The retired US Marine killed in Tagaytay on Christmas 2011 update

jbt2012

My best friend was killed in Tagaytay in December 2011 on Christmas Eve, while his wife and her Boyfriend took everyone out of the house for a trip to a local resort about and hour away.  James Kakara was killed by his wife and her BF, and pleaded guilty in court.  She has had a child born from this union,  I have been informed she will get away with this Murder, unless 1 of his relatives push the case.  I have always thought Murder 1,  was Murder 1 in any country in the world, but apparently not in the Philippines. Jim was 62 years old when he was killed.  There was so much corruption involved, his wife was able to have his body Cremated within 24 hours of the body being discovered. The Coroner's report was a total shame.  And he was paid P500,000 for his report. Funny that it was reported he had 2 kidneys and their weight listed on the report.  That would have been hard to do unless he regrew 1 before he was killed, he weighted around 350 lbs and the scar from the removal of the kidney was very large.  I would know, Jim liked his hot tub, and didn't wear clothes when he used it. Due to Jims age he does not have many living relatives left. And most of them would prefer not to travel to the Philippines and deal with the government mind games, and corruption.  

Anyone have any suggestions?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jbt2012

• smokey

• JamesMusslewhite

• Davaoeno

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This very thing also happens in our own 1st world countries. The dark side of human nature transcends ethnicity, social standing, inherent genes, or societal  upbringing. Geed, desperation, evil inten

its crazy first NO jury so as a foreigner you on the outside looking in ... second if no one presses charges there is NO crime....bet you dont see that on the tourist info sheet ..

A guy wearing a black motorcycle helmet.  It is the Filipino way I think.

JamesMusslewhite

I understand how to feel probably more than most. All I can tell you is keep posting information about your friend. Try to post on Philippine expat forums as he may have friends or family seeking information and your post do show up in the search engines, and if they are they can find the information. Try to go to the PNP and talk to the investigators who are the investigators in charge of the case and ask if you can have copies of any documents because you are trying to post them so his family back in the States can see the information and perhaps help with his case. You will find they will probably be more than happy to assist you. If the wife did not sign a release of information form than the PNP can not share information directly with the family back in the States, as this requires permission from the spouse. The investigators can share information with you and you can post it in a thread dedicated to your friend and his murder. This is a loophole both you and the investigators can exploit to get information out to the public.

When I started the thread on the Canadian Harry Doyle who died with very similar complications, it was the forum thread that allowed them to locate me through my facebook account. I was contacted by his family back in Canada as well as his friends and even newspaper reporters. There were also expats who knew him who had information about him that they wanted to have shared with the investigators. It works if you are willing to start the project. Keep your friends name alive as long as possible and document the information of his case and update it when ever possible. I am sorry for the lose of you friend and to hear of the senseless death of a fellow Marine. I hope you well and I hope his family can find closure.

• Like 1
Bill H

• Like 2
smokey

its crazy first NO jury so as a foreigner you on the outside looking in ... second if no one presses charges there is NO crime....bet you dont see that on the tourist info sheet ..

• Like 3

Just so everyone knows I am no tourist. I have spent over 30 years in the Philippines and speak Tagalog fluently.  I just could not believe you can get away with murder just because A relative of the victim does show up in the court.  Jim had friends all over the Philippines, and help many Filipinos The NBI, and some government officials who where friends of his have been pushing the case. There was a large Parade in Tagaytay in 2012 for him.  But it seems everyone has just giving up on Justice.  Some one in the group that helped kill him has kill 2 others from the group,  because they said they would talk if not paid.  I guess no relative has come forward for the Pinoy side either. 

Yes I have seen 2 or 3 of these hit myself.  But this murder was done in the house while the poor guy was in bed, and his fake leg more than 20 feet away from him.   Even a young healthy  US Marine would have a hard time again those oods. He was beaten in the head with a pipe.

