OSB (oriented strand board)location in Cebu

RogerDat

Greetings! Does anyone know where IN CEBU they have OSB 4x8 plywood?

Check out bigger hardware stores, they might be able to help you out..
Haven't seen that much of that here though..
Not sure if it will survive pinoy rains!

RogerDat

Greetings! I have checked every hardware store I know of. I keep hearing their is one in Mandaue that carries it, but so far, i have not found it. The OSB I am looking for is US made,waterproof,. and can be submersed in sea water, and it will not affecte it. Partical board is not waterproof, I am not sure it is stilll made as OSB is much better. It is used in US for roof decking, wall cladding, and general building to reduce cost.

P.S. I got 2 notifications today Paul had approved this post!  ????????

SkyMan

Call Vic Enterprises.  I think I've seen it there.

http://here.com/philippines/mandaue-city/business-industry/vic-enterprises--608wcb4e-cff9fb8dd9d44928bfa7f268cd7ad305

Be aware you will have to explain to them what OSB is and that they may know it by a different name.  If not there I'd try Atlantic HW a couple blocks down.  When you go in the front door go through the doors on the right and then to the back of the store.  The older guy behind the counter there tends to know what I'm talking about when I ask for stuff.

Knowdafish

Call Vic Enterprises.  I think I've seen it there.

http://here.com/philippines/mandaue-city/business-industry/vic-enterprises--608wcb4e-cff9fb8dd9d44928bfa7f268cd7ad305

Be aware you will have to explain to them what OSB is and that they may know it by a different name.  If not there I'd try Atlantic HW a couple blocks down.  When you go in the front door go through the doors on the right and then to the back of the store.  The older guy behind the counter there tends to know what I'm talking about when I ask for stuff.

I've found that showing a picture frequently clarifies things too.

OSB7.jpg

• Like 1
thebob

That looks like particle board to me, but it isn't water resistant.

Knowdafish

The pic I posted above is OSB or oriented strand board, notice the strands? It is water resistant due to the glue used to manufacture it, but it is not waterproof, and will eventually breakdown if allowed to remain wet. 

Here is a pic of particle board, which has no strands and is made mainly from sawdust and small particles of wood:

particleboard2.jpg

Notice the difference? 

Edited by Knowdafish
  • Like 1
SkyMan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriented_strand_board

Adjustments to the manufacturing process can impart differences in thickness, panel size, strength, and rigidity. OSB panels have no internal gaps or voids, and are water-resistant, although they do require additional membranes to achieve impermeability to water and are not recommended for exterior use. The finished product has properties similar to plywood, but is uniform and cheaper.[3] When tested to failure, OSB has a greater load-bearing capacity than milled wood panels.[4] It has replaced plywood in many environments, especially the North American structural panel market.

• Like 2