Tip for Tourists over 6 months

A_Simple_Man

EDIT:  Situation changed over last two months.  Read follow up

Here's a tip for those leaving from Cebu (Mactan) after staying more than 6 months on a tourist visa.

You probably know you need an ECC issued by BI in Mandaue. If you have had one before then you know it says it is only valid for 1 month. Thus you may think you need to make a special trip to BI just to get it.

Well here's the tip. The big dude at the welcoming desk at Mandaue told me last Wednesday that you can bring your 3 pics with you on your last tourist visa renewal. Bring your airline ticket that you are leaving with and they will make up your ECC at the same time they do they visa renewal. They will make it valid for up to 2 months as required for the airline ticket. There is no extra charge for this. (I am not clear if that means you will save the 500 peso fee or not)

For example: I can go in at 14 months and extend for 2 more months, and get the ECC at the same time, so at 16 months I can go direct to the airport and fly out. This is being done because (he said) it is less work for the BI to do it all at once. They will continue to do it until BI head office tells them they cannot do it. So keep it under your hat.  Note that I have not yet done it but since he told me it can be done then I will try on my next renewal in 2 months.

Edited by A_Simple_Man
  • Like 2
johnboy999

Keep us posted when you go back. Anything to save an extra trip to Mandaue is worthwhile :)

USMC-Retired

I would worry if I was not flying out of Cebu however a reciept and paper work should be good in Manila. Yet Manila airport BI has given Cebu BI the evil eye on things before.

• 1 month later...
A_Simple_Man

The big dude at the welcoming desk at Mandaue told me last Wednesday

Just about exactly two months ago \the big dude' gave me the info in the opening post.  Today I go in to get my 14 month extension and my ECC (two months in advance to save a trip).

The same big dude told me that the info was correct two months ago but now it is different (YMMV Its more fun here).  Now, the BI in Mandaue cannot issue ECC for tourists more than 30 days in advance of their exit flight.  Now you need a Xerox copy of your tourist ACR card attached to the App for the ECC (in addition to the pics and fingerprints).  What happens if you did not get the card?  You take a photocopy of many pages of your passport which proves you paid for it.  What happens if you have it but it has expired?  Ahhhh there's the rub.  They are not sure yet, take a photocopy of the expired card and cross your fingers.  They may force you to pay to renew the card, which allows you to stay in the country, but which you now need to exit the country after 6 months as a tourist.  Just wait a while, sir.  And don't forget to pay lotsa cash whether coming or going.

SkyMan

Just about exactly two months ago \the big dude' gave me the info in the opening post.  Today I go in to get my 14 month extension and my ECC (two months in advance to save a trip).

The same big dude told me that the info was correct two months ago but now it is different (YMMV Its more fun here).  Now, the BI in Mandaue cannot issue ECC for tourists more than 30 days in advance of their exit flight.  Now you need a Xerox copy of your tourist ACR card attached to the App for the ECC (in addition to the pics and fingerprints).  What happens if you did not get the card?  You take a photocopy of many pages of your passport which proves you paid for it.  What happens if you have it but it has expired?  Ahhhh there's the rub.  They are not sure yet, take a photocopy of the expired card and cross your fingers.  They may force you to pay to renew the card, which allows you to stay in the country, but which you now need to exit the country after 6 months as a tourist.  Just wait a while, sir.  And don't forget to pay lotsa cash whether coming or going.

Why are you leaving anyway?  You can extend your visa up to 3 years now.

KennyF

You can extend your visa up to 3 years now

?

KonC

SkyMan

You can extend your visa up to 3 years now.

?

KonC

Not at one time of course.

A_Simple_Man

Why are you leaving anyway?  You can extend your visa up to 3 years now.

OK, I missed that part. I never asked about it because I did not know that had changed.  Can you link it to save me a lot of searching?  As of two months ago that was not the case because 'big dude' told me two months ago I had to leave at 16 months or apply for extension through Manila (with extra fees and bs).

I may leave anyway, thinking about going to earn some money.  Nothing here is getting any cheaper.

johnboy999

Maybe they're tightening up on things a bit after the resignation of Commissioner David as they're not sure how tough on them the new guy is going to be? Maybe that could explain the backtracking and why they are now following the instructions from Manila.....

• Like 1
A_Simple_Man

Thanks for the links but those are all 'blind leading the blind' posts IMHO.  I see the same as always.  After 16 months you need approval from some high up in Manila and the visa fee goes up 1000 a month or so because if it.  Its always been possible to stay longer than 2 years but you need to have some very good reason like being in hospital.

Edited by A_Simple_Man
SomeRandomGuy

can    hey im just to lazy to fly back in and out    be  a reason?

SkyMan

Thanks for the links but those are all 'blind leading the blind' posts IMHO.  I see the same as always.  After 16 months you need approval from some high up in Manila and the visa fee goes up 1000 a month or so because if it.  Its always been possible to stay longer than 2 years but you need to have some very good reason like being in hospital.

Just passing it on as an option that you could just extend if you wanted to and didn't want to pay for the airline tickets needed.  Just have to do it early enough to get that approval from Manila in time.  Or you could fly to Manila and get the 6 month extension too.