I understand how to feel probably more than most. All I can tell you is keep posting information about your friend. Try to post on Philippine expat forums as he may have friends or family seeking information and your post do show up in the search engines, and if they are they can find the information. Try to go to the PNP and talk to the investigators who are the investigators in charge of the case and ask if you can have copies of any documents because you are trying to post them so his family back in the States can see the information and perhaps help with his case. You will find they will probably be more than happy to assist you. If the wife did not sign a release of information form than the PNP can not share information directly with the family back in the States, as this requires permission from the spouse. The investigators can share information with you and you can post it in a thread dedicated to your friend and his murder. This is a loophole both you and the investigators can exploit to get information out to the public.

When I started the thread on the Canadian Harry Doyle who died with very similar complications, it was the forum thread that allowed them to locate me through my facebook account. I was contacted by his family back in Canada as well as his friends and even newspaper reporters. There were also expats who knew him who had information about him that they wanted to have shared with the investigators. It works if you are willing to start the project. Keep your friends name alive as long as possible and document the information of his case and update it when ever possible. I am sorry for the lose of you friend and to hear of the senseless death of a fellow Marine. I hope you well and I hope his family can find closure.

There where numerous posts and comments here right after it happened.  And 1 of your members suggested it was the Wife

This is the guy that had sold his electric wheelchair and had the cash in the house while his wife and her family went on vacation and left him home alone---isn't it ???

Edited by KID
ThomsonJr

It seems like you are the one who should be pushing the case, even though it's risky, you can try to be discreet... Might cost you alot of money and/or time to get real and serious justice but it might be worth it if he really is your best friend and if he doesn't have any family left.

This is the guy that had sold his electric wheelchair and had the cash in the house while his wife and her family went on vacation and left him home alone---isn't it ???

yes that is correct.  

It seems like you are the one who should be pushing the case, even though it's risky, you can try to be discreet... Might cost you a lot of money and/or time to get real and serious justice but it might be worth it if he really is your best friend and if he doesn't have any family left.I have done what i can from here in the States.  Some of the government officials have told me that if I push too hard it may interrupt the case. I think they are bullshit but I can't do much from th US

smokey

Yes I have seen 2 or 3 of these hit myself.  But this murder was done in the house while the poor guy was in bed, and his fake leg more than 20 feet away from him.   Even a young healthy  US Marine would have a hard time again those oods. He was beaten in the head with a pipe.

he is referring to justice local style..

tokyoman

My best friend was killed in Tagaytay in December 2011 on Christmas Eve, while his wife and her Boyfriend took everyone out of the house for a trip to a local resort about and hour away.  James Kakara was killed by his wife and her BF, and pleaded guilty in court.  She has had a child born from this union,  I have been informed she will get away with this Murder, unless 1 of his relatives push the case.  I have always thought Murder 1,  was Murder 1 in any country in the world, but apparently not in the Philippines. Jim was 62 years old when he was killed.  There was so much corruption involved, his wife was able to have his body Cremated within 24 hours of the body being discovered. The Coroner's report was a total shame.  And he was paid P500,000 for his report. Funny that it was reported he had 2 kidneys and their weight listed on the report.  That would have been hard to do unless he regrew 1 before he was killed, he weighted around 350 lbs and the scar from the removal of the kidney was very large.  I would know, Jim liked his hot tub, and didn't wear clothes when he used it. Due to Jims age he does not have many living relatives left. And most of them would prefer not to travel to the Philippines and deal with the government mind games, and corruption.  

Sorry for your loss

But did James let onto you at anytime that his marriage was in shatters or he felt his life was in danger?

• Like 1
mikewright

Can his embassy intervene?  Wouldn't think it would be a good look if one of their citizens is murdered and they just sat back doing nothing. If there is corruption at the local level, surely the the embassy would have the contacts to raise the matter at a higher level?

Edited by mikewright
  • Like 2
smokey

Can his embassy intervene?  Wouldn't think it would be a good look if one of their citizens is murdered and they just sat back doing nothing. If there is corruption at the local level, surely the the embassy would have the contacts to raise the matter at a higher level?

they wont do anything and say its the law of our host .... there is very little justice for anyone even the locals and that is why they dont get mad they get even