fivestarph

I am not sure if it has been answered here already, but:-

1] to enter the Philippines on as a tourist does one have to be in possession of an outbound ticket on arrival?

2] what is the maximum number of visa extensions one is able to obtain?, ie if one is willing to pay can one just get 59 day extensions indefinitely?

thanks

Kabisay-an gid

1] to enter the Philippines on as a tourist does one have to be in possession of an outbound ticket on arrival?

No, you don't need the ticket in your possession. Upon arrival, you WILL need an airline intinerary sheet that indicates you have a reservation on an outbound flight.

Mckchrls

Just then, doesn't add up.

Got my extension last Friday - personal best, arrived at 7:50 with form completed & was all processed and out in less than 1 hour. Normally takes me at least 2 hours. Pack 1 pair of jeans now just to comply with the BOI, Mandaue dress regulations.

Mckchrls

No, you don't need the ticket in your possession. Upon arrival, you WILL need an airline intinerary sheet that indicates you have a reservation on an outbound flight.

I've never been able to get on a flight to the Philippines from KL, Bangkok, or Singapore without showing the airline checkin staff an itinerary for my flight out. But i have never been asked to show one upon arrival in the Philippines.

A_Simple_Man

Here is the BI's position on that:

JULY 22, 2012

The Bureau of Immigration (BI) will start imposing administrative fines on airlines that allow foreign tourists bound for the Philippines to board their plane even if they do not have return tickets.

Immigration Commissioner Ricardo David Jr. said he already instructed the BI airport operations division to fine any airline that permits a foreign tourist to board its aircraft without a return ticket before flying to the Philippines .

David stressed that it should be the responsibility of the airlines to see to it that all its passengers who are traveling as tourists have procured the necessary return tickets.

He said the requirement on return tickets for tourists is an international rule that is practiced and implemented in almost all other countries in the world.

“This rule is meant to guarantee that a tourist will leave the host country before the lapse of his stay as a temporary visitor,” the BI chief explained.

David said he has instructed immigration officers and their supervisors in the different ports of entry to strictly implement the rule on arriving foreign tourists.

He said those who do not have return tickets will be excluded and sent back to their port of origin.

Atty. Ma. Antonette Mangrobang, BI spokesperson and acting intelligence chief, explained that under Sec. 29 of the immigration act, aliens who arrived as tourists but do not have valid return or onward tickets shall be automatically excluded.

Mangrobang, however, stressed that Balikbayans, who are also considered tourists but are admitted for one year, are exempted from the rule in deference to the fact that they are former citizens of the Philippines .

She added that although the exclusions have inconvenienced the excluded passengers, the immigration bureau has no choice but to implement the law.###

2] what is the maximum number of visa extensions one is able to obtain?, ie if one is willing to pay can one just get 59 day extensions indefinitely?

That is vague as there are many different kinds of visa and ways of doing things.  Customarily, a tourist can stay up to 16 months doing bi monthly renewals and then leaves the country (sometimes to come back the next day and do it again)
Edited by A_Simple_Man
Woolf

Tanks A_Simple_Man !   

I have been looking for that one,

and note it does not say that the return or onward ticket must be within 21 days

A_Simple_Man

note it does not say that the return or onward ticket must be within 21 days

You're welcome.  The 21 day thing is a result of individual BI officials at the entry points deciding for themselves how to interpret the official position.  I have had the officials give me a lecture that my ticket must be within 21 days but I have not been denied entry when my exit ticket is beyond the 21 days.

ed villas

I am not sure if it has been answered here already, but:-

thanks

1. YES

2. 16 months (up to 24) under E.O>408

check this link out,, its pretty amazing, it even has dicussed your questions manytimes, just look at the link

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/forum/30-passports-visas-permits-immigration-information/

then check out this link

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=36

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=207&Itemid=80

Edited by ed villas
udonthani

Just then, doesn't add up.

Got my extension last Friday - personal best, arrived at 7:50 with form completed & was all processed and out in less than 1 hour. Normally takes me at least 2 hours. Pack 1 pair of jeans now just to comply with the BOI, Mandaue dress regulations.

noe of my more recent extensions at Mandaue have taken anything like 2 hours. It used to take around that, or not much less years ago in about 2007 and 2008. Then they improved with the speed, it helps a lot if you arrive early like you did. I timed each of my five last extensions at Mandaue in the past 3 years, they are always quite early morning, between 8am and 9am. The times were remarkably  consistent at between 50 and 60 minutes for each one.

udonthani

He said the requirement on return tickets for tourists is an international rule that is practiced and implemented in almost all other countries in the world.

the rule is for onward tickets, not return tickets.

softail

JULY 22, 2012

The Bureau of Immigration (BI) will start imposing administrative fines on airlines that allow foreign tourists bound for the Philippines to board their plane even if they do not have return tickets.

Immigration Commissioner Ricardo David Jr. said he already instructed the BI airport operations division to fine any airline that permits a foreign tourist to board its aircraft without a return ticket before flying to the Philippines .

David stressed that it should be the responsibility of the airlines to see to it that all its passengers who are traveling as tourists have procured the necessary return tickets.

“This rule is meant to guarantee that a tourist will leave the host country before the lapse of his stay as a temporary visitor,” the BI chief explained.

David said he has instructed immigration officers and their supervisors in the different ports of entry to strictly implement the rule on arriving foreign tourists.

He said those who do not have return tickets will be excluded and sent back to their port of origin.

Atty. Ma. Antonette Mangrobang, BI spokesperson and acting intelligence chief, explained that under Sec. 29 of the immigration act, aliens who arrived as tourists but do not have valid return or onward tickets shall be automatically excluded.

Mangrobang, however, stressed that Balikbayans, who are also considered tourists but are admitted for one year, are exempted from the rule in deference to the fact that they are former citizens of the Philippines .

She added that although the exclusions have inconvenienced the excluded passengers, the immigration bureau has no choice but to implement the law.###

That is vague as there are many different kinds of visa and ways of doing things.  Customarily, a tourist can stay up to 16 months doing bi monthly renewals and then leaves the country (sometimes to come back the next day and do it again)

Thanks for the tip, I had no idea that  Balikbayans were exempt from the outbound ticket requirement.  Could same some money.

Doug

As an afterthought, I guess they wouldn't let you on the plane from your point of origin anyway without that outbound ticket

Edited by softail
A_Simple_Man

Thanks for the tip, I had no idea that  Balikbayans were exempt from the outbound ticket requirement.  Could same some money.   Doug   As an afterthought, I guess they wouldn't let you on the plane from your point of origin anyway without that outbound ticket

Thats another one that is often left up to the judgement of the BI Official on arrival.  Does this apply only to the former citizens (Balikbayans) or to their foreign families who accompany them?  To me the wording is obvious but who knows what goes on in the minds of officious border guards.

If you want to take advantage of not needing an exit ticket when coming on a Balikbayan I have heard the Philippine Airlines are the way to go.  They are the ones who are up to date on all the Balikbayan rules.  You could even ask them in advance so you are not stuck at the check in desk with no exit ticket.
Kabisay-an gid

I've never been able to get on a flight to the Philippines from KL, Bangkok, or Singapore without showing the airline checkin staff an itinerary for my flight out. But i have never been asked to show one upon arrival in the Philippines.

I flew into the Phils from the States just this past March. They asked for mine.

It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

It's especially important for "first timers" to the Phils to have one.

Edited by Kabisay-an gid