Coming to Cebu for 3months late August (With Intent to Stay) apt and friends wanted

SirMadrigal

Knowdafish

Thanks Tim, I am actually looking into DHL'ing my stuff now, I have looked at the option of the H2Go ferry as well and it may not be so bad if I get a state room, some R&R on the boat for a day or so, maybe see some nice islands on the way there as well.

Im open to any ideas (except for staying in Manila hah)

I wouldn't consider taking a ferry in August which is in the middle of the wet/typhoon season. 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SirMadrigal

• BFHammer

• ThomsonJr

• newbster

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have you ever been to Asia? Have you ever been to the tropics? Is this your first time to the Philippines? I remember everything I expected the Philippines to be before I arrived - was totally forgot

hi and welcome to the forum!    if you're looking to be near movies, nitelife, restaurants and what not, i would stay out of banawa and mandaue and simply hit the ground and stay in one of the many

Wise words to get a taxi and the Diplomat is a nice place and central location.  Do NOT be in a hurry to select a long term place and transportation is a key factor.  Consider a house vs condo rental

BFHammer

Yeah I'm pretty much the same size as the new Defensive Tackle the Vikings just signed so I'll likely be skipping jeepney rides. 

I'm in burnsville originally from hastings.

That townhouse sounds perfect and a great connection for you.  family member of your friend should ensure you are well treated.  I'd go for it.

Manila is also #5 on the worst airports in the world.  http://travel.cnn.com/explorations/life/10-most-hated-airports-324645

SirMadrigal

Yeah I'm pretty much the same size as the new Defensive Tackle the Vikings just signed so I'll likely be skipping jeepney rides. 

I'm in burnsville originally from hastings.

That townhouse sounds perfect and a great connection for you.  family member of your friend should ensure you are well treated.  I'd go for it.

Manila is also #5 on the worst airports in the world.  http://travel.cnn.com/explorations/life/10-most-hated-airports-324645

I would have to sat Hartsfield in Atlanta GA USA is the worst in the world, especially if you are coming in from out of the country, Customs is a nightmare there.

jtmwatchbiz

That townhouse sounds perfect and a great connection for you.

the townhouse is in mandaue city. have you made it to cebu already and been to neighboring mandaue? while it may be ok for someone who has a good reason to be in mandaue or wants to just hang inside the condo, mandaue won't be convenient as a jumping off location considering his areas of interests, and down right impossible to get in and out of during rush hour and constant other unpredictable traffic issues unless one has a helicopter...

• Like 1
ThomsonJr

Have you ever been to Asia? Have you ever been to the tropics? Is this your first time to the Philippines?

I remember everything I expected the Philippines to be before I arrived - was totally forgotten when I stepped out of the taxi in Cebu, and I had been living in Asia for more than 2 years.

You're already trying to figure out what house/apartment you're going to rent and in which area before you even visited. It's better you start thinking about all that when you're already in Cebu. Theres plenty of vacant homes in the city and plenty of foreigners to hang out with, you don't need to worry about that. Even without the use of the Internet you'll be able to make friends.

It just depends where you like to hang out and where you feel comfortable... you can't know before visiting.

Edited by ThomsonJr
  • Like 2
Knowdafish

I would have to sat Hartsfield in Atlanta GA USA is the worst in the world, especially if you are coming in from out of the country, Customs is a nightmare there.

Manila makes Atlanta look like polished gold. At least Atlanta is reasonably clean, smells decent, and has edible stuff to eat in their airport. 

SirMadrigal

Have you ever been to Asia? Have you ever been to the tropics? Is this your first time to the Philippines?

I remember everything I expected the Philippines to be before I arrived - was totally forgotten when I stepped out of the taxi in Cebu, and I had been living in Asia for more than 2 years.

You're already trying to figure out what house/apartment you're going to rent and in which area before you even visited. It's better you start thinking about all that when you're already in Cebu. Theres plenty of vacant homes in the city and plenty of foreigners to hang out with, you don't need to worry about that. Even without the use of the Internet you'll be able to make friends.

