14 Balikbayan boxes or a 20ft container ?

smokey

When we moved here in 2011 we shipped 60 LBC boxes. If I had it to do over again, knowing what I know now, I would have shipped 20. The only thing you can't buy here that you could bring is food. We have a 22 cf side by side refrig, a good washing machine, and we don't miss anything but food. 55 and 70 inch tvs???? What kind of room will you put them in? The rooms here are usually small. We did bring a 40 inch LCD tv, but we checked it in as luggage. $150 from Seattle to Manila, $150 from Manila to Cebu for the oversize, and $650 at Costco. That was a good decision, there are no tvs here at any price I can find equal to it. We brought a lot of cook books which I am now in the process of giving away because we are moving to a smaller house.

There is nothing that I wished I had brought that I didn't. But do bring good can openers, dishes, pots and pans. Don't bring toasters. My kitchen aid lasted three days plugged into the transformer. My microwave is still going fine, but I wish I had not brought it.

We are moving back to the states in a few years, so I might not be the one to ask. If your a reader, buy a kindle and don't bring your books.

i wish i had a 70 inch LCD..  so i can see winning willie girls up close and life size ....

• Like 1
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jonny

• smokey

• SomeRandomGuy

• Kabisay-an gid

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

things that are way over priced in cebu .....  lazy boy chairs.... real bed .... not a foam copy..... a real sized refrigerator ... a nice 51 to 70 inch tv... a nice leather couch for the sala... coff

I did all of the same planning when I moved here.  I had my things packed, shipped in a 20 footer and delivered.  Glad I did!  Happy to have MY things and they would have cost a lot more here, but a b

I've been here 5 weeks and have been through some of the furniture and appliance stores with a view to buy vs. rent a furnished place.  I have also been in almost all the malls in Davao looking at stu

A_Simple_Man

I've been here 5 weeks

No one can give you a very intelligent answer to your question

I have only been here 6 years but I will attempt to give you a semi intelligent answer

We would rather use the container as we can pack more into it, taking the beds etc. , but would the savings of not needing to buy replacement larger items be lost in the costs of the customs clearance ?

The things I miss most about 'the west' are my Sealy Posturpedic bed, my dependable tools, and comfort foods.  I have not found a Sealy Posturpedic bed here.  The local Mandaue foam mattress is surprisingly good but if I could have shipped my bed it would have been great.  Tools and appliances that work on 110 are not worth bringing (for me) as the hassle of transformers is too bothersome.  Comfort foods are the canned goods and preserved goods that I used to eat regularly and are hard to find here.  Not impossible, just hard to find, so if I was sending a container I would put my bed in it along with an assortment of non electric tools (chainsaw and quality hand tools for example) and stuff the excess space with canned goods and preserved goods that would last me a long time.

In conclusion, I did not need a container and I did not use balikbayan boxes.  The essentials all came with me in two suitcases and I started from scratch here.  Any way you want to do it will work and you will adapt.

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

i wish i had a 70 inch LCD..  so i can see winning willie girls up close and life size ....

Give me a heads up when your in MNL next I can have a couple delivered to your room...

Well as for shipping stuff, if I had to do it over again, I would without a doubt send at least a 20 foot container. Nice furniture is expensive. Well, nice ANYTHING is expensive in the Philippines. I am sure I could have more than paid for the container etc. in savings and have much higher quality stuff in the end.

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 1

My wife and I have walked round all the rooms in our house to note down everything we could put in BB boxes,...and the items that would need to be sold should we go that route. There are many expensive furnishings that we would like to have taken with us, so at this moment it looks like we will indeed be renting a container for the move.

Thanks for all input,....

Still a bit concerned what will happen at the port though,....

still investigating,..

SomeRandomGuy

U have to keep into consideration that  most of us move many many many times before we find somewhere to settle  

Half my mates have lived here  and left here and came back  only to leave again

thebob

Just set up a Jumbotron across the valley!

questsea73

The financially scary part is the fact that with a large container of hundreds or thousands of items and if no legal groundwork for duty free enty you are totally at the mercy of the customs officials.

They are very aware that the shipper has no reasonable option except to pay up full customs/VAT/etc per regulations or negotiate with them for their looking the other way.  No one is going to ship a 20 or 40 footer with contents back to origin.

The only good side is....do you think the customs officials want to open hundreds of boxes and value hundreds/thousands of items under a tropical sun--or in a tin-roofed customs shed with customer disputing many of their value judgments?  They want the easy way too.

Ken

• Like 1
smokey

Just set up a Jumbotron across the valley!

i have a projector set up already but nothing like a nice large tv.....

smokey

My wife and I have walked round all the rooms in our house to note down everything we could put in BB boxes,...and the items that would need to be sold should we go that route. There are many expensive furnishings that we would like to have taken with us, so at this moment it looks like we will indeed be renting a container for the move.

Thanks for all input,....

Still a bit concerned what will happen at the port though,....

still investigating,..

there is a broker in the RAO building upstairs its going to cost you at least 40,000 p but you can keep it under 80,000p which still makes it a great big pile of stuff you can use when will your container be shipped 

Edited by smokey

I wouldn't mind paying 40,000 p for clearing my container off the port.  Just don't want to see it escalating way too far upwards if they think they can. 

I consider myself a good communicator, and can make friends no problem at all in any situation,...but will this be enough ???

miles-high

i wish i had a 70 inch LCD.. so i can see winning willie girls up close and life size ....

You would be better off with a 4K (or 8K by the time you move?) TV for the intended purpose... ;) The price is coming down fast, just put one in your container... and it's not yet sold in the Philippines so you will be the first one to show it off... :D

SomeRandomGuy

ha     no      u are talking about corrupt officals   and u are just another kano       

u can be as friendly as u want   but they will have u over a barrel and  they know  u will have to pay whatever it is they ask u to do so...

I know a mate that brought over water filters here for the poor area's around cebu    when they items came here the customs guys wanted over 200 thousand peso's 

the organization that had bought these for this country to give to them  did not have that sort of money

where are those filters now?    i think the customs guys still have them

smokey

I wouldn't mind paying 40,000 p for clearing my container off the port.  Just don't want to see it escalating way too far upwards if they think they can. 

I consider myself a good communicator, and can make friends no problem at all in any situation,...but will this be enough ???

put out some feelers is your wife in cebu ???  there is a member who just brought a container to cebu like a few months ago that had the name of the broker on the thread ????

so who was the member who just brought a container over... come on roger did which broker did he use and there was another guy .... 

Edited by smokey
Knowdafish

put out some feelers is your wife in cebu ???  there is a member who just brought a container to cebu like a few months ago that had the name of the broker on the thread ????

so who was the member who just brought a container over... come on roger did which broker did he use and there was another guy .... 

This one?

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/53718-customs-broker/page-3?hl=%2Bshipping+%2Bcontainer#entry619962

smokey

the customs  guys name and address is in that thread a few reply up from the one you show.... johnny there you go great place to start