Help with US Passport Replacement and Police Report

lostatlast

Hi, I'm a dual citizen (FilAm) and I've unfortunately lost my passport. I've read some of the threads here about getting mine replaced and I've taken the steps to do so, but I don't have any photocopies of my previous passport, which I need to file a police report as required by the consulate. I was told by authorities in both of the police stations I visited that I needed a DFA certification that I am indeed a US passport holder and that they need my passport details (number, date issued, expiry) in order to file a formal report. So does this mean I need to Manila to request that information or is there some other way I can do that from here? Thank you. 

RogerDat

Greetings!  I can give you the Cebu consulate phone # 32 231 1261

Manila # is 02 528 6300 ext # 2246/2555

Try Monday

Good luck!

USMC-Retired

Good luck and warning to all make a copy of your passport.

You need the number on the passport not really a copy. You can get that number two ways. Hopefully if you used the american passport and not your PH passport. Call the airlines you flew here on if in the last year. Go to PI immigration they may have it on file if you used it when arriving.

Davaoeno

ever opened a bank account and used it for ID ? used it to get utilities installed ?  Figure out every place you have ever used your passport .  I went to Cebu last weekend and they wanted my passport to photocopy 

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Has the consulate specifically required you to file a police report? I have not heard of them not replacing a lost US passport without a police report before. In fact they will cancel a passport reported lost over the phone even without any paperwork.

USMC-Retired

Yes they will require a report when you file for a new one stating it was lost

Sent from my A919i using Tapatalk 2

When my passport was stole.my wife had a lawyer get it taken care of.it took 8 weeks to get it.They have to send the paper work to the US and its take awhile.The lawyer said a week.I guess before 911 the embassy could issue it

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

When my passport was stole.my wife had a lawyer get it taken care of.it took 8 weeks to get it.They have to send the paper work to the US and its take awhile.The lawyer said a week.I guess before 911 the embassy could issue it

A US embassy can still issue temporary passports, valid for up to 1 year. I know because I've had one issued by an embassy in SE Asia, which has since been replaced with a normal passport. I travelled to several countries using that passport. It *IS* a valid passport. You just want to get it replaced with a normal one before you start running into a problem with the '6 months validity' rule most countries have.

I know its a bit late for the OP, but one of the things I do is have pics of mine and my wife's passports and some other critical documents stored electronically on a data storage site so no matter where I am in the world, and no matter what has been stolen from us we can access very good copies of critical documents. If you are paranoid, you can create encrypted packages for the files before uploading them. I did this with copies of our credit cards and some bank info.

Edited by Monsoon
Paul

I have lost (due to theft) two passports, during my years of living in the Philippines. One was my fault for leaving it in a bag on the beach, while my former wife (we were not married at the time) and I went for an early evening swim with friends. That would have been in early 2003, in Dumaguete City, Negros Oriental. The second one was lost when our "little oven", located in Cebu City, was broken into while we were away on a trip.

At no time, I repeat, at NO time, did I ever have to employ any lawyer to do any thing. A Filipino (or any other nationality) lawyer is not needed to get your passport replaced. But, it must be done while you are abroad, before leaving the country you are visiting.

I got an Affidavit of Loss, filled out and notarized locally, and a Police Report. I took those documents, along with a certified copy of my US Birth Certificate, to the US Consular Agency. I recall they had to fill out an application at the time, that the Consular employee helped us to fill out. I was issued a new passport both times. My current passport, in fact, is the most recent replacement for the last one that was stolen in 2005. 

Note that, if you make a habit of "losing" your passport, or having your passport "stolen" too many times, you will only be issued a temporary passport that is valid for just one year (twelve months). Some scamming American tourists are finding that out here in Cambodia. (They are leaving guest houses, in multiple cities, without paying their bills.)