14 Balikbayan boxes or a 20ft container ?

I just got a great deal through my old work-place for a 20ft container, sent from UK to Cebu , and it's the same price as sending 14 BB boxes to the same .

Obviously the boxes won't carry the larger items in the house such as beds , fridges, sofa etc, but we could sell them here and buy new over there.

The decision we need to make is do we just pack smaller essentials and have them delivered straight through customs and transported to our house, or do we use the container and worry about how much more it will cost to get it out of the port ?

We would rather use the container as we can pack more into it, taking the beds etc. , but would the savings of not needing to buy replacement larger items be lost in the costs of the customs clearance ?

What would you do ???

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jonny

• smokey

• SomeRandomGuy

• Kabisay-an gid

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

things that are way over priced in cebu .....  lazy boy chairs.... real bed .... not a foam copy..... a real sized refrigerator ... a nice 51 to 70 inch tv... a nice leather couch for the sala... coff

I did all of the same planning when I moved here.  I had my things packed, shipped in a 20 footer and delivered.  Glad I did!  Happy to have MY things and they would have cost a lot more here, but a b

I've been here 5 weeks and have been through some of the furniture and appliance stores with a view to buy vs. rent a furnished place.  I have also been in almost all the malls in Davao looking at stu

smokey

I

I just got a great deal through my old work-place for a 20ft container, sent from UK to Cebu , and it's the same price as sending 14 BB boxes to the same .

Obviously the boxes won't carry the larger items in the house such as beds , fridges, sofa etc, but we could sell them here and buy new over there.

The decision we need to make is do we just pack smaller essentials and have them delivered straight through customs and transported to our house, or do we use the container and worry about how much more it will cost to get it out of the port ?

We would rather use the container as we can pack more into it, taking the beds etc. , but would the savings of not needing to buy replacement larger items be lost in the costs of the customs clearance ?

What would you do ???

things that are way over priced in cebu .....  lazy boy chairs.... real bed .... not a foam copy..... a real sized refrigerator ... a nice 51 to 70 inch tv... a nice leather couch for the sala... coffee ,, TP ... plumbing fixtures.... a water treatment unit ... a water heater . a few ceiling fans... a nice vacuum .. go with the container think ahead of all the things you will wish you would of sent 

Edited by smokey
  • Like 3
BFHammer

It seems to me a 20ft container would be filled pretty quickly by forum members requested items.  I can't see wasting space on beds etc unless you have a high end item like a tempurpedic. 

I have no boots on the ground advise though.  :nuke:

Cannonball

What would you do ???

I have no experience with Balikbayan boxes, but if it was me I believe I would put my stuff in storage and buy new in the PI until I decided for sure if I was happy here... I'm sure you could buy most of the items cheaper than transporting them half way around the world... I did import something once and rememebr it was a bit if a hassle and it ended up costing me a little more than a third of what I paid for it new including shipping, so it wasn't cheap after I got it here... it would have been a little cheaper to have just bought the item in the PI... There are other members here that can give you some concrete advice, but my experience was it would have been sheaper to buy it here and allot less hassle. Good luck.

questsea73

I've been here 5 weeks and have been through some of the furniture and appliance stores with a view to buy vs. rent a furnished place.  I have also been in almost all the malls in Davao looking at stuff here and there randomly.

If you have the stuff already-- in terms of what it would cost to replace it here it is a no-brainer: bring it---if you don't count customs/VAT assessments at port of entry.  No way to predict what you will be assessed.  I assume you will pack/load yourself; otherwise there is a big cost incurred in professionals doing it for you. The way to summarize what is here  in PI is simply: you will get a lot less for the same  price or you will get a lot less for more.  The chair/couches here are all lowback (for shorter people) and I consider of little utility for average size westerners.  Exception is Lazyboystuff, a major quality USA brand I have been told is assembled in Thailand, and shipped in here to the few distributor(s) who handle the line.

It may well be possible if you are staying in Manila and know where to go there you can solve most of the quality problems by spending 2 to 3 times the cost of the stuff in your country.  That's if you were buying stuff in your country new.

My frame of reference is USA in terms of costs.  I know nothing about Scotland.  But Customs officials add the cost of the ocean freight to the assessed value of contents(or should), so if you can prove a minimal cost for the ocean freight you are ahead there.

On the other hand, many on the forum say refrigerators, washing machines, tv's, dryers, freezers do not work well or efficiently here unless the 220v and hertz match perfectly, and the refrigerator tropicalized--so the value of bringing them if you can get a good price selling there is questionable.  If you decide to eliminate these along with motor vehicles, then you may be down to mostly b/box items.

No one can give you a very intelligent answer to your question, but I will tell you that if you want quality items you are looking at buying imported items at great cost here.  And I don't mean imported from China.   Most stuff here seems to be made in China and the stuff made here is not the quality I am familiar with in USA.

And it is correct about not making a major shipment unless you are absolutely sure you are going to stay.  Visiting vs. tolerating what you have to tolerate 24 hours to live here full time long term are 2 different things.

Ken

• Like 1
samatm

Container/  10ft even cheaper ?

Samatm,...don't think there's much differance in the 10ft and the 20ft. pricewise.  The reason I am getting a good deal is because the company I contracted to sent thousands of containers all around the world, Manila included !

