Coming to Cebu for 3months late August (With Intent to Stay) apt and friends wanted

SirMadrigal

SirMadrigal

Hello all,

Im from the states and have been researching for quite some time life in Cebu, I am coming to Philippines August 22nd. I touch down in Manila. I figured I would hang in Manila 2-3 days and recover from the massive trek to the complete opposite side of the planet before embarking on my trip to Cebu.

I have been doing my best to research parts of Cebu City and the burbs to the best of my ability and I am trying to make a decision on where I should stay initially.

I have looked at lapu-Lapu, Cebu City proper, Mandaue, Banawa mainly, can anyone lend me some suggestions on where to stay for a first timer. I as anyone else like ammenities and comfort but I am also no snob, its not like I have to have the Trump Tower a la Cebu or anything.

I have been trying to navigate all the Internet providers like PLTD, Globe's Tattoo and the Cable TV internet as well, as i will be working during this trip an internet connection is a complete necessity and the faster and more stable the better (I am not expecting US quality standards however so don't flame me please).

I do have one connection through a friend in Mandaue, he owns many Townhouses there in a gated community and was offering a Townhouse that was 102m2 for 16,000PHP a month which seemed very reasonable actually for what it is and the photos he showed me but then he said there is no Jeepney access in this part of Mandaue and that you have to get a Trike to take you to a Jeepney spot and then take the Jeepney into Cebu.

So I think I am going to pass on this as it is my first trip to Cebu and I want something a little more convenient.

Does anyone here live in a nice walking area close to Cinemas and stores and have a suggestion? Id like to have as many ducks lined up as possible before i show up with a fresh pair of "Wet Ears"

I look forward to getting to know you all.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SirMadrigal

• BFHammer

• ThomsonJr

• newbster

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have you ever been to Asia? Have you ever been to the tropics? Is this your first time to the Philippines? I remember everything I expected the Philippines to be before I arrived - was totally forgot

hi and welcome to the forum!    if you're looking to be near movies, nitelife, restaurants and what not, i would stay out of banawa and mandaue and simply hit the ground and stay in one of the many

Wise words to get a taxi and the Diplomat is a nice place and central location.  Do NOT be in a hurry to select a long term place and transportation is a key factor.  Consider a house vs condo rental

jtmwatchbiz

hi and welcome to the forum! 

if you're looking to be near movies, nitelife, restaurants and what not, i would stay out of banawa and mandaue and simply hit the ground and stay in one of the many nice pension houses located walking distance from either ayala or fuente circle.

on your initial arrival, i suggest you get a taxi from the airport to the diplomat hotel on ramos st, as it's in a convenient spot and then you can chill out there as a temp home base and take your time to select a decent pension house to stay in until you either pick out a nice apt or house, or pull the plug and head back to the USA :)

enjoy and stay in touch!

fred

guadalupe heights

• Like 1
passingby

Wise words to get a taxi and the Diplomat is a nice place and central location.  Do NOT be in a hurry to select a long term place and transportation is a key factor.  Consider a house vs condo rental to start with as a house you will or should have at least one household staff for security.  Condos are generally safe - lock the door and take off for a day or two or three.  Likewise check out the internet available in the area you select.  As you are a new member IF you can figure out a way to contact me I can give you a few more tips as I went through the same process and in fact DID stay at the Diplomat for the first 3 days I was here several years ago.  Good luck and there are a LOT of good people on this board which will help for questions

• Like 1
SirMadrigal

i am assuming a pension house is a guest house of someone? not quite sure of the term.

since i was coming to cebu for 3 months i was planning on bringing a large suitcase with me but the airlines from manila to cebu seem to have baggage fees that are highway robbery!!!

going to have to see what my options are here, no bag fee to manila but to pay 250usd for a ticket to cebu just so i can bring some clothes seems very steep.

SirMadrigal

because from where i am asiana is 1650.00 to cebu, my flight to mnl was 890.00

SkyMan

Try KAL or I think Cathay Pacific flies straight to Cebu.  Manila is a dump anyway.

Question though, is that a one way or a round trip you're taking?

Edited by SkyMan
Cebudog

Do you play sports such as golf?

Edited by Cebudog
mistaeric

because from where i am asiana is 1650.00 to cebu, my flight to mnl was 890.00

You saved over $500+ on your ticket,use that cash to pay for your Cebu pacific luggage fees. Can't have it both ways guy!

If U can find a Filipino store in your area check on shipping  a box or two over to Cebu City ... maybe to your friend  (I do have one connection through a friend in Mandaue, he owns many Townhouses there in a gated community and was offering a Townhouse that was 102m2 for 16,000PHP a month which seemed very reasonable actually for what it is and the photos he showed me) and ask him to hold them for U. If U ship in the next two weeks (end of June) they should be there by end of month August. If U stay at a hotel (like the Diplomat ) for your first month U can have the box (s) sent there ...  just text the Diplomat and get rates ... and ask if U can ship a box to them for yourself ... the special rate in August at the Diplomat Hotel should be 1360 php per day... ask for a room in the new wing...

