Sign in to follow this  
billy

Health Insurance

fluke

As I understand Medicare doesn't cover any claims originating outside the US.

He could always fly to Guam if he had to. Yeah maybe get PhilHealth and be prepared to evac to Guam.  Might be the way. Kind of late to be figuring this stuff out but not the ultimate in lateness. LOL

• Like 1

fluke

I applied through Brokerfish, which was easy enough. Opted to pay by bank transfer initially, not by credit card, as I did not like the small print about the latter.

The Brokerfish website doesn't work for me. Maybe it's an old site. Can you post a link Sven ? And the fine print about the CREDIT CARD payments ??? I love me some paying with credit card alas another thing to put on the Phils shitlist.

Sven

The Brokerfish website doesn't work for me. Maybe it's an old site. Can you post a link Sven ? And the fine print about the CREDIT CARD payments ??? I love me some paying with credit card alas another thing to put on the Phils shitlist.

I just used their main comparison function here: https://www.brokerfish.com/

But there is a hitch. As you click through to the A+ offer, the web browser will return to you a PDF document... packed inside a ZIP file.

If you don't know what that means, you are basically not going to make it. But I trust you can just email Brokerfish if you get stuck.

You can pay by credit card but they will not show you the exact price before you give your card details. They also reserve the right to charge you repeatedly, each year I suppose. I just didn't like the sound of that.

This has nothing to do with the Philippines... A+ is not a Phils business, and neither is Brokerfish.

Monsoon

Blue cross Philippines strikes again! Well folks I had a few glasses of wine with a (female) expat friend of mine and her husband and she told me she had some surgery since we last saw each other. And Blue Cross Philippines stuck her with the big ass bill and called her condition 'preexisting condition'. 

Here you have it again! They did the same thing to me.   Basically, everything is a preexisting condition from sometime! They just have their doctors say, "Yep we think that was there before you started your policy." 

Mine was even worse because they tried to say NO CONDITION was a preexisting condition. Scratch your head for a while like I did. 

BLUE CROSS PHILIPPINES IS NO GOOD. Keep your money in the bank. Or send it to me and when you get sick I will kick you in the nuts just like BC Philippines will, except I'll charge you half of what they will to do the same thing.

Sven

Here is a little update regarding A+ insurance:

After a bit of back and forth, I have finally received my policy, insurance card, and login to their web site which give an overview of my coverage, etc.

The members area of the web site also provides a directory of medical providers all over the world.

I am a bit unhappy, however, to see that their contact list for South-East Asia is rather thin.

For the Philippines, there are only two entries: Healthway in Makati, and Asian Hospital in Muntinlupa.

For Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia, there are also only two entries per country.

Most of their contacts for this part of the world seem to be in Thailand and China, including Hong Kong. Also a few in Singapore.

So I wonder, how useful would this insurance card be in Cebu if I really needed it...?

Skywalker

So I wonder, how useful would this insurance card be in Cebu if I really needed it...?

Is there any particular reason why you are not directing this question at A+ insurance?

Davaoeno

I just renewed with Blue Cross. Before I did I had some correspondence with them :

Dear Sir Ian,

Greetings!

I apologized for the late reply, regarding your query the Medical insurance will consider that pre-existing heart condition will be covered, also the 

hypertension.

Please refer to the III. POLICY BENEFITS:

3.1 PRE-EXISTING CONDITION: Any Pre-Existing Condition shall only be covered after one year from the time an Insured Person has been included in the Policy, provided that there is no failure to disclose, misrepresent or conceal, material information in the original Application or Application for reinstatement. Notwithstanding the disclosure by the Insured Person of a Pre-Existing Condition, the Company may permanently exclude from cover a specific medical condition or Disability upon written notice to the Insured Person.

Thank you and Best Regards

MARIBEL M. CARANDANG
EB DIVISION - Account Coordinator
OMNI International Consultants, Inc.

On Jan 6, 2014, at 10:49 AM, ian wrote:

Hi- is it your intention to reply to my last email – or do we just forget renewing this policy ??

I am still not sure what you are saying re “ pre-existing condition”     I see it is defined as a “ disability”    My question is this – is a condition of marginally higher blood pressure which has been effectively treated by a low dosage medication a disability  [ as defined by your company] ?   I see no definition of the term “disability” in your literature, nor in your email . Nor do I feel that I am in anyway disabled.
Please advise
regards
Ian xxxxxx

ed villas

have received some info that an expat organization is offering Group rates w/blue cross of Philippines.

you must be a member of this "group" in order to get the group rate

(at this time they dont have the 100,members needed to get the group rate)

of what i understood, some exemptions will be made for preexisting issues.

i will post the name of this organization if the forum allows so that others may contact them

NOSOCALPINOY

have received some info that an expat organization is offering Group rates w/Blue Cross of Philippines.

you must be a member of this "group" in order to get the group rate

(at this time they don't have the 100,members needed to get the group rate)

of what i understood, some exemptions will be made for preexisting issues.

i will post the name of this organization if the forum allows so that others may contact them

I would consider joining Blue Cross of the Philippines if their group rates have substantial annual premium savings on plans that have "no cash" layout and are not too wishy washy concerning their pre-existing condition clause! I've read on other forums who are BC members and their pre-existing condition was accepted after a year, but their premiums were later increased by 20% more! :idontknow:   

Sven

Is there any particular reason why you are not directing this question at A+ insurance?

I have asked them, and they say:

"MAI is currently expanding a billing services networks with numbers of medical facilities in South East Asia. Most of the listed or non-listed hospitals will accept the letter of guarantee payment issued by either MAI or our local providers. The updated list of hospitals network should be uploaded accordingly.

Meanwhile, you may access to any medical facilities for concerned medical condition. For any outpatient claim, an insured is required to self-pay and filing a claim along with the eligible document (i.e. duly completed claim form, medical statement with exact diagnosis, list of medication, itemized invoices, and proof of payment). These document can be scanned and submitted to us for claim process.

For schedule hospitalization, an insured should have the treating doctor to complete the cost estimation form and provide us a medical report in order to confirm an authorization for Guarantee Services. Kindly be reminded that all submission of cost estimation form and medical report must be 15 day prior to admission."

That sounds reassuring... But I guess I'm still a bit worried what would happen in an emergency.

Skywalker

"Kindly be reminded that all submission of cost estimation form and medical report must be 15 day prior to admission."

That's a strange one.  If you give 15 days notice of a condition, doesn't that make it pre-existing?   :cool:

Monsoon

3.1 PRE-EXISTING CONDITION: Any Pre-Existing Condition shall only be covered after one year from the time an Insured Person has been included in the Policy, provided that there is no failure to disclose, misrepresent or conceal, material information in the original Application or Application for reinstatement. Notwithstanding the disclosure by the Insured Person of a Pre-Existing Condition, the Company may permanently exclude from cover a specific medical condition or Disability upon written notice to the Insured Person.

She is a master at composition I see...

Anyway, I don't care what these assholes at BC Philippines say or try to show you in writing to get you to buy their policy. They will do whatever possible to not pay you when it comes to genuine ailments. Very recently I had a friend of mine who has had BC for 5 years here go into surgery. She was made to pay it all because they said it was a 'preexisting condition'. So this one year nonsense is all bullshit. They know that your only recourse is litigation (good luck). Who are you going to complain to? The Insurance regulatory board of the Philippines? You are better off addressing your complaints to a troupe of monkeys at the zoo.