The price was for 3 hours of self-packing the container, which should be enough time if its all at the factory ready for the wagon.

It's the customs clearance part that I'm really worried about. I read that you can go there yourself and get it through if you can talk sensibly to the guys there. But on the other hand you might just be there at the wrong time with the wrong guy and it will cost a fortune ??

smokey

Samatm,...don't think there's much differance in the 10ft and the 20ft. pricewise.  The reason I am getting a good deal is because the company I contracted to sent thousands of containers all around the world, Manila included !

The price was for 3 hours of self-packing the container, which should be enough time if its all at the factory ready for the wagon.

It's the customs clearance part that I'm really worried about. I read that you can go there yourself and get it through if you can talk sensibly to the guys there. But on the other hand you might just be there at the wrong time with the wrong guy and it will cost a fortune ??

if its a move to the philippines are you married?  can you put it in your wifes name.... cost is between 45,000 p to 200,000p depending on the customs guy you pick  we paid 85,000p to get a 40 footer released and dropped off at our house ... 

Edited by smokey

Yes I'm married and it will be in my wife's name with only household goods on the packing list.

if you are sure you are going to stay in the Philippines for a long time, I would ship all your nice stuff because if you sell it, You will probably get a low price for it and when you replace it in the Philippines you will pay a very high price like people say. Thats only if you have nice good quality stuff.

I still have my house in Canada and I,m not sure what the future will be in regards to living full time in the Philippines but if I decided to live here full time I would want my stuff from Canada shipped here. You also got the bonus of getting that great deal on a 20 footer and that would erase the need for all those BB boxes. You will see when you go shopping here there is not the choices you have back home and like some people said here the quality is questionable

thebob

The container is a no brainer.

Start looking in car boot/garage sales now for some used bicycles, power tools, audio especially older large speakers and amplifiers, gym equipment, computers ect. Many of these things are much cheaper/better quality in the UK than are available here. Especially tools which fetch a very good price here.

You can't bring oversized items in a balikbayan box! You are lucky that UK is 230V 50hz the same as here so you don't have the electrical problems that US people do.

• Like 1

Hehe,...I don't think I need to go to car boot sales,..I have enough stuff in my own 2 garages to fill a container twice over !, and our attic is packed full too (mostly junk )

Yeah,..it just seems a waste to sell good quality items here only to buy cheaper quality replacements over there.

Just earlier tonight I emailed a company asking for a price for door to door container prices,...just to see what their price was for including getting it cleared through the customs at the port,...will wait and see what figure they come up with.

• Like 1
Lordblacknail

When we moved here in 2011 we shipped 60 LBC boxes. If I had it to do over again, knowing what I know now, I would have shipped 20. The only thing you can't buy here that you could bring is food. We have a 22 cf side by side refrig, a good washing machine, and we don't miss anything but food. 55 and 70 inch tvs???? What kind of room will you put them in? The rooms here are usually small. We did bring a 40 inch LCD tv, but we checked it in as luggage. $150 from Seattle to Manila, $150 from Manila to Cebu for the oversize, and $650 at Costco. That was a good decision, there are no tvs here at any price I can find equal to it. We brought a lot of cook books which I am now in the process of giving away because we are moving to a smaller house.

There is nothing that I wished I had brought that I didn't. But do bring good can openers, dishes, pots and pans. Don't bring toasters. My kitchen aid lasted three days plugged into the transformer. My microwave is still going fine, but I wish I had not brought it.

We are moving back to the states in a few years, so I might not be the one to ask. If your a reader, buy a kindle and don't bring your books.

The container is a no brainer.

Start looking in car boot/garage sales now for some used bicycles, power tools, audio especially older large speakers and amplifiers, gym equipment, computers ect. Many of these things are much cheaper/better quality in the UK than are available here. Especially tools which fetch a very good price here.

You can't bring oversized items in a balikbayan box! You are lucky that UK is 230V 50hz the same as here so you don't have the electrical problems that US people do.

50hz items is not always okay here...we send a 40' container (from DK 4 years ago...private household, no taxes paid, but around P100.000 for paper & handling delivered to door). Compressor in the chest freezer did not like 60hz, our waterpump (garden) is running but don´t like 60hz (overheats and switch off from time to time) and the microwave timer sometimes running backwards, which it never did before (not sure if it´s the 60hz). We stored most of our furnitures in a bodega area we have, while repairing our house - 6 month later it was all eaten by termites. We packed all on pallets - 2 storey so it was FULL and expected to rent a forklift to empty it fast - there is a lot in a 40 footer. Well, I know better today..it was not possible to rent a forklift here at that time, so all unloading by hand. Lesson learned.

Conclusion;   nevermore_raven_by_66myth-d53lf22.jpg

Rocketman

I did all of the same planning when I moved here.  I had my things packed, shipped in a 20 footer and delivered.  Glad I did!  Happy to have MY things and they would have cost a lot more here, but a bigger deal is I couldn't have gotten the same stuff - choices are very minimal.  I could have shipped less, but the cost difference wasn't much.  I got a SRRV visa so, paid no tax and no "extra" charges.  I WAS surprised at that!  The whole ordeal was painless!  The local company I used was great.  PM me if you need the info.

• Like 2