full.

There are ways to get water usage way down.

Peter C

we have a 2.000 liter water tank on the tower, the average daily consumption for a household of 3 is about 1.000 liters a day - including daily car wash..

Saturday/Sunday the laundry is done by washing machine, at these days the consumption doubles.

the garden plants are watered by 10 to 12 buckets of water a day, filled by hand pump

one 5 gallon container of drinking water lasts up to 3 days.

edit: we have our own deep well

Edited by Peter C

SkyMan

The wife and I use maybe 12-15 bottles for drinking/cooking in a month.  I refill the 1KL tank about 1.5 times a month.  That supplies hand dipped showers and toilet flushing.  Dish washing and water for 3 German Shepherds.  Laundry is done by a service in town.

BFHammer

50 liters flushing

100 liters showering

10000 liters showering for "special time"

I guess i better get married to save the world's water supply.

Paul

we have a 2.000 liter water tank on the tower, the average daily consumption for a household of 3 is about 1.000 liters a day - including daily car wash..

Saturday/Sunday the laundry is done by washing machine, at these days the consumption doubles.

the garden plants are watered by 10 to 12 buckets of water a day, filled by hand pump

one 5 gallon container of drinking water lasts up to 3 days.

edit: we have our own deep well

Dang, man. How many people do you have living there? 1,000 liters per day?!

Low flush toilet- 7 liters per flush (if its yellow let it mellow, if its brown flush it down, 2 flushes per day per person)

Low flow shower head - 4 liters per minute (10 minutes max)

Low flow faucet - 4 liters per minute (turn the faucet input down on all faucets)

Smallest washing machine possible. Only use when full.

There are ways to get water usage way down.

So far, every post of yours that I have replied to, I have agreed with. But, time has come to not agree. 

If I am only using 70 gallons per day, I am gonna flush the toilet every time I use it, mellow or brown. It's a habit I started long ago, one that I do not wish to kick. 

I just have a thing about leaving ANYTHING in a toilet.

----------------

By the way, I went through that site again, and adjusted some of the options I felt were probably not quite accurate before. I came up with 69 gallons the second time. So, I guess we are pretty conservative here, when it comes to water. Even though, water here is cheap as chips. I am sure other foreigners here probably do not conserve at all. 

TorJay

Interesting topic that got me thinking about my water use.  When I think of it, I would have to say my daily use is around 75 gallons.  That's a lot of freakin' water!

twostrokes

I just calculated my (average) which can very a lot from month to month and it works out to right at 200 gal a day.....(800 cubic feet per month)) for the two of us. Well, two humans.....also have 3 - 1400 lb steers, 7 pigs,30 parrots, 2 dogs 5 cats, 9 chickens and 7 ducks that all need water. The ducks get one of those small kiddie plastic pools refilled daily for their drinking and playing water..How much they use out of that 200 gal. and how much we humans use, I don't know. When I have to start watering the garden, my usage can go up to 1200 cubic feet per month or 300 gal per day. For that my water bill runs between $60 and $90 per month.

CebuKano

... about how much water we, Vivian, Quinn, and I, use every day. I tried to estimate this as best I could, anyway. 

I have heard / read the average person uses about 220 liters of water per day. So, I figured I would see if I could calculate our usage.

According to this site, we use about 70 gallons (264 liters) of water, per day, total. This is water solely supplied to the house from the city water mains. This does not include what we consume daily from the water bottles.

For the record, there is a 750 liter tank supplying the house, about six meters high, on a tower. 

So, how much water does your household consume, daily?

Received our monthly MCWD bill today and it confirms my estimate that our family of five consumes about 200 gallons of water per day on average. City water in metro Cebu City is very cheap. 23 cubic meters of water for P385 inclusive of all taxes/fees. Wouldn't it be nice if VECO was similar?

• Like 1

MaKe

there is a company in the US that sells a solar water generator to be used in humid environments.

Since bottled water is so cheap, I doubt that it would pay for itself, but would be a good idea to supply

fresh drinking water to a small village...I oft wonder why governments or charitable organizations don't provide

these to the millions of people that don't have access to potable drinking water....

http://www.atlantissolar.com/index.html

hchoate

Hope this pans out. Lack of potable water is a BIG problem world wide.

http://www.desalination.biz/news/news_story.asp?id=7146&channel=0&title=UTA-Marburg+desalination+research+paper+published

A simple power supply is used to apply a 3.0 V potential bias across a microelectrochemical cell comprising two microchannels spanned by a single bipolar electrode (BPE) to drive chloride oxidation and water electrolysis at the BPE poles. The resulting ion-depletion zone and associated electric field gradient direct ions into a branching microchannel, consequently producing desalted water.

Knowdafish

.I oft wonder why governments or charitable organizations don't provide these to the millions of people that don't have access to potable drinking water....

While those may be a good idea they are probably too expensive to install considering the demand. 

Actually there are quite a few non-profit organizations who provide free systems and all the necessary equipment for potable water systems, but the demand exceeds the supply. 

Here are just a few, but I know of a few others that are huge and supply systems world-wide. 

Some are involved in supplying equipment, man-power, and training to install and maintain a drilled water well, while others have systems that convert non-potable sources of water to potable.

cebubird

Our water bill says we use average 30 per month which is about 220gals a day for us(wife kid and helper)with lot going to water new plants/grass, so obviously my 660 liter tank would now last us a day with normal water usage. Obviously if there was no water we would greatly reduce our usage.