Hello! Newbie here...

Brucewayne

Silliman had a big collection of WWII photos in  the library.     Maybe they don't  want to evoke anti Japanese  sentiments.

That could very well be the case, but the young need to know the past mistakes to avoid taking the same path in the future.

Stardust

That could very well be the case, but the young need to know the past mistakes to avoid taking the same path in the future.

I did study  the Bataan march on  my own.   

Edited by Stardust
Brucewayne

I did study  the Bataan march on  my own.    My   theory is that the term LBFM refers to Filipinas during WWII

I would have to read up on that, as my own knowledge of Philippine history is lacking.

Sounds interesting though.

Stardust

I would have to read up on that, as my own knowledge of Philippine history is lacking.

Sounds interesting though.

quiz

what was the most common nutritional deficiency that killed prisoners of war at camp O'Donnell (survivors of Bataan death march)?

what was the first national street in  the Philippines?

what was the first capitol city?

Edited by Stardust

Spent two tours in VN never heard the term LMFM there

Paul

I did study  the Bataan march on  my own.    My   theory is that the term LBFM refers to Filipinas during WWII

Just in case you are interested, using that term on this site can get you banned, permanently. So, don't do it - ever.  

It is a derogatory term that I, personally, do not like. Another one is FLIP. As long as you have been on this forum, you should have known that by  now. 

Either way, you do now.

• Like 1
Stardust

I believe... after Spain lost the Spanish American war, the Philippines became our colony  as per the treaty.  Apparently there was confusion.. and we went to war with the Philippines (Philippine insurrection).  I am fuzzy on the details. The Japanese attacked Luzon hours after pearl harbor.

I believe... after Spain lost the Spanish American war, the Philippines became our colony  as per the treaty.  Apparently there was confusion.. and we went to war with the Philippines (Philippine insurrection).  I am fuzzy on the details. The Japanese attacked Luzon hours after pearl harbor.

Stanley Karnow's book, 'In Our Image: America's Empire in the Philippines' will give you a sound factual introduction to both incidents.

Welcome to Mingb :hi:

and in case some of you forgot...

The "Introduction Threads" forum is only for introductions. It is not for general conversation.

• Like 1
Paul

The "Introduction Threads" forum is only for introductions. It is not for general conversation.

Yep. Right on the money.

SomeRandomGuy

welcome to the forum and welcome to the Boo

'it was to thank the U.S. not only for the return of democracy' ...and thanks to the 100's of thousands of Filipino's who also fought and supported the efforts.

Do they teach in History classes that -

The US destroyed the First Democracy in the Philippines when it conquered there ( The First Philppine Republic ).

The US killed and caused upto 1,500,000 Filipino deaths when the Filipino's fought for Independence in the above war (in 1899–1902 ) when the US were the aggresive colonisers, according to some that is more than what the Japanese did.

Thought i would add this for a balance of modern History, its all ' swings and roundabouts ' ^^~.

have a nice day, peace yoh! :db:

Paul

Woden, if you want to hang around here for a while, sort out where you should discuss given topics.