Balikbayan Box for Importing?

JohnSurrey

I was just wondering... anyone use like LBC Balikbayan box to import lots of small items for resale?

I presume this is illegal or taxable if BIR find out or something?

RogerDat

Greetings! I think you hit the nail on the head in the second sentence,as far as I know anyway.

BUT if you send the items opened, and packageing in a seperate shipment, it might be hard to prove. PACKAGING IN A SECOND SHIPMENT I SAID.

Edited by RogerDat
udonthani

not sure how it can be illegal if the stuff is not contraband. Some of the large amount of chocolate I sent over in a balikbayan box ended up embellishing one of the family's rice candy stall down the local market. A Snickers bar that costs 25p (15 pesos) in the UK is a snip in the Philippines, at 30 or even 40 pesos.

johnboy999

Directly from the Philippines Customs website.........

http://customs.gov.ph/faqs/balikbayan-boxes/

2. WHAT ARE ALLOWED IN “BALIKBAYAN BOXES”?

Non-commercial goods or goods not in commercial quantity strictly for personal use only, such as: wearing apparel, clothing, foodstuffs/grocery items/canned goods; the value of which must not exceed US$500.00.

and from the DTI website.........

http://www.dti.gov.ph/dti/index.php?p=653

• What items that should not be sent through balikbayan boxes?
The following items are not allowed to be included in the box: 
1.    currencies, checks, money orders and traveler’s checks
2.    jewelries  
3.    firearms, ammunitions and explosives
4.    prohibited drugs and other substances
5.    p*ornographic materials, gambling cards and toy guns
6.    pirated products i.e. dvd, cd, tapes, etc
7.    items of commercial quantity
udonthani

have you seen the size of balikbayan boxes though. Even the 'small' ones that cost £60 to ship door to door London to Mindanao (less for Luzon) are quite big. Big enough for somebody to set up a stall, and provided they could sell the stuff, take a lot more than 500 dollars worth of pesos. Certainly the things in the box I sent were worth more than $500. I'd be surprised if any boxes of even that that 'small' size sent, by anybody, contained goods worth less than $500.

johnboy999

I don't make the rules, I'm just quoting them so that the OP can see both Philippines customs and the DTI specifically say you cannot legally bring in commercial quantities of goods via balikbayan box.

In my boxes, I had way more than $500 worth of electronics and PC equipment for starters but that was purely for personal use. When you hear about boxes going missing in transit I guess I took a risk, but I used one of the more reputable companies and was all delivered to my door without any losses.

I don't know what the fines/penalties would be for bringing in commercial quantities, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to find out the hard way!

udonthani

any box, is 'commercial quantities', surely. Even the small ones, are big enough to pack out a market stall. How can anybody tell if it is being planned to sell it unless the gear already has price tags on it or something.

RogerDat

Greetings! Recently a Korean store on Mactan was raided for having goods that they had no inport permit for. That is how they catch you, someone reports your goods as inported, or one of the roving customs agents/competator reports you, you got to account where you got the items from, and show tax payments.

It is not worth the hassel if caught.

blaze pontaine

Quantities of the same product can't be brought in.  I can't remember where I saw, I think at a balikbayan drop off place in Los Angeles, but it said you can't have more than 6 of the same thing in one box.  If you have more than 6 they assume you will sell it and then it must be declared for tax purposes.  So for snickers bars, I think you could find a 72 count box of snickers, then ship 6 of those boxes in one balikbayan box and you are staying on the legal side.  For the most part, its to prevent people from stuffing 80 iphones in a balikbayan box. 

• Like 1
mikewright

I was just wondering... anyone use like LBC Balikbayan box to import lots of small items for resale?

We don't send items for resale, but as we have a large family we send lots of the same items. Where I thought we might have problems, such as sending several boxes of wine over, have just spread the items out over several boxes. We have sent up to 10 boxes at a time, usually around Christmas time, through Forex or LBC, have had problems to date.

• 5 months later...

Directly from the Philippines Customs website.........

http://customs.gov.ph/faqs/balikbayan-boxes/

2. WHAT ARE ALLOWED IN “BALIKBAYAN BOXES”?

Non-commercial goods or goods not in commercial quantity strictly for personal use only, such as: wearing apparel, clothing, foodstuffs/grocery items/canned goods; the value of which must not exceed US$500.00.

and from the DTI website.........

http://www.dti.gov.ph/dti/index.php?p=653

• What items that should not be sent through balikbayan boxes?
The following items are not allowed to be included in the box: 
1.    currencies, checks, money orders and traveler’s checks
2.    jewelries  
3.    firearms, ammunitions and explosives
4.    prohibited drugs and other substances
5.    p*ornographic materials, gambling cards and toy guns
6.    pirated products i.e. dvd, cd, tapes, etc
7.    items of commercial quantity

Was told samples are exempt.

smokey

its not a problem till it becomes a problem never ship more then your able to loose...  you can send 1 million boxes and never have one box missing or you can send 3 and all three can become missing...  life is like a box of chocolates.. 

• Like 1
Thalcoozyo

I have LOTS of experience in sending boxes from US to Phils.  Have used LBC and Umac.  Umac is, by far, the best outfit to use. 

Been using Umac exclusively for the past 7 years.

Have been sending 2-3 boxes at a time, sometimes as often as every 10-12 months.

WITHOUT EXCEPTION, my Umac boxes have never been opened by anyone. We seal the boxes in such a manner that we can tell if opened, and has never been opened by anyone. 

Now, I will be the first to agree that, with today's technology, I'm assuming they have all been xray'd and has likely been noted to not have a zillion of the same items packed inside the box. Maybe if the xray shows many, many of the same items, this would trigger a closer inspection? Or maybe I'm being paranoid? These are boxes being sent to a home address, not a business address. That may make a difference? The folk in Manila/Cebu, upon unloading the boat on which the boxes arrive, do not know my house or if it has a Sari-sari out front.