Sign in to follow this  
Peter C

peso to weakest level in over a year

Ozepete

wasnt there a thread about how everyone should be investing in the philippines and using a paper by a large bank as proof

Most SE investment is reasonably long term. The PSE has gone from approx. 2000 to now 6000 in the past five years, an increase of 200%. This makes investments in the US, Oz the EU etc look pretty poor during that period, don't you think?  Of course you can look at lumps and bumps but the real world considers the long term line when investing.

post-6858-0-39814700-1386403751_thumb.png

Edited by Ozepete

spooks

Most SE investment is reasonably long term. The PSE has gone from approx. 2000 to now 6000 in the past five years, an increase of 200%. This makes investments in the US, Oz the EU etc look pretty poor during that period, don't you think?  Of course you can look at lumps and bumps but the real world considers the long term line when investing.

Question is where will it now bottom out at? during 2014 as dollar gains strength and drags GBP along with it FDI will flood out. Why because too much of FDI is stock price chasing not real investment.  Every dog has its day and the PSI I think may find that in 2014 that there are new dogs on the block.

smokey

i dont think its the peso is getting weaker its the usd getting stronger real estate is climbing fast my 60,000 us house is now appraised at 120,000 in just 2 years  well two years this june 

• Like 1

Skywalker

Yesterday I saw the rate in Ayala (basement) at 71.15 to the £.  Today it's dropped slightly to 71. to the £.

post-12091-0-32825500-1386412974_thumb.jpg

Edited by Skywalker

spooks

I cannot believe they have a rate for the "Scotland Pound" let alone that it is not understood to be British......then again welcome to la la land

• Like 1

Skywalker

Perhaps they are ahead of the 'curve' and are preparing for Scottishlands forthcoming independence?   :sarcasm:

But you are right, I've never seen that in any other Country.

• Like 2

JohnFromTexas

Drop baby drop... come on 50:1!

• Like 2

PeteHK

I cannot believe they have a rate for the "Scotland Pound" let alone that it is not understood to be British......then again welcome to la la land

Must mean Scottish banknotes - guess they still have them there but a real pain to get rid of outside Scotland - maybe that's why the exchange rate for them is a bit lower than GBP.

• Like 1

spooks

Pesos usually strengthens this time of year.....NOT this year me thinks and it will start to slide as it is already too strong.

There is precious little supporting the Pinas economy outside of its trafficked people sending back funds boosting consumption.

The inward  "flood"   of FDI is but a pimple on an elephants behind when compared to peer group inflows.  Pinas does not have much to lose when the trend reverses which is perhaps the only good thing.

I see precious little of anything substantive like structural reform etc

During 2014 most of ASEAN will be placed to benefit from ASEAN economic integration, due to lack of structural reform how much is the Pinas going to lose by NOT allowing freedom of movement across borders because 'Constitutional patrimony' gets in the way. a Malay consortium has already been shafted out of the Manila Hotel debacle. Not much will change without the 'hot potato' of Constitutional amendments being undertaken.

Other ASEAN members have some legal issued to deal with and seem keen on doing so, Malaysia is tackling some of the anti competitive issues surrounding 'Bumi" policy.

I fear that the Philippines is going to be a laggard because of political dullards carrying their own baggage.

Pesos will weaken as it has done nothing yet to deserve being strong. The 'strength' has been entirely down to smoke and mirrors with major world currencies being in decline. The causes of global decline are receding. I suspect other ASEAN country's will take a hit but to no where near the extent of the Pinas as they have embraced structural reform and look forward to 2015 with optimism not fear and apprehension.

I wonder if the Pinas guys really understand the importance and the important opportunities that ASEAN can bring

I could have read the tea leaves backwards because the clouds in my coffee got in the way.

Edited by spooks
  • Like 1

PeteHK

I fear that the Philippines is going to be a laggard because of political dullards carrying their own baggage.

Same old storyline isn't it?  Though if you read Bloomberg you'd think things were looking not too bad:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-12-03/philippines-aquino-races-the-world-s-fastest-economies.html

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-12-01/after-typhoon-recovery-philippines-needs-jobs.html

Monsoon

Its wake up time for the Philippines. They have taken the world's stage and its not so pretty after all. Yes the beauty pageant contestants continue to fare well, but that won't do much for currency strength. 

JohnFromTexas

Wake up... how?  Revolution?  That's about the only thing that will change things here... it's certainly shown the simple elections will not make a difference.

spooks

Bloomberg does not live or attempt to do business here.

Edited by spooks
  • Like 1

SomeRandomGuy

But what real choice does anyone have here?

Someone has to be elected and there is not much of a choice.

People are killed and threatened and kidnapped here to keep them out of the race.

People are kept in the dark here and are only fed information by the same people that are in power.

Anyway that speaks out is... well you know what happens, even if it isn't in the papers you are not stupid.

This country will never rise up as anyone that would have had the brains and the balls to do it is an OFW. Making good money and wants to stay the frig away from here.

Shitty thing is, no matter how much we can love the people here and the country it is none of our business and we have to butt out.

I would not want people from this country coming to mine and telling me how to run it. Neither would you.

We are guests here and it is up to us to realize this and keep quiet.

• Like 2

Monsoon

I would not want people from this country coming to mine and telling me how to run it. Neither would you.

We are guests here and it is up to us to realize this and keep quiet.

Ahh, but they do come from.this country to mine and are free to say what they want about whatever they.want. Hell we even give them a passport and the right to vote in very short time. They can buy land before they even arrive.

Whether I like it or not isnt very relevant.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• Like 1