Gross Profit Rate - Sari 2x

tokyoman

get a grip no children means so dosh when your old..... Social security and fun at the same time..... 

You must be one strict catholic

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• billy

• no one

• Bill H

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

>>> How much should it cost to open a successful Sari Sari?   If you wanted to do it right, you should look at a 7 Eleven or Mini Mart franchise.   Sooner or later, these 24 hr convenienc

I don't think that is true at all. Filipinos in general are not that snobby apart from the small number of urban types and the small number that are relatively rich and who may get ideas above their n

John,   Read all Whippy's posts, he's writing a lot of sense.  Expatriates do not, in the main, understand the Filipino market.  Sari sari stores and carinderias are some of the most competitive sma

Posted Images

Knowdafish

I still can't get over the fact that Sari-Saris sell cigs by the stick. What's next? Beer by the shot? 

ThomsonJr

A bunch of folks keep trying to do that here in the states. 3 gas stations by me have changed ownership 4-5 times in the last 7 years because they keep attempting to do it as "mini mart" while they sit next to BP, Holiday, or Kwik Trip. 

Their places are always shabby and look like the 70's so who would pick them over the nice clean super stations?  The coffee is cold instead of hot, the snacks are more expensive and often some crap brand you never heard of.

People think they can save a few bucks reinventing the wheel and all they usually do is give themselves a heart attack from stress and lose every penny because learning how not to fail was already paid by the franchises in blood and sweat.  Paying a little more for less stress and a proven system is well worth it. 

I will laugh very hard when you open your first 7-11 in the Philippines and fail. Same thing might happen to me but i'll lose a few million less than you... ;) In the Philippines nobody cares about 7-11 unless they are from metro Manila and even there aren't that many 7-11's. 

Edited by ThomsonJr
udonthani

I've been in loads of 7/11s in my life - but most times, in Thailand and Malaysia. I never saw them anywhere in the Phlippines except only in Angeles. Not sure whether or not they will catch on just like that, all over the country. I doubt it.

ThomsonJr

I've been in loads of 7/11s in my life - but most times, in Thailand and Malaysia. I never saw them anywhere in the Phlippines except only in Angeles. Not sure whether or not they will catch on just like that, all over the country. I doubt it.

They have recently opened up the first 7-11 in Cebu City and theres a few more that have opened since then. Like I said, because 7-11 is not yet popular, it would be a waste of money to open up such a franchise, people don't know it yet... a walk-in sari sari with some extras that other sari x2s don't have will be as much of a succes as any 7-11 right now in the Philippines.

udonthani

I just don't see 7/11 having this automatic right to go into the Phlilippines and make a mint. It's going to be tough for them. They have serious competiton already.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

all they need to do is put in free wifi .. maybe some charging stations

BFHammer

I will laugh very hard when you open your first 7-11 in the Philippines and fail. Same thing might happen to me but i'll lose a few million less than you... ;) In the Philippines nobody cares about 7-11 unless they are from metro Manila and even there aren't that many 7-11's. 

Why would I open a 7-11?  I've owned several businesses including a retail store and I'd never do retail again.  Nor do I fail often because I actually pay attention to what people say or write.  It doesn't matter if it's 7-11, KFC, Apple, or whoever else.  They will always succeed even when they have failed at times because they have a system in place that minimizes loss.   A few million pesos is chump change compared to buying knowledge, systems, and advisers.  

That is the difference between people that do, and those who have the crab mentality.

ThomsonJr

7-11 has been trying to get into the Philippines, let's see in 10 years if they'll have as many stores as in Thailand or Taiwan, but I doubt it since they've been in the country already since the 1980's. There is literally one on every corner of the street in Taiwan and Thailand. What I did appreciate in Taiwan is that instead of only offering hotdogs they also serve Chinese dumplings and meat boiled on a stick, also there were tables and chairs inside, which was actually pretty good especially at midnight after a few drinks. I unfortunately think that prices in 7-11's in the Philippines are/will be more expensive than your average sari-sari and most Filipinos are on a very tight budget so they won't be happy about the idea of having to spend more money on cigarettes or a beer only because it's a branded store and has aircon running in it while the sari-sari store at 5 mins walking distance sells them cheaper. Of course opening a 7-11 in a place like IT Park in Cebu City would not be a bad idea, for abvious reasons.

In Taiwan, even in smaller cities and areas far away from the city centre there are many 7-11 stores. I don't think they'll be able to replicate that success in the Philippines, even though they are already well established and expanding their territories... I don't think i'll be seeing 7-11's on every corner of the street in places like Southern Leyte or Negros Oriental any time soon.

Edited by ThomsonJr
Bill H

7-11 Is bad, and i actually dislike their land-grab here in Cebu. Cause they are more expensive and besides looking 'clean' don't offer anything more then what you need. So as a good consumer i just walk past them towards the next establishment that sells what i need.

Thoughts on building a general merchandise store, if you do it correctly. With decent personal and sell products everyone needs you might be able to grow big. Truly depends on your location. I have seen stores in the province that are very big and sell about anything just because there is no to limited competition (Good plus on it is, they also supply all the smaller 'neighboorhood' sari's, just because there is no gaisano etc). Figuring that most of us on this forum are probably in Cebu or the vicinity then you get the problem of competing with a shitload of other sari'saris.

My dibs, unless you have the will power to sit and do your bookkeeping every evening yourself don't bother with it, the most succesfull sari's i've seen all have a somewhat educated owner and a 'shopkeep'. But the owner is doing her bookkeeping and stocks every single night (by hand, painstakingly i guess). It's a good income for them i guess but not sure if the average foreigner wants to do a lot of handson work for such little returns.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but if you see a large store in the Provence and it's doing well; there is more than likely a politician behind that operation that protects it and refuses to allow anything that even remotely smites of competition from getting a permit to operate.  Such is the way things are run here.

Bill H

I still can't get over the fact that Sari-Saris sell cigs by the stick. What's next? Beer by the shot? 

No, the beer is sold in small cups, it's the brandy and rhum they sell by the shot!  Everyone knows that, you must be new.   lol

• Like 1