(with the mod(s) permission here is the diplomat hotel email address... [email protected])

this  way U only have to carry limited bags... a box should cost about $100.00 each... alot cheaper than paying for baggage with the airlines.... I have been doing this slowly over the past year and now just have to carry one carryon and one checkin bag on my trips ... my goal in the next few years is only to bring a carryon and not use any checkin bags for the entire trip... I hate giving the airlines any extra moneys for baggage... just a rip off ....

Have a great time in Cebu City...

Edited by tim
SirMadrigal

Do you play sports such as golf?

I have played a few times and am quite horrible at it, I have played Football, Baseball and Basketball mainly all my life.

Golf is a "Gentleman's Sport" I am too much of a commoner heh

BFHammer

From here it was the same price or within 100 to fly asiana.  Me personally I'd take the townhouse, trike or taxi to where you want to go won't cost much and you can walk from your starting point after that.   Or how far is a walk to the jeepneys?   The place I'm looking at staying in he said is 5 minutes from them I think, not even a warm up walk.

16000 P for a month vs 4-6 nights in a hotel for the same money.  Especially if the townhouse has internet.

Plus your coming into a completely new environment and likely a bit overwhelmed at times, the townhouse sounds like it's a good retreat to unwind at without honking, yelling, screaming, ladyboy brawls or whatever happens in the urban part.  I don't have experience with jeepney's but they don't look like they would be comfortable for anyone taller than 5 ft.  Or look up the guy on this site that rents bikes, that looked really reasonable as well.  I can't think of his name atm, he does safe keeping, helps with passports/visa as well.

SirMadrigal

If U can find a Filipino store in your area check on shipping  a box or two over to Cebu City ... maybe to your friend  (I do have one connection through a friend in Mandaue, he owns many Townhouses there in a gated community and was offering a Townhouse that was 102m2 for 16,000PHP a month which seemed very reasonable actually for what it is and the photos he showed me) and ask him to hold them for U. If U ship in the next two weeks (end of June) they should be there by end of month August. If U stay at a hotel (like the Diplomat ) for your first month U can have the box (s) sent there ...  just text the Diplomat and get rates ... and ask if U can ship a box to them for yourself ... the special rate in August at the Diplomat Hotel should be 1360 php per day... ask for a room in the new wing...

(with the mod(s) permission here is the diplomat hotel email address... [email protected])

this  way U only have to carry limited bags... a box should cost about $100.00 each... alot cheaper than paying for baggage with the airlines.... I have been doing this slowly over the past year and now just have to carry one carryon and one checkin bag on my trips ... my goal in the next few years is only to bring a carryon and not use any checkin bags for the entire trip... I hate giving the airlines any extra moneys for baggage... just a rip off ....

Have a great time in Cebu City...

Thanks Tim, I am actually looking into DHL'ing my stuff now, I have looked at the option of the H2Go ferry as well and it may not be so bad if I get a state room, some R&R on the boat for a day or so, maybe see some nice islands on the way there as well.

Im open to any ideas (except for staying in Manila hah)

SirMadrigal

From here it was the same price or within 100 to fly asiana.  Me personally I'd take the townhouse, trike or taxi to where you want to go won't cost much and you can walk from your starting point after that.   Or how far is a walk to the jeepneys?   The place I'm looking at staying in he said is 5 minutes from them I think, not even a warm up walk.

16000 P for a month vs 4-6 nights in a hotel for the same money.  Especially if the townhouse has internet.

Plus your coming into a completely new environment and likely a bit overwhelmed at times, the townhouse sounds like it's a good retreat to unwind at without honking, yelling, screaming, ladyboy brawls or whatever happens in the urban part.  I don't have experience with jeepney's but they don't look like they would be comfortable for anyone taller than 5 ft.  Or look up the guy on this site that rents bikes, that looked really reasonable as well.  I can't think of his name atm, he does safe keeping, helps with passports/visa as well.

Hey Hammer,

I am keeping all options open at this time, the place he has is really nice new construction and it is in a gated community with security, this guy is a very well off Filipino that is a builder and also owns some sort of a snack food distribution company selling snacks to all the stores in the Cebu City area, he is a family member of a friend of mine and that is how I got to know him.

I am just under 6'3 so a jeepney may also suck for me haha, I see it says you are from Minnesota? What area? I spent quite a long bit in Wayzata near Minn.

I look forward to the time when I am actually a member with 50 posts so I can PM a couple people here.

mpt1947

Welcome to the Forum

Another option for when you first arrive is Radisson Blu - right next to SM I think it may have a skyway over - you can get good rates - starting about $80/Night.  Once you have your sea legs you can go look for something more permeant 

I might re-consider the town home for under $400/month - furnished? As someone else mentioned does it have internet?  We take taxis most places we go - most expensive ride is around 250 pesos ($5.95).  Paul - the owner has a taxi service he has recommended or if you find a driver that brings you home at night make arrangements that he will be your on call driver when you need him.

There is a lot to do in and around Cebu - although I live in the City and I haven't seen any Ladyboy fights....

Again welcome to the forum 

PS just thank people a lot and you will have your 50 posts in no time - 

• Like 1