It just depends where you like to hang out and where you feel comfortable... you can't know before visiting.

I have been to thailand and vietnam, never the Philippines however I have definitely slummed it in some remote villages in Eastern Europe and I assure you the worst part of Cebu can't be any worse than BFE Siberian village haha, I work from home a lot and am kind of a hermit mostly. I will be on a USA time zone for work which means that the majority of the week I will be in my place from like 10pm - 6am Cebu time working and then sleeping until the afternoon, its not Ideal but no choice really

SirMadrigal

Manila makes Atlanta look like polished gold. At least Atlanta is reasonably clean, smells decent, and has edible stuff to eat in their airport. 

The "International" airport in Odessa Ukraine is smaller than some broom Closets I have had in my life, it is literally about 200M2 for the entire "Airport" no Air conditioning and no food.

I know Manila is a dump as I have many associates who have gone through Manila on business and said that Makati was ok but most of manila to them was awful. Then again, NYC is one of the most expensive trash heaps in the world, I despise New York, its filthy, Loud and Expensive hence why i don't live there.

I'd much prefer to be in Cebu I am sure.

ThomsonJr

I have definitely slummed it in some remote villages in Eastern Europe and I assure you the worst part of Cebu can't be any worse than BFE Siberian village haha

You didn't know how wrong you were when you wrote that.

BFHammer

the townhouse is in mandaue city. have you made it to cebu already and been to neighboring mandaue? while it may be ok for someone who has a good reason to be in mandaue or wants to just hang inside the condo, mandaue won't be convenient as a jumping off location considering his areas of interests, and down right impossible to get in and out of during rush hour and constant other unpredictable traffic issues unless one has a helicopter...

Good info.   I was saying from what info I had it seems like a great place to stay.  Like when I visit I'll likely be moving around after both rush hours similarly to what I do here except I'll be having fun and not working.   Or whether he seeks specific areas of town to hang out in or simply wants food, bar, etc nearby. 

SirMadrigal

Maybe I will just rent a BPO space and sleep at my desk! haha  Internet and Telephony are the two most important things for me.

ThomsonJr

Good info.   I was saying from what info I had it seems like a great place to stay.  Like when I visit I'll likely be moving around after both rush hours similarly to what I do here except I'll be having fun and not working.   Or whether he seeks specific areas of town to hang out in or simply wants food, bar, etc nearby. 

Mandaue is still in metro Cebu but it's not really Cebu City, it's Mandaue City. Best places to live, near everything, are Lahug, Banawa, Guadalupe, Mabolo and some parts of Banilad.

• Like 1
SirMadrigal

as much as I hate to burn money on hotels just to find an apartment there seems I have no choice really.

gmb8585

as for accomodation i would suggest the Metro Park Hotel in Lahug.  simple room with air con and fridge in high season is 900 per day or 22000 per month or 1 bedroom condo only 29000 per month, everything included. hotel has pool, and great staff and is walking distance to ayala, sm and shops in lahug

ThomsonJr

Cebu short time accomodation is quite expensive unless you're willing to spend big money. Of course theres places like the Metro Park hotel, but for 29,000 per month you'll get a 18 year old TV in the room and stuff like that. That's ones of the things I don't like about the Philippines... it's the hotel rooms and the prices, they are cheap compared to the west but compared to places like Thailand they are so over priced especially in Metro Cebu, and the rooms really aren't that nice, unless you are willing to spend 1500 per day and that adds up at the end of the month... and makes me feel kinda ripped off when I walk out of the hotel and see beggars and people struggling on 200P per day or less everywhere. I might be exagerating a bit here, but the buget hotels in Cebu are so shit compared to other SEA countries... it's unbelievable.

When it comes to houses and apartments for rent, you don't need to worry. Theres plenty of good places around.

Edited by ThomsonJr
  • Like 1