Supply and Install of a couple of split type A/C units?.

austwin

I have taken the plunge and will soon settle the purchase of a Condo on Mactan. The first task at hand will be to purchase and have installed a couple of split type A/C units. Has any body recently purchased and or had them installed recently and can you offer any advice on the same?.

I know suppliers may well also have recommended installers ...has anybody have any good or bad experiences with this?. 

I will be trying to get inverter style units perhaps mitsubishi or fujitsu if available..... any horror stories with regards to brands?.

I have gone back through the "Businesses, Products & Services forums" (18 months) but was not able to find a whole lot of recent information ... Any advice would be appreciated.

Ozepete

Make sure that the evaporator section (indoor part) is evacuated using a proper vacuum pump, BEFORE the valves are opened.

To explain:

These systems usually come in two sections. The outdoor section has most of the mechanical works, has been evacuated and contains the gas that is going to be needed for the thing to work. The indoor section and the interconnecting pipes are usually only with a dry nitrogen holding charge of gas. While connecting this is lost and air can enter so once coupled to the outdoor unit and tightened, the mechanic should evacuate this portion before opening the two valves and freeing the contained gas from the unit into the entire system ready to operate.  

So if the installer turns up without a vacuum pump and gauges, it would be best to piss him off because a refrigeration system with some air contaminating it will run but very inefficiently, consume excess power and will constantly be a problem.

Edited by Ozepete
  • Like 1
miles-high

So if the installer turns up without a vacuum pump and gauges, it would be best to piss him off because a refrigeration system with some air contaminating it will run but very inefficiently, consume excess power and will constantly be a problem.

That was exactly the problem we had a week ago... the installer neglected to vacuum one of the units. I would insist the installer use vacuum pump for 20, 30 min... before he goes home. :)

It was made good under the warranty, nevertheless, it's an annoyance to schedule repair man...

I had 6 a/c"s installed/replaced this year (in NCR not Cebu) and am satisfied with the Carrier inverter sprit type a/c's... If your place is a high-rise condo, make sure there will be enough space for the cleaner to "maneuver" around and a good drain to "wash" the outdoor unit every 6 month or so...

• Like 4
Wolfpack

this is a great question...this is the next home improvement for us...I have been asking a lot of questions...and I am wondering, where is the best place to buy this type of A/C unit...and who installs them when the purchase is made...

Knowdafish

That was exactly the problem we had a week ago... the installer neglected to vacuum one of the units. I would insist the installer use vacuum pump for 20, 30 min... before he goes home. :)

It was made good under the warranty, nevertheless, it's an annoyance to schedule repair man...

I had 6 a/c"s installed/replaced this year (in NCR not Cebu) and am satisfied with the Carrier inverter sprit type a/c's... If your place is a high-rise condo, make sure there will be enough space for the cleaner to "maneuver" around and a good drain to "wash" the outdoor unit every 6 month or so...

I've been reading up on Carrier inverter type aircons. They state they are the most efficient of all. 

http://www.carrier.com.ph/brands/carrier/X-PowerInverterHi-wall.asp

miles-high

where is the best place to buy this type of A/C unit...and who installs them when the purchase is made...

I bought all my appliances, a/c's, stove/ovens, fridges, washers/dryers, Tv's, home theaters, etc. from Abnson's (NCR, they have a branch in Ayala Cebu but I have never been there).

I don't really have any reason to buy anything from Abenson's, as the person in charge of my account is not so young, not so pretty, hehe ;) but we get a good service. Make sure the recommended installers are also manufacturer's authorized installer/repairers... :) Oh, by the way, their prices are usually lower than those of SM Appliances (we always compare the prices of these two places)>

• Like 2
Wolfpack

I bought all my appliances, a/c's, stove/ovens, fridges, washers/dryers, Tv's, home theaters, etc. from Abnson's (NCR, they have a branch in Ayala Cebu but I have never been there).

I don't really have any reason to buy anything from Abenson's, as the person in charge of my account is not so young, not so pretty, hehe ;) but we get a good service. Make sure the recommended installers are also manufacturer's authorized installer/repairers... :) Oh, by the way, their prices are usually lower than those of SM Appliances (we always compare the prices of these two places)>

i am told they are more energy efficient...and I will save money quickly making the change from my current units (window a/c's) to these...new type of units...

one thing I have noticed, the local 360 pharmacy here in san fernando is having trouble with the ones they have...not sure the story there...

RogerDuMond

We bought Daikin units from S&R and used the installer they contract with. Very pleased with the whole process.

• Like 2
miles-high

and I will save money quickly making the change from my current units (window a/c's) to these

My guestimate is that I am paying about 50% less in electricity, per unit... another benefit of the split-type a/c is it is very quiet... you can hear a pin drop... ;)

• Like 1
Wolfpack

We bought Daikin units from S&R and used the installer they contract with. Very pleased with the whole process.

how much were they?

RogerDat

Greetings! I found this :  http://www.carrier.com.ph/brands/carrier/CarrierZenHi-wallMultiSplits.asp

It is a split multi evaporator with one outside unit. I think it has 3 compressors in it, so if one fails, the others keep working.

Carrier has a store in Mandue on the right side going to Mactan bridge.

They sell and install.

• Like 1
austwin

Greetings! I found this :  http://www.carrier.com.ph/brands/carrier/CarrierZenHi-wallMultiSplits.asp

It is a split multi evaporator with one outside unit. I think it has 3 compressors in it, so if one fails, the others keep working.

Carrier has a store in Mandue on the right side going to Mactan bridge.

They sell and install.

This one might be the go as I have 3 areas to cover. I will need to enquire if it is an inverter type.

Thanks to all for the helpful responses.