BI LAUNCHES LONG-STAY VISA 14 June 2013

Foreigners intending to stay longer in the country may now avail of a six-month, long-stay tourist visa that will be launched next week by the Bureau of Immigration (BI).

BI Commissioner Ricardo A. David, Jr. also announced the introduction of a new visa sticker that will replace the wet stamp used by the Bureau in implementing extensions of stay in the passports of foreign tourists.

David said the Long Stay Visitor Visa Extension (LSVVE) project was launched to spur tourist arrivals in the country by giving foreigners the privilege to prolong their stay here without the need to frequent the BI office.

Presently, the BI grants foreign tourists a maximum stay of two months each time they apply for visa extensions.

“Through this long stay visa, we expect lesser crowding in our offices due to the decreased volume of visa extension applicants,” David said.

As for the new visa sticker, the BI chief said it will prevent the proliferation of fake visa extension stamps that has victimized many foreigners.

He disclosed that the sticker has security and tracking features that cannot be copied.

“It will also speed up transaction in our visa section, allow more efficient tracking of records and faster detection of forged and tampered stamps,” The BI chief added.

According to David, the projects were initiated after meetings were meetings between the BI and Department of Tourism and Department of Foreign Affairs were held on what policy reforms can be initiated to further attract more foreign visitors to the country.

The tourist department had said it is aiming to increase volume of tourist arrival to 10 million by 2016.###

• Like 2
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• no one

• johnboy999

• USMC-Retired

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The main difference is that this one was announced by the BI themselves and the 30 day one was announced by DOT. I believe this one will actually go into effect and while it may cost a little extra th

If someone has issue with BI and find service lacking I suggest they go home. Reason is it only gets worse from there. They are the best, most organized agency in the Philippines. So save yourself st

Wow, they make one bold step forward in tourist visas and some of you think that means they're revamping the entire BoI.

Skywalker

I wonder if this new sticker is like the Cambodia/Vietnam ones that take an entire page.  My passport (valid for 10 years) was full up after only 5 years, and was the extra pages edition - unlike the Americans, we UK chaps can't add pages after the passport as been issued.

Was any mention of price made?  Is this a replacement visa for the 59 day one?

Isn't there then a charge made to leave the Country if you stay 6 months?

and I wonder if there is now going to be a 21 day , a 59 day and the 6 month options, and if there will be any change to the current requirement to leave the country after 16 months. ( visa run )

Headshot

I wonder if this change will be implemented at the same time the change from 21 to 30 days free is implemented? Is anybody holding their breath on this to happen anytime soon?

• Like 2
Wolfpack

It is certainly a step in the right direction...

• Like 2
Paul

Is anybody holding their breath on this to happen anytime soon?

Well, they stated "next week". I still wouldn't hold my breath that long. :D

• Like 2
rainymike

Progress! 

But passports and visas are so old school. Back in the day, we were implementing student ID cards that had ID, financial info, etc. on them. I imagine some schools even shared that info with the government.

Instead of giving the Philippines weapons, I'd vote for a shared universal ID card/passport/social security/banking card system.  Any illusion of privacy these days is just that an illusion. Might as well make things a lot simpler for people. I probably leave more footprints via my electronic spending patterns, emails, facebook, etc. than any passport could ever track. 

God, I love big brother!

Anyways, a good step forward for the 6 month visa.

• Like 1
Mckchrls

Sounds promising, early days information wise.

I'll be interested in the new fees structure to see how attractive it is ...

SkyMan

Wow, they make one bold step forward in tourist visas and some of you think that means they're revamping the entire BoI.

• Like 4
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

i heard they were gonna put down new carpet too

• Like 3
woodchopper

Hello,,i read recently of the introduction of 6 month visa for the Phils!

Has any member/reader any info as 2 whether this visa is available and the cost,,at Cebu airport on arrival?

Cheers!

ellenbrook2001

wowww that has good one cannot wait for that one if they implimented or maybe delay again?????????????

SkyMan

i heard they were gonna put down new carpet too

Only in the family members and other guests lounge.

• Like 1
shadow

I predict that within a few months of implementation they will be "sorry Sir, no stock" on stickers!

Headshot

I predict that within a few months of implementation they will be "sorry Sir, no stock" on stickers!

Yeah, I hope they have a backup plan...like a stamp with a number six on it. Not that this is going to affect me.

• Like 1