Greetings All! Moving to Cebu in August (Bit of A Plunger haha)

SirMadrigal

Greetings to all, I'm an American traveling about on this 3rd rock from the sun and seeking my new place, I had been strolling about Eastern Europe mainly Ukraine (Odessa) to be exact and have loved every second of it however it seems it is time for me to explore the Philippines.

I touch down in Manila August 22nd, I figured I would spend 2-3 days in Manila initially just to recover from the travel and check things out and make sure I don't actually want to live in Manila. That being said however, everything about big city life is generally a huge turn off for me. I have done Los Angeles and New York in the states and I despise both.

I like to fancy myself fairly street smart however it never hurts to try and find some expats and friendly locals to show one the ropes when headed to a new country. I have been able to manage living in Ukraine (which is arguably just as corrupt as anywhere in the world) and pay the local prices for Taxis and Apartment rentals, I was able to avoid being gouged as a "Foreigner" fairly well.

I am hoping to do the same in Cebu. I am hoping that this forum will end up being a wealth of information for me as I am finding it very hard to find reliable information on things such as Internet Service Providers in Cebu and which ones actually have quality speeds and stable service (it is of the utmost importance for me).

There must be some good IT Infrastructure there as Cebu is the fastest growing outsourcing and BPO city in the world, hell my terrible Comcast Cable TV and ISP service company has a call center there!

I know I am not arriving for a couple months but I would love to make some new friends and get a lay of the land, I will give you some information about me.

31 Year Old Guy / Single

Not a Sexpat or a Wife Hunter

Easy Going not Typical snobby Westerner (as long as my apartment is in a good location and relatively decent I am a happy dude)

Internet Entrepreneur (Not currently a successful one however haha) / Gamer Geek

I am going to dive into this website and really check it out and see what I can come up with.

ANY help finding some good leads on apartments where I won't get "Bent Over" would be greatly appreciated.

I have so Many questions!!! I don't wanna ramble on my first post.

Nice Meeting you all!

M

CebuKano

Welcome to the forums! Hope your plans work out and you enjoy it here in Cebu.

CebuKano

Yeah right.

Don't mind the abnormals here that post stupid shit. They can't help themselves.... Probably limited education. Or brain damage :D

Half Baked

Welcome to the forum, SirMadrigal! Tons o' information on this forum for you to check out regarding Living in Cebu, Philippines.

redman69

Welcome, I would say there is nothing as far as internet in RP like the states or many other western countries. Wait until you live in a area. and find what is best there. Globe seems to be the best in the whole country. but in many areas Sun and star seem better.

if you are hetro, you will be a sexpat. just except it. the girls will be coming at you like white on rice.

Do not buy anything until you have lived there a year. And I mean in the area you are living. not one year in RP.

Good luck, on the type of people here. Well opinions are like assholes. we all have one. the chance of you agreeing with everyone here is zero.

ThomsonJr

Don't mind the abnormals here that post stupid shit. They can't help themselves.... Probably limited education. Or brain damage :D

Of course, they are probably Sexpats or Wife hunters... a shame to society! Right?

• Admin (Retired)
broden

welcome to the forum,

and lets keep in mind this is an introduction thread in the introduction forum

anything else you want to discuss you are going to want to take elsewhere

• Like 1
Dolsos

Nice to have some younger people around here, at 32 I rarely see anyone my age.  

If things don't get better soon I may not be here when you arrive, but if I am feel free to get in touch and we can show you around a bit.  

Edited by Dolsos
  • Like 1
CebuKano

Of course, they are probably Sexpats or Wife hunters... a shame to society! Right?

I will let what Mr. Broden posted be my answer. And welcome again to SirMadrical.

Edited by Motörhead
SirMadrigal

Yeah right.

Believe whatever you want, the reason I am coming is to actually have a decent chance at succeeding with my business. Unlike the States where Fed and State Taxes, new healthcare law requirements and everything is constantly being stacked up against the small business owner in an attempt to seemingly ensure failure.

SirMadrigal

Yes, I dismissed it as soon as I saw it. But hey, I am used to it, I must have been asked a 1,000 times during my stay in Ukraine if "You are here looking for your wife". It used to offend me, then it merely annoyed me and after a while I just didn't care anymore at all.

As an American living abroad I experienced all the stereotypes I never knew existed and learned to just let it roll right off and not even bother me,

SirMadrigal

Nice to have some younger people around here, at 32 I rarely see anyone my age.  

If things don't get better soon I may not be here when you arrive, but if I am feel free to get in touch and we can show you around a bit.  

I'd be very happy to hang out, I am going to be the "First Boots on the Ground" in Cebu and if I find it will work out then my business partner who is also 31 will be coming over for a few months to work on it with me. So I can bring a few younger guys to Cebu haha.

ThomsonJr

Of course, out of all counties you chosen Ukraine and the Philippines... you can't blame them for thinking that.

Have fun in the Philippines.  :yahoo:

SirMadrigal

Of course, out of all counties you chosen Ukraine and the Philippines... you can't blame them for thinking that.

Have fun in the Philippines.  :yahoo:

In all Honestly Ukraine is one of the most beautiful countries I have ever had the pleasure of being in, I studied Russian for years in school in the states and wanted to have a chance to fumble my way through it in a truly immersed situation. Southern Ukraine is almost excusively Russian speaking (Western Ukrainians have an Extreme Patriot complex and refuse to speak Russian even though they clearly know how).

I would highly recommend Ukraine to anyone who has never been, especially if you like Winter Sport, the Carpathians are awesome!

Since I will be in the Philippines now looks like I need to find a PADI shop and learn to dive, I seriously doubt there will be much Snowboarding to be done in Cebu :-\