Sign in to follow this  
SkyMan

Charity request (Gary Jones)

SkyMan

Just found out a couple days ago a former neighbor of mine, Gary Jones, has been in Chong Hua ICU almost a week now. I first met him back when I lived in an apartment about a year in Catarman, Liloan over 5 years ago.  A year or so after I moved out of the apartment he moved to the Capital area so some of you may know him there.  He served in the Navy and was a prison guard in Monroe, NC.

Not sure of the details but I'll just call it a diabetic episode to include lots of water retention/pneumonia/some kidney failure and aside from that his heart is only functioning at a third of normal.  He's in his 70s and his very long time gf Bern is taking care of him but there isn't much money for the long ICU stay and she isn't working to take care of him.  He has very limited communication ability but wants to get home and is showing some good improvement but they want to see the ultrasound before releasing him.  Another ultrasound is needed to evaluate the kidneys which they don't have money for and I'm sure that isn't the end of it.  He needs prayers, of course, and if anyone would like to help in any way with the bills please PM me

• Like 2

Stardust

He needs prayers

Done  :)

Skywalker

Doesn't he have health insurance?

Brucewayne

Doesn't he have health insurance?

You might be surprised at how many come here with zero health insurance, a very costly (deadly?) mistake in the Philippines.

Just found out a couple days ago a former neighbor of mine, Gary Jones, has been in Chong Hua ICU almost a week now. I first met him back when I lived in an apartment about a year in Catarman, Liloan over 5 years ago.  A year or so after I moved out of the apartment he moved to the Capital area so some of you may know him there.  He served in the Navy and was a prison guard in Monroe, NC.

Not sure of the details but I'll just call it a diabetic episode to include lots of water retention/pneumonia/some kidney failure and aside from that his heart is only functioning at a third of normal.  He's in his 70s and his very long time gf Bern is taking care of him but there isn't much money for the long ICU stay and she isn't working to take care of him.  He has very limited communication ability but wants to get home and is showing some good improvement but they want to see the ultrasound before releasing him.  Another ultrasound is needed to evaluate the kidneys which they don't have money for and I'm sure that isn't the end of it.  He needs prayers, of course, and if anyone would like to help in any way with the bills please PM me

I didn't see this when you first posted it, did everything turn out okay, or is he still in need of something?

Skywalker

You might be surprised at how many come here with zero health insurance, a very costly (deadly?) mistake in the Philippines.

It's a negligent and stupid mistake that can, and does, cost lives.  But look, if a foreigner can't even secure a position whereby he is not going to be a burden on anyone else, then how can that person be a viable and responsible partner?

If you are here with no health insurance, you are very obviously a potential costly (avoidable) liability.  If you are here, in that situation - good luck, but when reality sets in, don't be too surprised if the responsible people here are not particularly interested in helping out.  I certainly wouldn't - this, to me, is just as stupid as driving without insurance.  It is exactly the same thing in my view.  Sorry if that sounds harsh.

Interestingly this is a very real problem, and I read recently that the Government in Thailand are considering making health insurance for foreigners mandatory.  I absolutely agree with them.  Incidentally, Thais travelling abroad are required, under Thai Law, to have travel insurance.

Edited by Skywalker
  • Like 1

Mr. Mike

PM me please..................

SkyMan

Gary passed away a couple days after I posted this.  I should have posted that here but since there was no response to my message I assumed no one knew him.  He was a good guy and had paid for a lot of schooling for his gf and set her up in a business and put a couple of her sisters through college.  His gf believes it was a spider bite on his foot about 5 years ago that never healed that brought about his eventual demise.

RIP Gary.

broden

R.I.P.

Brucewayne

Gary passed away a couple days after I posted this.  I should have posted that here but since there was no response to my message I assumed no one knew him.  He was a good guy and had paid for a lot of schooling for his gf and set her up in a business and put a couple of her sisters through college.  His gf believes it was a spider bite on his foot about 5 years ago that never healed that brought about his eventual demise.

RIP Gary.

I would have gladly responded, but for some reason I only saw the post this morning while looking for other threads to troll.