Sign in to follow this  
sork

Cebuano for "basil"

sork

What's the cebuano word for basil (the spice)?

caloy

it's labeled basil in stores here.

JohninCebu

Yup, it's called basil.

Mik

I bought a large McCormick 180 grams of basil at Fooda grocery. I use it on eggs and meat. I think the Cebuano word for basil is kaluui or kaluwi.

Mike in Cebu

Edited by M.Morey

sork
I bought a large McCormick 180 grams of basil at Fooda grocery. I use it on eggs and meat. I think the Cebuano word for basil is kaluui or kaluwi.

Mike in Cebu

I make my own pasta sauce with fresh basil. I saw the dried basil (McCormick and others) in the stores just labeled "basil". But I have a feeling the fresh stuff, if available, has another name. So far nobody I've asked knows what basil or kaluwi is. I'll keep you updated.

broden

if you live there .. and can get seed(or better yet a small starter plant) .. it's really easy to grow .. in a window even just needs lots of sun and water decent soil .. basil is popular in alot of asia italy of course and really throughout the world .. possibly the most popular herb in the world (nonsmokeable :as-if: )

grow it and soon you can have it easy and handy whenever you want

Edited by broden

sork
Looks like the Cebuano word for basil is ibanag. I don't speak cebuano, but I found the word here at this site: http://www.globalpinoy.com/pinoyhealth/ph_...noy/balanoy.htm

Mike in Cebu

I found it at SM supermarket. It was labeled "BASIL". A lot of fresh basil cost 7 pesos. Happy camper here. It would've cost over $5 in the US.

Edited by sork

luther

I've grown Thai basil here in Davao which will taste good on Filipino foods such as chopped up beef with pitsay, onion, garlic, ginger. I got the seeds mail order from Richters in Canada.

For Italian foods the Italian basil is also easy to grow. I got a starter plant from a good Italian restaurant that grows their own but my brother in law helped out in the garden and down it went, if it ain't Filipino food it ain't food, right? Try getting them to eat Spaggheti with lots of oregano on it...they called it "menthol" and ran home to fry up some dried fish.

Well I love these folks but they are a wee bit ethnocentric.

Got a package of Italian seeds sent from America and I now have six baby plants. The Thai variety has been reseeding itself for over two years, don't know how my bayaw missed that.

Luther

Bob Ward

Yes, the first time I made good spaghetti for K's family, they avoided it like the plague. Then I just quadroupled the sugar, cut the spices in half and used the cheap Eden cheeses versus good parmesian. They ate it all!

Tatoosh

Ain't that the truth, Bob. I get a kick out of messing around with the sauce. I chop my basil, find some good canned tomatoes that I run through a blender. I brown my mixed ground beef and pork, then reduce some heavy cream over it to add the mouth feel back. I reduce the suace by simmering for an hour or two. Not the "all day" that true Italian recipes call for, but still better than the packet stuff, imho. But to my Pinoy friends, not so much. They like it made with banana ketchup. Sweet is good, savory not so much. So it goes. I use it for my spaghetti and reduced a bit more, for sauce in my lasagna.

freespirit

Hi..

Probably too late of a reply. I am new here.

We do have fresh basil leaves here in Cebu. You can ask in local wet markets.

In some of the dishes that i cook i use SANGIG /sa-ngig/ In English, we call it lemon basil or holy basil.

I do not know if this is what you are looking for but I hope i have shed some light :welcome: